Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Feedback Score

Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Last spring I got a Daniel Defense complete rifle, new. I started freaking out because I noticed what appeared to be some odd wear in the pivot pin/takedown pin holes. DD customer service told me (and others who asked them about the same thing) that they hone out the holes a bit after anodizing to ensure a good mating of the upper and lower receivers. At the time I was afraid of the honed off anodizing causing premature wear of the pivot pin holes, where the steel pins would eventually "egg out" the holes to the point of making both receivers unusable.

Some here raised a stink, saying my concerns were valid, while most others said it was nothing. I ended up selling it off. Here I am a year later, thinking about how nice that DD was other than that one thing... and now I'm wondering if I really was freaking out over nothing. (I'd also like to say that DD's customer service was exemplary and makes me want to try them again).

Would this concern you at all from a longevity standpoint? Here are some pics I took back then.

https://imgur.com/a/wQJbga4

Apologies in advance about the pictures.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I’ve had three DD uppers and they all had this. No issues whatsoever with any of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I’ve had three DD uppers and they all had this. No issues whatsoever with any of them.
    How many rounds through each of them? I'm more concerned about long term durability, like the pin holes egging out at high round counts.

ETA: I've gotten to inspect several DD's since last year and noticed that they all had the pin holes like this. That's part of what has me considering that it's not an issue and is normal. I'd really like to convince myself it's not a potential problem at high round counts, because other than that one thing it was the closest to perfect AR I've had.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-14-20 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I think that it's a complete non issue.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lol I should show you one of my lowers. Looks like someone took a drill to it and I’ve never even though about it being an issue. Has probably 20,000 trouble free rounds through it.

Poor DD customer service. Can’t believe you called them over that.

Feedback Score
    First I've heard and I own a DD. Clearly not a problem here, though it isn't what I'd call a high round count gun; your definition isn't defined.

If they do this across their line-up and have been for any length of time, I'd wager issues would be known by now.

Real question is, why do you think you're going to get any different answers now than you did a year ago? It's the same question. Sounds like the real issue is you miss the rifle and want to replace it. I'd do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstrap View Post
    First I've heard and I own a DD. Clearly not a problem here, though it isn't what I'd call a high round count gun; your definition isn't defined.

If they do this across their line-up and have been for any length of time, I'd wager issues would be known by now.

Real question is, why do you think you're going to get any different answers now than you did a year ago? It's the same question. Sounds like the real issue is you miss the rifle and want to replace it. I'd do that.
    Does your DD have this too?

I suppose high round count is “the more the better”, and 6k rounds isn’t what I’d consider a high count, but it’s a start. I’m just curious if it causes any shorter of a service life (particularly for the lower).

(And yes, I will fully admit I miss the rifle and want reassurance that it’s all fine so I can replace it.)

After seeing this phenomenon on many DD rifles since then, and comparing that “issue” to other issues I’ve seen on factory rifles of reputable manufacture, it has caused me to reconsider.

ETA: the last time this was brought up in a thread started by someone else, it was the user Sry0fcr that was convinced that it was unacceptable and not according to proper QC protocol (allegedly he works in that type of business). Here's the thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Defense-upper
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-15-20 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Last spring I got a Daniel Defense complete rifle, new. I started freaking out because I noticed what appeared to be some odd wear in the pivot pin/takedown pin holes. DD customer service told me (and others who asked them about the same thing) that they hone out the holes a bit after anodizing to ensure a good mating of the upper and lower receivers. At the time I was afraid of the honed off anodizing causing premature wear of the pivot pin holes, where the steel pins would eventually "egg out" the holes to the point of making both receivers unusable.

Some here raised a stink, saying my concerns were valid, while most others said it was nothing. I ended up selling it off. Here I am a year later, thinking about how nice that DD was other than that one thing... and now I'm wondering if I really was freaking out over nothing. (I'd also like to say that DD's customer service was exemplary and makes me want to try them again).

Would this concern you at all from a longevity standpoint? Here are some pics I took back then.

https://imgur.com/a/wQJbga4

Apologies in advance about the pictures.
    1) The black dye can be removed without removing the anodizing
    2) The only way to know for certain is to shoot the gun until you find out
    3) You're never going to be happy with any of your choices until you deal with your analysis paralysis, accept the fact nothing is perfect and that good enough really is good enough
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-15-20 at 07:30.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dude, it’s beyond a non-issue. The anodizing isn’t going to protect the substrate material from shear wear any more than bare aluminum.

Get another DD dude. Seriously. Simmer down, porkchop.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast