Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Better than Mil-Spec?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    Why couldn’t you just collapse the stock down like a regular M4 tube? I’m not in that position so I prefer to have the stock about midway out myself.
    The A5 tube is a tiny bit longer, stocks won't always collapse all the way. IIRC it's some fraction of an inch difference in terms of minimum available LOP with some stocks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As Humpy pointed out there are several published MIL Standards. Some are for materials and finishes, climactic standards, some for ammunition items themselves, ammunition testing (EPVAT), and proofing.

The standard for the weapon itself and ammunition separately may be specified in both test requirements and specifically in the contract (both under federal or military acquisition rules and law).

Start with the user's requirements, then go to the contract and MIL STANDARD specs.

If the item doesn't pass acceptance test within allowed re-tries the contractor takes a hit, maybe having to junk an entire lot. Failure to deliver required numbers by and per the agreed schedule and the vendor can be fined or given a "Show cause" notice to determine whether or not he gets fined, penalized, or has the contract cancelled.

He can't re-use or recycle the components but he might be able to sell parts not NFA-controlled on the commercial market, taking a loss.

Take enough losses and you could go broke.

Of course individual components are made that may be better than the individual items the vendor uses. If they aren't specified in the contract, or if the government changes the contract there are several unintended consequences. Does the cost per weapon increase? Are competing vendors who weren't picked allowed to protest? Do any changes affect the acceptance standard?

Industry can absolutely produce a 1-minute or better assault rifle or carbine that delivers 5,500 rounds per barrel using match ammo. If you want that same weapon to do it with Ball, the government must provide the 1-minute or better ammo for testing. It must meet the government's own agreed precision and mean round between stoppage and mean round between failure specs. How much would this increase the per-weapon price? Industry can provide the means -- what's the government willing to pay per unit?

If not the M4 under current spec, what is the government willing to spend? The Marines gladly pay the per unit price for the HK M27 over an M4 for roughly $717 apiece. Draft up your infantryman's dream carbine. What would the unit cost be to make them? Will Uncle be willing to pay that price to replace what we have now?

The M4 has had a few modification work orders already -- the SOCOM barrel, the A1 trigger, and the "Waffle stock." I have no idea what the price delta was-is between what we have now and the individual M4 first issued in 1994.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Pmag followers were better than mil-spec, then became mil-spec (basically).

My son was issued Pmags in the Marine Corps and prefers metal mags, I was issued metal mags in the Army and prefer Pmags. The grass is always greener and GIs never change.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Better than mil-spec?

Key point to remember, mil-spec is a set of standards that are met by the lowest bidder.

The word better is usually speculative as defined from different people. It’s also always a trade off for cost.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 03-01-20 at 04:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Better than mil-spec?

Key point to remember, mil-spec is a set of standards that are met by the lowest bidder.

The word better is usually speculative as defined from different people. It’s also always a trade off for cost.
    ..and the lowest bidder must meet all the standards. They can't promise a nuclear submarine and deliver a rowboat.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Pmag followers were better than mil-spec, then became mil-spec (basically).

My son was issued Pmags in the Marine Corps and prefers metal mags, I was issued metal mags in the Army and prefer Pmags. The grass is always greener and GIs never change.

Andy
    Lol. This is how it is for me too. My PMAGS, in my humble opinion, are better than the metal mags I was issued, even when we seemed to get a bunch of new metal ones with the A2.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    ..and the lowest bidder must meet all the standards. They can't promise a nuclear submarine and deliver a rowboat.
    I was waiting for this lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I was waiting for this lol

There is always that guy who totally doesn't understand the "lowest bidder" thing they parrot

Feedback Score
    Mcarbo's extra strength mag springs. They solved all my feed issues. Better than mil spec????

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Mcarbo's extra strength mag springs. They solved all my feed issues. Better than mil spec????

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx
    If you've ever seen or compared a standard AK-47/AK-74 magazine springs with AR-15 springs you would not be impressed by AR mag springs. I'm surprised that nobody has redesigned AR mag at least from the spring perspective.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast