Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I aquired a Springfield Armory 1911A1

Feedback Score

I aquired a Springfield Armory 1911A1

I bought it few months ago, shot it few times. I think the extractor is too tight since the slide failed to go into battery a couple times. LGS said it was fairly new, but I believe it is a bit older. $535 tax included, seems like it was a good deal.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottcc; 01-13-20 at 02:59.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't be concern about it being to tight until I had fired several hundred rounds through her. Just be liberal with whatever oil you wish to use and lube it every 50 rounds or so and I'm sure she will wear in and if not send it back to Springfield and they will fix it.

Feedback Score
    Shoot it before making any assumptions. Give it a couple hundred rounds, perform the 10-8 extractor test somewhere in between and then pass judgement. Lube properly and odds are it will be fine.

Congrats on the new heater, should serve you well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I wouldn't be concern about it being to tight until I had fired several hundred rounds through her. Just be liberal with whatever oil you wish to use and lube it every 50 rounds or so and I'm sure she will wear in and if not send it back to Springfield and they will fix it.
    I'm not sure how old it is, but I think your right. I don't think it has enough rounds through it to break-in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SA has a great warranty policy, they will make it right. I bought a used SA years ago that had a cracked slide. SA fixed it free, no questions asked.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have an old Springer like that one, that I got from a fellow at work. I'm going to do it as a project gun with Wilson Bulletproof parts, and then probably have it NP3'd after I dehorn it.

I used one of the Wilson 70's series blued steel Bulletproof extractors, and tuned it accorded to the guidance Hilton Yam had on his DVD's. It feeds very well now. I also made a point of replacing every spring in the gun as well. I'm using the Wilson mags as recommended by Jason Burton. Runs with no issues using Federal 230-grain HST, or Speer Lawman 230-grain FMJ.

From what I have read, the older SA guns with the crest behind the ejection port are good for that purpose. I am definitely no expert on 1911's, however.

But it should be something fun to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have an old Springer like that one, that I got from a fellow at work. I'm going to do it as a project gun with Wilson Bulletproof parts, and then probably have it NP3'd after I dehorn it.

I used one of the Wilson 70's series blued steel Bulletproof extractors, and tuned it accorded to the guidance Hilton Yam had on his DVD's. It feeds very well now. I also made a point of replacing every spring in the gun as well. I'm using the Wilson mags as recommended by Jason Burton. Runs with no issues using Federal 230-grain HST, or Speer Lawman 230-grain FMJ.

From what I have read, the older SA guns with the crest behind the ejection port are good for that purpose. I am definitely no expert on 1911's, however.

But it should be something fun to do.
    Most guns, 1911s included, I tend to just leave original, but the thought of customizing this one is tempting. Of course funds pending. I just found out over the weekend, my wife needs a small surgery.

I don't think I will send it to SA for warranty at this point. I suspect the cartridge rim is occasionally getting stopped on the extractor. I want to wait and see if it will work itself out before adjusting. The gun was practically unfired before I got it. And the main reason I got it, I missing owning a 1911.

Feedback Score
    It's a simple matter to retension the extractor a little looser if you want to try that. Personally, I think a few hundred rounds through the gun would be a great idea as mentioned above. This would allow the gun to acclimate itself. And a generous amount of oil to start with.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I drink Springer koolaid. When I bought my first TRP a million years ago, I tried to load the mags and thought, "ive bought a pre owned new gun and they put the wrong mags inside". Because the mags were so tight I could barely load them and could barely rack the slide. I thought this gun will never function, 10 years later, it has never malfunctioned, literally.

Drink up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I bought one identical to that, new in 1995. It's served me well all this time - I finally got to customizing it last year. I think you'll enjoy it.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast