Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it acceptable to buy a stupid car?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

When is it acceptable to buy a stupid car?

All of my life I’ve been pragmatic about my vehicle choices. Chevy Blazer, Ford Taurus, Camry, F150, 2 Ford Edges. I love being able to roll around incognito with a car full of guns, ammo, steel targets, etc... I also love the ability to hop a curb in an emergency. I have a wife and four dogs, so hauling them around is important.

Right now I have a ‘15 Ford Edge with 80k left on warranty. My wife has an LS460 that needs to go. I plan on giving her the Edge and buying a car for myself.

My question is this: knowing that we are going to try and have a child this summer, do I buy a stupid car now, while I can? I was looking at ‘16 Scat Pack Challengers. Or do I buy something sensible as always and expand my household capabilities- like a four door Tacoma around the same vintage?

Is there ever a time where it’s reasonable to buy a two door rear wheel drive sports car?
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When you have the money, you are not shorting your retirement and savings and it is an “extra” or third vehicle. That would be my logic.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are about to have a kid, batten down the hatches and go into Dad mode. It’s actually quite fun, to be honest.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I check the first two, but I have a two car garage and demand all cars are stored inside of it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    LOL, I don’t even know what it is like to park a daily driver in a garage. My last 2 homes have had 2 car garages and I manage to have them filled with not cars.

Honestly, like Business_Casual said, I would not go getting a car like that right before have a child. Having 2 utilitarian vehicles makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I check the first two, but I have a two car garage and demand all cars are stored inside of it.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 01-15-20 at 20:51.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have fun as long as it only hurts your fun fund. But embrace being practical first, the last thing you want to do is end up resenting your responsibilities.

Unless your schedules (and willingness to swap cars) allow the Edge to always go with who will have the baby, explore fun car options that have four doors. Seriously, if you have not had the pleasure of fitting rear facing child seats, buy one then go sports car shopping with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You only live one short life.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    You only live one short life.
    And you don't want to spend it trying to fit a baby seat in a Mustang GT, or better yet trying to get the baby in and out of that seat once you get it in there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Jeep Trackhawk. Will take the ScatPack Challenger off the line, be easy to get baby in/out, space to haul stuff,
    0-60 3.5, 707hp, and tops around 180mph.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Unless you have a LOT of expendable funds- skip out on the “stupid car”.

Be practical. You’re having a baby, bro. Think about the future, are you going to have another baby?

Get something reliable. I’d skip Jeep anything.

I’ve seen too many dads being “that guy” with a sports car as a daily driver and a baby, it’s sad.

Embrace being a father and think about what your child(ren) and family will need as you all grow, if you’re going to have more plan ahead a little, your best bet is what will be most reliable with plenty of space to grow with you and your family.

Congrats on the growing family.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 01-15-20 at 22:55.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast