Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: All purpose tactical shotgun, pump vs semi?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a 590A1 and an M4. The 590 is just fun. Plenty accurate. The M4 is fast, accurate and reliable. I don’t have an RDS on mine but can hit about 2” groups with slugs at 25 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I just went to Mossberg and will never look back to Remington. **** them.

I also don’t wish I bought an M4. This is a toy and I love pumping hard to get that shot off. An M4 would be too practical.

With the red dot I can hit a 4” circle using Winchester 1oz slugs at 50y consistently. It’s just so much fun and I can’t wait to blast a doe with it next year.

The worst part about owning a pump shotgun is listening to all the boomers at the range say “JUST GOTTA RACK THAT ACTION. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT SOUND IS AND WILL RUN AWAY!”

Idiots. Then because I am abrasive and a dick I have to point out that giving away one’s position is tactically unsound without knowing how many of them there are. Plus the slow rate of fire coupled with overpenetration issues. I’d never grab this if I needed to defend myself with a gun. What a foolish choice. Stupid boomers.

ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    •The M4 is in the field with the USMC. It is heavy, but also the most abuse tested of the three. Poor stock has a ridiculous LOP.

•The M2... suffers the same stock problem as the M4.

Maybe it's because I have orangutan arms, but the LOP on my M1/M2 seemed normal to me, and I actually bought Benelli's extra-long recoil pads to lengthen LOP another 1/2".

(I have no experience with an M4.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    •The M4... Poor stock has a ridiculous LOP.

•The M2... suffers the same stock problem as the M4.

Maybe it's because I have orangutan arms, but the LOP on my M1/M2 seemed normal to me, and I actually bought Benelli's extra-long recoil pads to lengthen LOP another 1/2".

(I have no experience with an M4.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Then because I am abrasive and a dick.
    Quoted for truth.

Have you ever actually heard anyone at a range say: “JUST GOTTA RACK THAT ACTION. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT SOUND IS AND WILL RUN AWAY?”

Sir, I think you embellish. Based on the picture of your shotgun and it's WML, I dare say you must be a jacklighter, and probably a road hunter.

and this:

Plus the slow rate of fire coupled with over penetration issues. I’d never grab this if I needed to defend myself with a gun. What a foolish choice. Stupid boomers.
    Being an LE shotgun instructor I looked high and low for any documentation of third party injury by over-penetrating slugs, haven't found any. Doesn't mean a slug cant go through and through, just means it hasn't ever been an 'issue.'

I've seen numerous folks go under .25 for splits on controlled pairs, so it ain't inordinately slow, just slower than a pistol or an AR. To paraphrase "no bad guy ever looked at his chest and said: wow, that was a quarter second split, too slow, dude, too slow"

I’d never grab this if I needed to defend myself with a gun. What a foolish choice. Stupid boomers.
    Yet you spent several hundred dollars accessorizing it as such. Who's stupid?

You may be abrasive and a dick, but I originated the category.

In all seriousness, nice shotgun.

I've armorered enough 870's that I can pretty much fix any problems and I'm attached to them. The Mossberg 500 series brings a lot to the party, though, and a truly rational lefty would have long ago jumped on the Mossberg bandwagon.

One serious observation about your sling. I've tried both attaching on the forearm and attaching to the barrel lug (or mag tube clamp). I greatly prefer the barrel lug or mag tube clamp. Aside from the fact that mounting on the forearm takes up real estate, the sling moving as you cycle is distracting IMO.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-16-20 at 14:25.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Ok Boomer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Have you ever actually heard anyone at a range say: “JUST GOTTA RACK THAT ACTION. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THAT SOUND IS AND WILL RUN AWAY?”

Sir, I think you embellish.
    I hear someone say that nearly verbatim several times a year.

All I can say on the original topic is that I’ve had my M2 for more than 10 years, and it has been reliable. I like the stock, also. However, it only gets used for birds and clays. If you get one for competition or defense use, you may want to change the loading gate/elevator thingy; it is quite the thumb destroyer.

Edit:
    Try it first; as Bimmer pointed out, many have no problems loading the M2.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-16-20 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I hear someone say that nearly verbatim several times a year.

Me, too. Not at the range, but I'm the "gun guy" where I work (a university), and everybody there seems to think that a pump shotgun is the ultimate home defense tool because just the sound of the action cycling (empty) would send bad guys running...

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    All I can say on the original topic is that I’ve had my M2 for more than 10 years, and it has been reliable... You may want to change the loading gate/elevator thingy; it is quite the thumb destroyer.
    I've heard of this, but after over a year of ownership and hundreds of rounds, I'm yet to hurt my thumb loading my Benelli M1/M2...
    Last edited by Bimmer; 01-16-20 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bimmer, you and 1168 need to frequent places with more intelligent people.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Find an older police trade Remington 870 back when the actions are still slick as shit.

Feedback Score
    Bimmer, you and 1168 need to frequent places with more intelligent people.

No kidding. The lack of commonsense among PhDs is flabbergasting...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast