Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I'm still tempted by the DD M4A1 because it's almost exactly what I'm looking for, a Block II type. The only thing that concerns me now is the castle nut and staking. Moreso the castle nut itself.
    Just collect the parts and build up a Colt if that’s the end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I miss the days where JSantoro or Iraqgunz would've swooped into a thread rife with nonsense and locked it right up with a witty remark.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm still tempted by the DD M4A1 because it's almost exactly what I'm looking for, a Block II type. The only thing that concerns me now is the castle nut and staking. Moreso the castle nut itself.
    Buy the DD M4A1 and Colt/BCM Castle Nut. Ditch the DD castle, torque and stake yourself and move on. Then we can all go back regularly scheduled programming with less hand wringing....

Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I miss the days where JSantoro or Iraqgunz would've swooped into a thread rife with nonsense and locked it right up with a witty remark.
    Word.
    Last edited by Vegas; 01-18-20 at 00:54. Reason: added LSHD quote because he knows whats up!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    QFT.

SouthwestAviator, you're wrapped around the axle. It's cool, we can all get there sometimes, but it's time to let go. Buy quality and that will be sufficient -- in fact, ditch the term "perfect" from your lexicon and replace it with "sufficient" and you'll be much happier.

Focus on your proficiency with the rifle and forget the rest. Shit's cool.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Buy the DD M4A1 and Colt/BCM Castle Nut. Ditch the DD castle, torque and stake yourself and move on.
    This. It’s not difficult or expensive to do. DD is quirky like that in some categories. DD has the castle nut quirk, they used to use huge gas ports (but seemed to have stopped that a few years back). I don’t like the plastic safety selector on the newer rifles but I don’t mind the plastic dust cover. Why anyone would want a plastic safety selector is beyond me. And it’s also lame that DD doesn’t cut the crap and use an industry standard mil spec castle nut with proper staking.

BCM has had issues with their magazine wells not accepting certain Magpul magazine generations.

LMT seems to have had a few out of spec lowers with super tight mag wells.

And Colt has made so many rifles there’s always gonna be something that was missed by QC.

Others have mentioned Sionics and SOLGW. I’ve handled and shot Sionics. Quality and build is on par with the bigger name guys. And Sionics is being used with a lot more police agencies than you’re probably aware of.

I personally own a DD and several Colts. I regularly handle and shoot BCM’s and Sionics. I would not hesitate to own any of those four brands. And I would still buy LMT as well. Bottom line is, as long as there isn’t a serious issue with the unrepairable parts such as an out of spec lower or upper receiver, rail, or barrel; replace and customize what you need to and shoot and move on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    This. It’s not difficult or expensive to do. DD is quirky like that in some categories. DD has the castle nut quirk, they used to use huge gas ports (but seemed to have stopped that a few years back). I don’t like the plastic safety selector on the newer rifles but I don’t mind the plastic dust cover. Why anyone would want a plastic safety selector is beyond me. And it’s also lame that DD doesn’t cut the crap and use an industry standard mil spec castle nut with proper staking.
    Does this quirk with the castle nut and staking ever lead to any problems with the DD rifles?

Feedback Score
    DD is a great manufacturer of rifles. I've over thought cosmetic issues myself on rifles. These guns are made to run. I have a ddm4v5. Stop analyzing the cosmetics load some mags and run it like it was made to do. Train with your firearm. If your over thinking cosmetics it's probably sitting in a safe to much.

Feedback Score
    Does this quirk with the castle nut and staking ever lead to any problems with the DD rifles?
    Nope. You run searches for these questions?

Buy a rifle. Shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the rifle you want, with the features you want, completes the cycle of operations without stoppage under the firing conditions and schedule you require, drive on.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    it definitely might. i remember seeing a couple of posts where castle nuts became loose on dd rifles. do a forum search.

then do a forum search on how dd does not mark their bolts, so technically you really don't know if you're getting a dd bolt or what kind of bolt you are getting at all.

then go see a video from geissele how he talks about barrels (implying DD) not being true hammer forged with the chamber cut by a reamer after the forging process which can lead to accuracy and other issues.

we would all appreciate if you do the research and report your findings and opinions back to this thread. we'd be very interested to learn more on the topic of castle nuts and finish wear.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast