Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: All purpose tactical shotgun, pump vs semi?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Anybody know if 1301's are drop safe?
    From the looks of things, just about as drop proof as most shotguns, better than some.

The trigger is blocked by a cross-bolt safety, which should hold the sear surfaces in tight engagement - so long as the safety is engaged.

There is no physical block to keep the hammer from falling if the shotgun is dropped with enough force to move the trigger w/o the safety engaged.

Likewise, there is no firing pin safety. The firing pin spring holds the firing pin to the rear, so any drop would have to impart sufficient force to overcome that spring resistance with enough energy to also ignite the primer.

Essentially the same deal as most all pump and semi shotguns with cross-bolt safeties, IMO.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    From the looks of things, just about as drop proof as most shotguns, better than some.

The trigger is blocked by a cross-bolt safety, which should hold the sear surfaces in tight engagement - so long as the safety is engaged.

There is no physical block to keep the hammer from falling if the shotgun is dropped with enough force to move the trigger w/o the safety engaged.

Likewise, there is no firing pin safety. The firing pin spring holds the firing pin to the rear, so any drop would have to impart sufficient force to overcome that spring resistance with enough energy to also ignite the primer.

Essentially the same deal as most all pump and semi shotguns with cross-bolt safeties, IMO.
    Thanks for the explanation!
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I went this route.
    ETA: Don't know why pic is sideways. It's not on my computer.
    IMG_5962.jpg
    Last edited by shadowrider; 01-20-20 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I went this route.
    IMG_5962.jpg
    Ever run your hump back through a shotgun class? The last scattergun class I ran though one guy had a Rem 11 and ended borrowing an 870 from the instructor after it was obvious reloading was an issue. It would dump fine but recharge mighty slow and could not keep up with the pumps.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    I went this route.
    IMG_5962.jpg
    I cannot tell from the pic, is that a Browning or a Remington?

Nice shotgun.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I love me a Belgian made A5 but they are definitely not the fastest to reload in the already-slow-to-reload tube-fed shotgun category.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I love me a Belgian made A5...

Isn't that the new recoil/inertia operated Browning, which uses Benelli's system (now that Benelli's patent has expired)?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've shot all manner of shotguns pretty extensively but particularly Remington 870s and 1100/11-87s. I actually prefer pump guns over autoloaders, especially when manipulating the gun for reloading under stress - that's just me, though.

The comment about learning/practicing how to feed the pig couldn't be more accurate: working ANY shotgun efficiently takes patience and repetition, especially regarding reloading.

Try out a number of shotguns before you commit to purchasing one, and make sure that you like the controls and also that you like how it shoots with the loads that you'll actually carry/use with the gun. I can't stress this part enough, as a 2 3/4" target load is VERY different than a 3"+ high brass that's made to perform a different job.

Shotguns are useful and versatile tools when the person behind the gun knows how to work it effectively and knows the limitations of the system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

Nice shotgun.
    Judging from the wood I'd say Browning. That's based on myl Browning's varying in age from pre-70 to 2015ish. All have the same checkering pattern.

On the other hand, my 870 Wingmasters have a differing pattern.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yup, I have a 1934 Belgian Browning Auto-5. The walnut is very nice. I got it at a garage sale for $200.

Let the hating commence.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast