Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SF Warcomp Closed Tine characteristics?

Feedback Score
    I use the CT warcomp on a 11.5 KAC Mod 2. I love it.

Used to use a non-warcomp surefire CTN on a 14.5" middy (Triarc) and my 11.5 with the CTN warcomp shoots just as flat (Blue sprinco/H2 in both guns).

Have heard some people say that the downward pressure from the Warcomp CTN is too much - have not experienced this personally (and cant see how it makes sense that the closed tine, with less ports, could have more downward force than the pronged one).
    Last edited by wittlescwappy; 01-15-20 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I only have maybe 30 rounds through the open tine variant so can't comment much there. I've had two different CTs though, and both gave me a very weird recoil impulse. I was not a fan and would not own another.
    Can you describe it a little bit more? What kind of barrel length/gas port? What other devices are you comparing it to?

I have one, but haven't shot it a lot. I didn't notice anything unusual, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Feedback Score
    I normally use the open tine three prong, but just bought my first close tine for my Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 just to try it out, and it's a tad shorter. I plan on getting one for my Mini 14 too, mainly because of it's old school M-14/M1A look. Haven't fired the Vanguard yet since the addition though so I don't know how it will effect it. I just want to be able to move one can from gun to gun...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I normally use the open tine three prong, but just bought my first close tine for my Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 just to try it out, and it's a tad shorter. I plan on getting one for my Mini 14 too, mainly because of it's old school M-14/M1A look. Haven't fired the Vanguard yet since the addition though so I don't know how it will effect it. I just want to be able to move one can from gun to gun...
    I run a CT FH, SF3P FH, and 3P Warcomp across my uppers. Took the whole gang out to the 500m steel range for a shakedown with my RC2 can. Virtually no POI shift on my 18" SPR (3p FH) out to the 500m berm. Shooting at a 12"x7" silhouette I didn't have to make any corrections between suppressed and unsuppressed back to back. Had the same results with my 14.5" middy (Warcomp), but it's a little less precise with the reticle holds. Ammo was Magtech 77gr and MEN 55gr NATO.

Ive also heard the CT Warcomp feels "overdriven" with the upward vents and the closed bottom forcing the muzzle down. Honestly I cant really discern the recoil differences between the uppers/devices. The 5.56 round out of a DI AR is a pretty smooth recoil impulse IMO. If only I could afford a can for each...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    BLUF: Open tine isn't quite over driven, but the CTN is (in terms of RDS movement from a semi-neutral stance.)
    Super long version: Resurrected an M&P Sport upper (long story, but it's carbine gas*) and threw a Romeo5 on it and the CTN Warcomp. I also took an iron sighted 16" BRT Optimum gas upper with the open tine Warcomp that is neutrally timed (RDS from that upper is being borrowed). I have 4k rounds through the upper with the open tine Warcomp. Observations:

Open Tined upper: when using RDS, the dot dances up and right on what is a very smooth upper. It more or less returns close to where it started, though maybe a tad high and to the right. Easy to run quickly, though not JP rifle smooth. With irons, it really just looks like the rear aperture torques clockwise for a split second. Overall, sight picture is not overpowered, though slightly quirky with the up and right then return down towards where it started.

CTN: RDS dot seems to move less but do a wierd Z patern without the bottom leg of the Z. It almost seem to yank down and right then end up back left like a ">" , ending up towards or below where it started from the rise of recoil. Less movement than the open tine, yet harsher and easy to overdrive the rifle low.
    *Additional notes: the M&P upper is borderline under gassed, as there is something wrong with its bolt carrier. I subbed in a different bolt that had a brand new extractor insert and spring to isolate the issue to the bolt carrier. The ammo I was shooting was hot enough to cycle it, but the empties just danced forward out of the ejection port. I'll sub in a different bolt carrier next time.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-19-20 at 18:26. Reason: Added notes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My only experience is with the open time but it was on a machine gun. It works well in that capacity. I timed it neutral with the lug BDC. I wonder if you might time yours a bit to see if it gives you a better result. Just a thought. I mainly shoot suppressed anymore so I haven’t thought too much about brakes in a long time. Lol.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    I curious as to the practical benefit. Is there a noticeable difference over a birdcage?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Two major differences. 1-The muzzle stays much flatter, if not entirely flat. 2-It is a suppressor mount. If not for point 2, I'd default to the Forward Control Designs 6315.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12