Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: All purpose tactical shotgun, pump vs semi?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Bimmer, good point. What would you call a high round count for any gamer shotgun?
    I'm the wrong guy to ask, but there's a plethora of info in this 137-page thread!

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...00-scattergun/

Mostly the issue seems to be that springs wear out or break. It's probably as simple as inspecting those and keeping spares on hand.
    (I went with a Benelli M1/M2 instead of a Stoeger. I also have a spare set of springs, just in case, and they were NOT expensive.)

Perhaps you got lucky, and the seller was one of those guys who "builds" a gun but never shoots it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did not read the entire thread, but will add my 2 cents and experience. I have pretty extensive field shotgun experience and as long as you stick with one of the "B" guns you're fine with an auto loader. If those are out of your budget, they you're probably better off going with a pump.

The Benelli inertia shotguns can be ammo sensitive, so just be sure your load will reliably cycle the gun. Most any but the light target loads will cycle them so you generally should be fine with any standard home defense round.

I would NOT trust my life to a Stoeger.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-30-20 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Copy, a set of springs and a stock came with the SG, clearly internal springs, hoping your right. But these extra units tend to make me think, the springs were recently changed out. I will be checking.

I own lots and lots of shotguns, have an like new super 90, browning A5, Remington 1100, set up, and so,e older model 11 police shotguns I pick up and rebuilt years ago.

Thank you.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HK, thank,you,aswell, for reaching out. Not sure what you mean by " B" shotgun, I'm not yet a 3 gunner, am considering picking it up, to rekindle my skills. Just had three discs removed and replaced in my neck, remains to be seen if I can even shoot shotguns and my sniper rifles, specifically the 338lm units. Ds were not sure the recoil might cause issues.

They have said give it a try. So I'm going to.

Could you explain B shotguns, and thank you in advance.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Benelli
    Beretta

Feedback Score
    Copy, a set of springs and a stock came with the SG, clearly internal springs, hoping your right. But these extra units tend to make me think, the springs were recently changed out. I will be checking.
    If the seller can't/won't tell you, then I think somewhere in that massive thread on Enos' forum there were instructions on how to measure Stoeger springs: new vs. used vs. worn out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't asked, a friend arraigned the purchase, at my local gun shop, trying to keep things legal. Due to,this lock down, haven't spoke with the gun dealer. We're old friends, use to live right next door to me. This isn't a SG I intend on using for some time.

I just buy things like this when I can pick em up cheap. As I said, even if I went HRT the SG, replacing parts, and sold, I'd make money. I have spent the day researching these Stogers, everything I read saying their a decent SG, certainly not a B shotgun.

It is what it is. No sense in trying to make a goose into and eagle.

I purchased a super 90 back in the 90s. Still an awesome SG. Just don't use it.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    Due to,this lock down, haven't spoke with the gun dealer.
    I feel your pain. I picked up (yet another) new-to-me Glock on Friday... My FFL is closed for the "shelter in place" order, but receiving individual customers by appointment.

I have spent the day researching these Stogers, everything I read saying their a decent SG, certainly not a B shotgun.

It is what it is. No sense in trying to make a goose into and eagle.
    Stoeger is part of the Benelli/Beretta group, kind of their "Chevy" line, vs. the Cadillac and GMC (Benelli & Beretta).

My sense was that they're just about as good as a "B" gun, but the aftermarket support isn't as strong (at least it wasn't a couple years ago) and of course the resale value wouldn't be as good, either.

I was about to pull the trigger on buying a Stoeger when I had a windfall at work, so then I could spring for a Benelli M2...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I feel your pain. I picked up (yet another) new-to-me Glock on Friday... My FFL is closed for the "shelter in place" order, but receiving individual customers by appointment.

Stoeger is part of the Benelli/Beretta group, kind of their "Chevy" line, vs. the Cadillac and GMC (Benelli & Beretta).

My sense was that they're just about as good as a "B" gun, but the aftermarket support isn't as strong (at least it wasn't a couple years ago) and of course the resale value wouldn't be as good, either.

I was about to pull the trigger on buying a Stoeger when I had a windfall at work, so then I could spring for a Benelli M2...
    One of my close friends hunted a Stoeger because it was “almost” a Benelli. Nothing but problems. Sample of one of course.

Beretta - Benelli - Browning are the B guns OP. (In that order for me personally.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    One of my close friends hunted a Stoeger because it was “almost” a Benelli. Nothing but problems. Sample of one of course.

Beretta - Benelli - Browning are the B guns OP. (In that order for me personally.)
    Sample of 1 also, but the only Benelli at the local 3 gun match was a jam-a-matic.

The local 3 gun match has been a wealth of myth busting on shotgun reliability in general.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast