Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Update: I still can’t find any instances of DD factory installed castle nuts coming loose. If anyone else knows of an instance, please post here

Why does Eurodriver think DD rifles are subpar? Or anyone else?
    This is a DD rifle that had the castle nut become loose. You can see here where it was lined up and "staked."

DD uses the gootntite method.

Feedback Score
    Not many will probably admit that they’re improperly staked castle nut came loose. That may be why there’s not a lot of reports on the interwebs. I’ve been to Iraqgunz course and he had a few reports of them coming loose which is good enough for me as far as proof that it happens. Seriously though, buy a $10 punch and push some metal over and it’ll be fine. As far as fit and finish go, DD is far ahead than the other guys. It’s just fit and finish isn’t a huge priority for some who use it as a work gun that’s gonna get dropped, scratched, and worn.

AR’s are kinda like cars. All you can do is buy from a reputable company. All car manufacturers have their lemons, and/or occasional issues. But typically if you buy Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Subaru, BMW, etc you’ll be ok. That’s like buying DD, Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc.

And someone posted earlier about having an issue with Sionics. Does that mean Sionics is making crap rifles? No, just means it happened to him. And just like car manufacturers where some have better customer service than other, DD is arguably one of the best in customer service.

Now push some metal over, buy some ammo, and take a rifle class!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Not many will probably admit that they’re improperly staked castle nut came loose. That may be why there’s not a lot of reports on the interwebs. I’ve been to Iraqgunz course and he had a few reports of them coming loose which is good enough for me as far as proof that it happens. Seriously though, buy a $10 punch and push some metal over and it’ll be fine. As far as fit and finish go, DD is far ahead than the other guys. It’s just fit and finish isn’t a huge priority for some who use it as a work gun that’s gonna get dropped, scratched, and worn.

AR’s are kinda like cars. All you can do is buy from a reputable company. All car manufacturers have their lemons, and/or occasional issues. But typically if you buy Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Subaru, BMW, etc you’ll be ok. That’s like buying DD, Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc.

And someone posted earlier about having an issue with Sionics. Does that mean Sionics is making crap rifles? No, just means it happened to him. And just like car manufacturers where some have better customer service than other, DD is arguably one of the best in customer service.

Now push some metal over, buy some ammo, and take a rifle class!!!
    This is my personal opinion, so completely ignore it if you will. Daniel Defense assembles their rifles in ways that I don't particularly care for and choose to spend my money elsewhere. They have had issues caused by their assembly, so they really should take a hint and fix that. They make good parts, but they are not the only people making quality guns in the game, so we as consumers have options. Knowing what to look for and how to fix it is more important than a measuring contest about whose is better. If someone handed me a DD rifle and said go to war, I wouldn't be upset.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    This is my personal opinion, so completely ignore it if you will. Daniel Defense assembles their rifles in ways that I don't particularly care for and choose to spend my money elsewhere. They have had issues caused by their assembly, so they really should take a hint and fix that. They make good parts, but they are not the only people making quality guns in the game, so we as consumers have options. Knowing what to look for and how to fix it is more important than a measuring contest about whose is better. If someone handed me a DD rifle and said go to war, I wouldn't be upset.
    I think I agree with you. The castle nut and staking thing are, to me, unacceptable on a $1500+ rifle. It shouldn't need to be re-staked right out of the box as a default to be suitable for long term hard use. Why spend that kind of money on it when there are other quality rifles, some for less money, that do it right?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I think I agree with you. The castle nut and staking thing are, to me, unacceptable on a $1500+ rifle. It shouldn't need to be re-staked right out of the box as a default to be suitable for long term hard use. Why spend that kind of money on it when there are other quality rifles, some for less money, that do it right?
    Tell us more - I'm really intrigued now. I think most of us are missing a bigger picture here with DD and castle nuts. You have to go deeper and really develop the topic, otherwise you just leave us hanging on the whole issue. It's almost like a best selling book without a final chapter. You really need to drive it home on why you think DD is inferior in general and its nuts are bad in particular. Also what do you think they need to do (and to do "right" in your opinion) to address your concerns about the quality to be suitable for long term hard use?
    Last edited by alx01; 02-01-20 at 01:45.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Can we get a thread lock, whoop whoop?! It's late....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    yup, beaten again.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567