Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When is it acceptable to buy a stupid car?

Feedback Score
    I was the oldest of four kids in the 80s my Dad had a Datsun 200SX that he used to carpool the four of us and two other kids to elementary school..... they'd put you in jail for that now.

Maybe lease something to limit the time and downside.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    That is twenty something and single, mid-life crisis after your kids are grown, or irresponsible.

I'm not saying it has to be a Camry, buy that SUV with the bigger engine or a performance sedan but don't half ass becoming a father.
    This. As the father of a nearly 3 year old and a 5 month old, now is NOT the time to buy a fun car. Be practical. I drive a 2010 Frontier, and the wife drives a 2013 CRV. We can't go anywhere as a family in my truck, as the car seats take up so much room in the back, the front passenger seat has to be pushed way up. Once both kiddos are old enough to go front facing, that won't be an issue.

The CRV is the tits when it comes to car seats. There's plenty of room in the back seat, plus we still have a lot of room in the back for strollers, bags, etc. I remember when I used to say I would never own a mini van, but dang if I don't see the practicality of it now. I'll probably replace the Frontier with a full size truck when the time comes and replace the CRV with a minivan. I'd like a 4Runner, but I've loved having a covered bed to haul stuff in. Maybe we can go the 4Runner route instead of a van....I'll have to convince the wife.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Calculate your reasonable monthly car budget for a transportation appliance.

Calculate your fun budget.

Decide how much of your fun budget you are willing to put into your car budget. You now know how much you can spend on a fun car each month.

With your new car budget see what fun car you can afford.

Life is short the time is now. People who are always waiting and working for a better day and time will never find it because they never learned to enjoy the moment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Life is short the time is now. People who are always waiting and working for a better day and time will never find it because they never learned to enjoy the moment.
    That sounds cute but is pretty irresponsible advice for a soon to be father. Now, if someone's financial planner says they can live without planning for the future for all the other people they are responsible for, then let 'er rip. Or if you're single and you are the only one who your bad choices affect, do your thing.

To the OP:

For what it's worth I've always been a 4x4 guy and before my son (2yo now) was born I had a dedicated Jeep off road rig and had big plans to build up my 4Runner with new suspension and all the off road gadgets.

After my son was born the things I enjoyed changed and I now find that I enjoy time doing things he wants to do. My wife, son, and I hop into either my 4Runner or her RAV4 and we go do stuff around town on the weekends, or go to the park, or just hang out around the house playing with all the toy trucks my son has.

I envisioned my son thinking my Jeep and potentially built 4Runner being cool and us going on rides together and all, but he actually is way more impressed with school buses and garbage trucks and doesn't notice what vehicle we are in when we go places. I've lost all interest in it as well since I just like to spend time with the wife and son doing stuff he likes to do.

I sold the Jeep and my 4Runner now sits completely stock on sweet highway tires because they ride better for our family beach trips and such.

Feedback Score
    Kia Stinger, Subaru WRX, and a few others are fun and 4 door.

Also consider a Dodge Charger. 4 doors.

No manual transmission in the Stinger or Charger, though, if that matters to ya.

Another option is to buy 2 lower prices used vehicles. One practical, one toy.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-16-20 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    You can totes fit a baby seat in the back of a Chally and like 6 strollers, a dead hooker, 8 keys of powder in the trunk. You just gotta move the seat... Every. Single. Time. If you're not man enough to deal with that, there's this thing called a Charger. It's like a Chally, but with 2 more doors and better weight distribution... If anything, be the practical father and stick with the 5.7 R/T, it's only 375/410, you can't get into any trouble with that. Do it for the children.

If you were looking at a Camaro or Mustang I'd tell you that you're nuts.

But don't listen to me, my son came home from the hospital in a Civic Si coupe with nitrous.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 01-16-20 at 10:51.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Look at Corvette drivers on the road- most are over 50 years old. Alas, youth is wasted on the young.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It's acceptable, if not required, when you retire from the military and start work in the civilian sector.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Exactly. That’s why you put the baby in wifey’s SUV.

However, if that’s such an issue; wait until your kid is out of the house.

For the love of all things holy, do not forfeit your chance to buy a badass car at some point in your life.

It ain’t rocket surgery, gents.
    When faced with this issue, I simply got the Tacoma and put a cap on the back.
    Lots more room for "Stuff" lots less expensive than the Toyota SUV.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I should clarify- we are going to try and conceive a child this summer. If that goes perfectly, I have 14 or so months before a child is here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast