Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building AR-10, what to feed it?

Feedback Score

Building AR-10, what to feed it?

I'm putting together an AR-10 for some longer range shooting, this is my first go around with 308 caliber rifles.

During my search for ammunition, match grade ammunition is easy to figure out but not every range trip is worthy of <$1 per round ammo

I'm seeing a lot of surplus European ammunition which makes sense for a NATO round. For average plinking is this stuff decent?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Following.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    AR-10's generally do not do well with softer brass, some of the European ammo and some commercial uses this which could cause extraction issues. I would at least start out with a know quality like LC then later on try different mfg.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-16-20 at 08:36.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can buy Magtech Sniper ammo that is loaded with 168 grain SMK’s for .65 a round. I bought a case of it. For cheaper MEN German 147grain. The brass is great for reloading so save it. AM GUNNER by Hornady is another option. I use it in 6.5.

I’ve never bought S&B in 308 but tons in 6.5CM

Try to find cheap ammo loaded with a BTHP bullets and they will fly a bit better than flat based. Once you find a cheap load that your gun shoots 1.5 moa or better and it’s cheap STOCK UP.

Look on SG Ammo or Target Sports for good pricing

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-16-20 at 15:38.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I'm putting together an AR-10 for some longer range shooting, this is my first go around with 308 caliber rifles.

During my search for ammunition, match grade ammunition is easy to figure out but not every range trip is worthy of <$1 per round ammo

I'm seeing a lot of surplus European ammunition which makes sense for a NATO round. For average plinking is this stuff decent?

I know that for my own needs and uses in .308, I have good ammo, and then I have cheap junk (wolf). The SCAR is dialed in well enough that both cheap and good hit on 11x20" steel out to a few hundred yards, and with the Trijicon 1-6 on it that works well enough for my needs. My other 308/ AR10s are the same as I change around optics quite a bit. The SCAR optic doesn't move. I've got two new .308s coming that will probably just use good stuff due to the costs and uses of them.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You can buy Magtech Sniper ammo that is loaded with 168 grain SMK’s for .65 a round.
    This.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for 168g magtech

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You can buy Magtech Sniper ammo that is loaded with 168 grain SMK’s for .65 a round. I bought a case of it. For cheaper MEN German 147grain. The brass is great for reloading so save it. AM GUNNER by Hornady is another option. I use it in 6.5.

I’ve never bought S&B in 308 but tons in 6.5CM

Try to find cheap ammo loaded with a BTHP bullets and they will fly a bit better than flat based. Once you find a cheap load that your gun shoots 1.5 moa or better and it’s cheap STOCK UP.

Look on SG Ammo or Target Sports for good pricing

PB
    Thanks, makes a lot of sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    AR-10's generally do not do well with softer brass, some of the European ammo and some commercial uses this which could cause extraction issues. I would at least start out with a know quality like LC then later on try different mfg.
    I've heard the same about soft brass but wasn't sure it the European fit into that category.

Is LC Lake City?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    yes, LC is Lake City

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast