Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: All purpose tactical shotgun, pump vs semi?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Sample of 1 also, but the only Benelli at the local 3 gun match was a jam-a-matic.

The local 3 gun match has been a wealth of myth busting on shotgun reliability in general.
    I don't view that as a representative sample, too many *ckers messing with their guns to make them "fast."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I don't view that as a representative sample, too many *ckers messing with their guns to make them "fast."
    Stock Benelli that malfunctioned in several matches and I seem to recall him sending it back in the middle of the problems. I do know he shipped it off and continued with a different shotgun for the rest of the year, but never heard the outcome of that trip.

I admit odd, but it happened.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Right, shotguns failing at 3-gun matches is like race cars breaking down... It happens, and I don't think it reflects on the reliability of the OEM guns.

I know lots and lots of people who are Benelli fanboys because they just shoot and shoot and shoot and the "inertia" system doesn't require much/any maintenance. (And that's why I bought one, and then another.)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Stock Benelli that malfunctioned in several matches...
    Who takes a bone-stock gun to a match!? LOL...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My ALL Purpose (HD and hunting) SG is a 3.5" benelli SBE (not the 2)

Years ago it got leaned up against a truck tire that was caked in salt marsh mud and the 24" barrel rusted real bad about 8" from the muzzle. Not long after that a fellow hunter shot the front bead sight off my gun while swinging on ducks in a duck blind. Needless to say that barrel was toast.

I found a used/like new SBE2 barrel that fit my gun. The SBE2's have some improved barrel lining material so I made that my hunting barrel.

As far as the junked out original barrel: I applied for a SBS tax stamp and when it came back I had it cut to 14" which discarded the rusted area and still allowed the middle bead sight to remain on the gun almost like a new front bead. It's about 2" from the muzzle now. I have not changed a thing on the gun; no springs, lifters, ejector, lugs etc. With the 14" barrel it still cycles low brass dove shot 100% of the time and of course anything hotter. It will not cycle Fiocci reduced recoil 00 buckshot though. So I just stay away from anything that says low/reduced or target recoil loads.

To go hunting in the fall and winter I simply put the 24" barrel on and go. I have to keep a copy of the tax stamp with me though since it is an NFA item now.

I'll bet I have 10k rounds though it and never a single hiccup. It's the long gun that I'm most familiar with since I use it so often.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Who takes a bone-stock gun to a match!? LOL...
    He wasn't the biggest oddball there though.

I am still shooting an 870/20" choked with rifle sights, medium oversized safety, elastic side saddle, and a Magpul forearm with light. What I use (and what I hope to be using in a couple of weeks) turkey hunting with the only match modification being a 3 shot extension.

Occasionally competitive on shotgun stages if i don't screw up (and others do), although that is fading as the box magazine fed shotguns become more reliable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    My ALL Purpose (HD and hunting) SG is a 3.5" benelli SBE (not the 2)
    ... I have not changed a thing on the gun; no springs, lifters, ejector, lugs etc.
    One Benelli weakness is you never think about the recoil spring in the stock. They can rust, especially if you hunt around salt water. Not saying you need to replace it, but clean, inspect, and lube on occasion would be good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    One Benelli weakness is you never think about the recoil spring in the stock...
    ... but that's hardly a Benelli exclusive. Don't many semi-autos have their recoil springs in the stock? (Our never-ran-right Remington 1100 did.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But I have never heard anyone claim the 1100 to be a maintenance free design...

Didn't mean to single out the Benelli, just wanted to say that if you have a recoil spring in the stock clean and lube it occasionally. More often if you hunt around salt water.

Feedback Score
    I don’t care for pumpers,but that’s a personal choice. A few suggestions:

Get a shotgun with easily removable magazine tubes - the original premise was a tactical, so we’re assuming a full length magazine. I have a Mossberg 930 JMPro, which comes from the factory with Nordic tubes, which are really easy to replace - no fighting with the spring retainer which is hard to get out, but when it yields, it’ll hit you in the eye. Nordic sells a plug which screws into the magazine nut(their part), and has a qd Mount on the end. If you have something different, replace the tube and nut with an original without a tube; don’t forget a shorter spring. Install magazine block as appropriate. 3/8” dowel cut to length. I leave mine in for all hunting, not just federal migratory. If you can’t get the job done with 3 rounds, go home! With screw in chokes, one can do anything. Carlson’s makes a very nice rifled choke for slugs; my gun came with the other chokes I’d need.

-look at the OR3GUN.com website for better vent tubes.

- look at beartoothproducts.com They make neoprene sleeves which slide over the stock, fore end and barrel, and are available in a few types of camouflage. Your gun will wind up looking like a standard camo gun.

You’ll wind up with a shotgun that looks purpose built for hunting.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I have always been a pump kinda guy. They just work no matter what you put through them. Keep up your maintenance, replace parts that need replaced, and you’re good to go.

However, times have changed. Technology has changed. Weapons have changed. I’m hoping that by next Tuesday I will have my 1301 Tactical in hand.

Lightweight, extremely reliable, fast shooting, parts availability, mods available.

It’s gonna be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MrHandsome View Post
    Looking to build a supped up pump or semi. Which and why?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast