Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    it definitely might. i remember seeing a couple of posts where castle nuts became loose on dd rifles. do a forum search.

then do a forum search on how dd does not mark their bolts, so technically you really don't know if you're getting a dd bolt or what kind of bolt you are getting at all.

then go see a video from geissele how he talks about barrels (implying DD) not being true hammer forged with the chamber cut by a reamer after the forging process which can lead to accuracy and other issues.
    Yes, a loose castle nut can cause a problem. Your rifle will not self destruct if it loosens. It will malfunction and you’ll look like that guy because your castle nut isn’t staked. Buy a $10 punch and move some metal over and you’ll be fine.

Haven’t watched the Geissele video but I do know this. DD sells a shit ton of barrels and you rarely if ever hear of accuracy or chamber issues. So either he wasn’t talking about DD or somehow through a miracle their barrels have an unbelievably high function rate.

Their bolts have not been known for issues either. I wouldn’t sweat it about the BCG or bolt. Their BCG’s are tested and I’d be surprised if their bolts aren’t as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    it definitely might. i remember seeing a couple of posts where castle nuts became loose on dd rifles. do a forum search.

then do a forum search on how dd does not mark their bolts, so technically you really don't know if you're getting a dd bolt or what kind of bolt you are getting at all.

then go see a video from geissele how he talks about barrels (implying DD) not being true hammer forged with the chamber cut by a reamer after the forging process which can lead to accuracy and other issues.

we would all appreciate if you do the research and report your findings and opinions back to this thread. we'd be very interested to learn more on the topic of castle nuts and finish wear.
    That seems strange given that Geissele uses DD barrels in their URGI.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I agree, not sure what alx01 is talking about, but my URGI has a DDMK18 barrel in it, fresh from Geissele himself....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The word "implying" in alx01's post is VERY important, therefore the information might as well be ignored.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Geissele uses DD barrels because they were spec/required by the DoD contract.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I agree, not sure what alx01 is talking about, but my URGI has a DDMK18 barrel in it, fresh from Geissele himself....
    I agree with your statements in this thread 100%. I think you just missed the spirit of my post (the underhanded nature of it) and its intended audience. grizzman is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The word "implying" in alx01's post is VERY important, therefore the information might as well be ignored.
    Last edited by alx01; 01-26-20 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of our challenges is that a lot of the information we read isn't stated in absolute terms. A manufacturer may do something that isn't universally agreed upon (or praised), but it's rare to know the background info on why the decision was made. The only DD gear I've owned are a couple old Lite rails. I'd have no hesitation running a DD barrel in a build, or buying one of their uppers or lowers.

An important aspect of running a weapon system is being able to maintain it. A great way to gain this knowledge is by assembling a carbine yourself, with every part chosen over all other options. Any tool needed to assemble one should be purchased, even if a person has no desire to roll his own, since having a rifle go down and needing to send it back to the manufacturer because of something that can be remedied in a few minutes is poor form.

If I bought a lower with half-assed staked castle nut, I'd send a message to the manufacturer.....then I'd get a punch and take care of it myself. Any manufacturer can send out product that isn't perfect, but DD, BCM, LMT, KAC, Sionics, Colt, etc are all worthy of getting our hard earned money. Agonizing over the purchase decision, with the expected result of receiving an absolutely perfect product with no chance of a problem, doesn't work out in this industry, or any other one as far as I know.

Choose a quality product, and take care of it, so it can take care of you.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-26-20 at 01:38.

Feedback Score
    KAC is certainly an option, the only one I've shot would not reliably cycle quality .223 pressure ammunition, which seems to be something others have experienced. That's the only thing that holds me back on them. I understand they're meant for full power military ammo, but in the civilian world I might need to be able to run .223 during ammo scares.
    I think this was handled sometime ago.

What Mod was the rifle?

I can understand the concern. I’ve used wolf ammo quite extensively in my BCM (ETA: BCMs plural actually) Because it’s cheap and I was shooting 2-gun matches at pistols distances (the range only has pistol bays). Conversely I use BH TMK 77 gr’s for HD. It’s just finding what works for your criteria at the time. The gun can run both $.20 and $1.00 a shot Ammo equally well.

It ran reliably every time. It stands to reason a $1,500 gun or $2,000+ gun can do what a $800-1,000 gun can do. It’s part of the reason pretty much all LE use a Glock over 1911’s from the 70’s and 80’s.

I personally wouldn’t get in the weeds on this, but I am considering a KAC rifle myself at some point. It’s a go / no go criteria for me. My Sionics lower receiver for a planned SBR with A5 extension FTE’d twice with a Midlength upper and the rear take down pin came out because it wasn’t rotated into the detent. It was enough that I abandoned the brand, bought another BCM lower receiver group - shot 100 rounds through it with the same upper and Form 1’d it instead.

It’s just what matters to you.

God Bless,

Brandon
    Last edited by BWT; 01-29-20 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    Update: I still can’t find any instances of DD factory installed castle nuts coming loose. If anyone else knows of an instance, please post here

Why does Eurodriver think DD rifles are subpar? Or anyone else?
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-29-20 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Update: I still can’t find any instances of DD factory installed castle nuts coming loose. If anyone else knows of an instance, please post here

Why does Eurodriver think DD rifles are subpar? Or anyone else?
    There's nothing subpar about DD. Lots of DD rifles out there with high round counts.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast