Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than Mil-Spec?

Feedback Score

Better than Mil-Spec?

List and/or describe proven improvements that are better than mil-spec. This not a list of items that people just like better but upgrades that actually improve the function and/or use of the AR/M4 platform

For example: (short list)

1. Medium contour barrels- better balance, harmonics, distributes heat more evenly

2. Ambidextrous charging handles- better manipulation characteristics

3. Triggers- accuracy

4. Free float hand guards- accuracy

5. Pistol grips- better grip angle

6. A5 Buffer System- enhances function

Also would like to discuss nitride. Not sure if nitride is better than phosphate for barrels and BCG's but starting to lean towards nitride as having better corrosion, ware, and added lubricity characteristics.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    List and/or describe proven improvements that are better than mil-spec. This not a list of items that people just like better but upgrades that actually improve the function and/or use of the AR/M4 platform

For example: (short list)

1. Medium contour barrels- better balance, harmonics, distributes heat more evenly

2. Ambidextrous charging handles- better manipulation characteristics

3. Triggers- accuracy

4. Free float hand guards- accuracy

5. Pistol grips- better grip angle

6. A5 Buffer System- enhances function

Also would like to discuss nitride. Not sure if nitride is better than phosphate for barrels and BCG's but starting to lean towards nitride as having better corrosion, ware, and added lubricity characteristics.
    Kac bolt

Wouldnt a pistol grip be an example of something that offers no improvement other than the shooter liking it?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-16-20 at 06:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Add to the list: Gas system length. Carbine gas on a 16" barrel (the 'commercial mil-spec' rifle is a 16) is definitely not ideal.

I think some stuff listed in OP might arguably be just what people like better, particularly pistol grip.

The Vltor A5 definitely belongs on the list, as does free float.

Feedback Score
    Better than mil-spec is a specious concept. Different than mil-spec? Now you have a conversation.

Feedback Score
    Mil-spec does not mean the 'best". It simply means the design specifications set down for rifles/equipment purchased for the military. If you have a part that in not to mil-spec but actually works better, more durable and in all ways better than mil-spec; it is not mil-spec. My civilian M4 is not mil-spec. It has a 16 in barrel for one thing. On the other hand there are parts of it that are mil-spec.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Magpul PMAG
    Barrel steel, I believe DD and FN are using different blends and FN does the double chrome
    Geissele triggers
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-16-20 at 08:18.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Mil-spec is nothing but a "known". It doesn't take much to do better...or worse. It's the detail of figuring out which you've accomplished, where the devil lives.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm pretty new to AR's but it seems a valid question would be what does the user intend to do with it? But I get the question. Maybe we are talking about materials and engineering? One of the newer enhanced BCG's would seem nice but do I, a civilian semi-auto, weekend competitive shooter need one? Over and above a quality built standard BCG?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I'm pretty new to AR's but it seems a valid question would be what does the user intend to do with it? But I get the question. Maybe we are talking about materials and engineering? One of the newer enhanced BCG's would seem nice but do I, a civilian semi-auto, weekend competitive shooter need one? Over and above a quality built standard BCG?
    Whether or not a change represents an objective improvement is an entirely different question than whether or not person X "needs" it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Whether or not a change represents an objective improvement is an entirely different question than whether or not person X "needs" it.
    Agreed, that's a question I ask myself and it needn't have been in my response.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast