Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than Mil-Spec?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    In the case of Californication just open the inside of the milspec bird cage and it will no longer meet the drawing for milspec as the internal bore will exceed the hole size called for on the drawing.
    That won't work. If it's called a "flash suppressor" it's banned in California.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Flared mag well is nice to have, and I think we can all agree A2 grips are a thing of the past...

Feedback Score
    What about melonite barrels? Are they better? What about barrels in general, isn't it generally accepted you can get a more accurate, long lasting barrel than mil spec if you are willing to pay for it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    What about melonite barrels? Are they better? What about barrels in general, isn't it generally accepted you can get a more accurate, long lasting barrel than mil spec if you are willing to pay for it?
    There’s to many variables to make a catch all yes or no answer. The process for making a Melonite/nitride barrel is different than chrome lining. Chrome lining is a thin lining of the barrel which can have slight variations or imperfections which “may” lead to a slight decrease in accuracy. The plus is that chrome lined barrels deal with heat over a longer period of time better than Melonite generally (barrel profile plays a big role). Hence why you see most full auto guns with chrome lined barrels (M4’s, M249, etc.) Melonite is a chemical process that changes the composition of the barrel. The benefit here is that the finish is uniform leading to what some would say contributes to accuracy. Melonite also is very corrosión resistant. So one isn’t better than the other it all boils down to application.

I’m sure someone can give a much more detailed explanation but that’s a very basic overview.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Based on Molon’s testing, Id say “milspec” (colt) barrels are probably the most accurate unless you go to a decent to good SS barrel(white oak, Compass lake, etc).

I have yet to see real accuracy analysis of melanite barrels comparable to his testing.

For an accurate barrel, the barrel has to be uniform/coencentric, so does the plating. Both can be done. CL doesnt have to be inherently inaccurate- see colt and fn rifles. Shitty barrels, and/or shitty electroplating will produce shitty results... specs and all that.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-14-20 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Based on Molon’s testing, Id say “milspec” (colt) barrels are probably the most accurate unless you go to a decent to good SS barrel(white oak, Compass lake, etc).

I have yet to see real accuracy analysis of melanite barrels comparable to his testing.

For an accurate barrel, the barrel has to be uniform/coencentric, so does the plating. Both can be done. CL doesnt have to be inherently inaccurate- see colt and fn rifles. Shitty barrels, and/or shitty electroplating will produce shitty results... specs and all that.
    Agreed. I think BCM also makes a very accurate barrel. Colt doesn't produce their own barrels they use a a third party.

Feedback Score
    For most practical purposes, isn't 2 MOA good enough for combat effectiveness?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AO777 View Post
    Flared mag well is nice to have, and I think we can all agree A2 grips are a thing of the past...
    There are those of us that love the A2 grip believe or not. Fits my hand perfectly and feels great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Schootz View Post
    For most practical purposes, isn't 2 MOA good enough for combat effectiveness?
    The military considers 5.2 MOA good enough....

Feedback Score
    There was a study conducted at the Army Marksmanship Unit in the 60s to evaluate the AK-47 and it was found that the best shots in the Army could just hit a E silhouette at 300 Meters.

A guy I worked with who was at Rock Island before Rodman Lab was moved to Picatinny where I got to be good friends with him. He passed last year. At any rate he told me he was on a acceptance evaluation and the M14s were given a waiver and were shooting like 6.5". Acceptance was 5.5".

As a rack grade rifle it was not that good but in a accurized configuration it became outstanding and could be made to shoot under a inch at 100 when bedded correctly and rebarreled with a non chrome lined barrel.

The best thing about them was tagging the opposition with a solid shot in thoracic cavity from close to long range did the job with one round which is the same conclusion the Army Wound Ballistic's Lab came to.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast