Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Pivot Pin Hole honed out: Problem or not?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Remember that guy who put black electrical tape on his brass deflector to avoid marking up his DD?
    There's gold in this thread!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Last spring I got a Daniel Defense complete rifle, new. I started freaking out because I noticed what appeared to be some odd wear in the pivot pin/takedown pin holes. DD customer service told me (and others who asked them about the same thing) that they hone out the holes a bit after anodizing to ensure a good mating of the upper and lower receivers. At the time I was afraid of the honed off anodizing causing premature wear of the pivot pin holes, where the steel pins would eventually "egg out" the holes to the point of making both receivers unusable.

Some here raised a stink, saying my concerns were valid, while most others said it was nothing. I ended up selling it off. Here I am a year later, thinking about how nice that DD was other than that one thing... and now I'm wondering if I really was freaking out over nothing. (I'd also like to say that DD's customer service was exemplary and makes me want to try them again).

Would this concern you at all from a longevity standpoint? Here are some pics I took back then.

https://imgur.com/a/wQJbga4

Apologies in advance about the pictures.
    I own a DD V7S 11.5" SBR (2017 manufacture). My rifle has the same honing in the pivot pin, but not the rear take down.. My friend's DD MK18 has honing. I'm pretty sure this is normal for Daniel Defense. I would prefer that DD not do it, but it's cosmetic, and you don't ever see it when the rifle is actually put together.

My other AR15 lowers from other manufacturers aren't honed, but have accumulated wear in the take down/pivot holes. One way or another, there is going to be wear in that area just like cam pin wear in a upper receiver. I think it's highly unlikely there will be any actual damage in that area.

In my opinion, DD is a quirky company, and this is just an example of it. However, lots of companies have quirks, and ultimately I think there are more things done right on a DD lower for me to worry about the honing.

Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 01-15-20 at 17:11. Reason: Added picture. It is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I’ve had three DD uppers and they all had this. No issues whatsoever with any of them.
    How many rounds through each of them? I'm more concerned about long term durability, like the pin holes egging out at high round counts.

ETA: I've gotten to inspect several DD's since last year and noticed that they all had the pin holes like this. That's part of what has me considering that it's not an issue and is normal. I'd really like to convince myself it's not a potential problem at high round counts, because other than that one thing it was the closest to perfect AR I've had.
    Yes, it is a non-issue.

Remember anodizing goes in to the aluminum as well as being on the surface. So, even if they removed all of the black color, there is still hard anodizing.

It many ways it is better, as now you have a hole that is exactly the correct size, rather than "about the right size".
    Last edited by lysander; 01-15-20 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Yes, it is a non-issue.

Remember anodizing goes in to the aluminum as well as being on the surface. So, even if they removed all of the black color, there is still hard anodizing.

It many ways it is better, as now you have a hole that is exactly the correct size, rather than "about the right size".
    Alright, I'm starting to feel a bit better about it now. As long as there's no way this could cause premature wear, I don't care and would like to purchase another DD.
    I kind of wish they didn't do it, I'd be fine with some wiggle between the upper and lower, but as long as it can't negatively affect the rifle's service life it's no big deal.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Longevity? Premature wear? How many rounds do you fire every year? How many times do you dissemble your receiver halves?

C'mon man, stop this nonsense and go shoot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not get a different rifle than the DD if that bothers you? SOLGW, Sionics, etc. At least those don't have plastic ejection port covers and plastic ambi safeties. I believe IG pointed out that DD uses a substandard castle nut as well but I can't point to that thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Why not get a different rifle than the DD if that bothers you? SOLGW, Sionics, etc. At least those don't have plastic ejection port covers and plastic ambi safeties. I believe IG pointed out that DD uses a substandard castle nut as well but I can't point to that thread.
    I do remember being unimpressed with the castle nut staking on my DD. My BCMs and Colts have excellent, full staking and in two places, the DD had one tiny little punch that didn't even displace metal into the notch and only in one spot. I was unaware DD uses a non-standard castle nut, though.

Is this the thread? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...staking-enough

Iraqgunz: The problem is the castle nut. Not sure who is making those but a few manufacturers are using them and they are not being made correctly. The staking notches should be roughly a 45 degree angle.
    Clyde777: Daniel defense is who made the lower and parts. What exactly is incorrect about the castle nut so I can let DD know?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    C'mon man, stop this nonsense and go shoot.
    Sage advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are about to buy another rifle, and it's clear you are going to go over it with a fine toothed OCD comb, I would suggest staying away from DD and going with one of the smaller builders who is actually going to build *your* rifle when you place your order. SOLGW or Sionics will do this and you'll have complete control over every detail of the build and can deal with them if something shows up that you don't like.

While the guns are probably great you aren't getting that experience with BCM, DD, or the other bigger outfits.

Seriously, call Josh at Sionics, or Mike at SOLGW, and tell them exactly what you want and how you want it built. You'll be happier in the end.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    If you are about to buy another rifle, and it's clear you are going to go over it with a fine toothed OCD comb, I would suggest staying away from DD and going with one of the smaller builders who is actually going to build *your* rifle when you place your order. SOLGW or Sionics will do this and you'll have complete control over every detail of the build and can deal with them if something shows up that you don't like.

While the guns are probably great you aren't getting that experience with BCM, DD, or the other bigger outfits.

Seriously, call Josh at Sionics, or Mike at SOLGW, and tell them exactly what you want and how you want it built. You'll be happier in the end.
    That is something I'm looking into, but I'd really prefer a company that has been around longer than those (afaik this Sionics is completely unrelated to the old one, and SOLGW didn't really come onto the radar before the last half-decade). Preferably ones with large contracts and a proven track record in professional use.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast