Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than Mil-Spec?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Not hard to top mil-spec:

Attachment 60410

Too funny; but true in so many ways. Mil-spec, "military-grade", "battle-proven". is just so much bs to me. Having served in 2 branches, I've experienced my share of "wtf were they thinking?" moments.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can't think of one thing on the GUN that I'd consider "better".... just different... (stocks, etc.). I don't even mind a factory trigger.

Now as far as ammo? Very easy to exceed mil spec and produce better ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I did, in the very first post.

Here’s a build as an example;

BCM UPPER ASSEMBLY- Milspec
    Sionics medium contour barrel- not milspec (barrel profile)
    Sionics nitride has tube- not milspec (nitride)
    Giessele Gas Block? Not sure
    SLGW M76 rail? Not sure

BCM Lower- not milspec (not full auto or full auto inner dimensions
    BCM LPK- milspec
    Semi auto triggers are not milspec
    SLGW BCG- almost milspec except for the extractor spring

Hardly anything listed is true milspec.
    No, you are saying they are different than mil spec. For instance, what is the need/evidence for any coating on a BCG other than what is mil spec being better? What is "better"? Mil spec is a standard which seems to work for the military. Where does the military standard fail us? Obviously, you cannot compare triggers. Military pull once for full auto. We have to repeatedly pull the trigger to fire rapidly. Precision shooters know what triggers they want and it is probably not mil spec. Triggers are so personal that "better" becomes hard to define.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can't think of one thing on the GUN that I'd consider "better".... just different... (stocks, etc.). I don't even mind a factory trigger.

Now as far as ammo? Very easy to exceed mil spec and produce better ammo.
    Your opinion seems to have changed regarding the Vltor A5 buffer system. Any particular reason why?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...31#post1097331

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...70#post1097370

(I've been doing a ton of reading to check myself before fiddle ****ing with my one of my rifles/trying to get the best setup on the first go-round, and you popped a lot heavily in favor of the A5 simply being better so you can see why I'd be curious)
    Last edited by Warp; 01-17-20 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mid length gas system is at the top of the list, though one could argue that the URGI makes midlengths milspec. A5 system, and G triggers come to mind next

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Your opinion seems to have changed regarding the Vltor A5 buffer system. Any particular reason why?
    If I had an H2 carbine buffered gas system. I wouldn't change it out for an A5 Vltor. However, if I was building from scratch? A5 for sure.

The thing I've come to understand is that when the gas port isn't totally over-sized, a standard h2 with Colt spring works fine. That said, I'm not sure what the mil spec is for buffer weight on the M4. If it's still only H buffer, then yes... an A5 is an improvement.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If I had an H2 carbine buffered gas system. I wouldn't change it out for an A5 Vltor. However, if I was building from scratch? A5 for sure.

The thing I've come to understand is that when the gas port isn't totally over-sized, a standard h2 with Colt spring works fine. That said, I'm not sure what the mil spec is for buffer weight on the M4. If it's still only H buffer, then yes... an A5 is an improvement.
    What are your thoughts on the M4 profile barrel? Why is it smaller in the middle and bigger on the end vs a continuous taper?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That said, I'm not sure what the mil spec is for buffer weight on the M4. If it's still only H buffer, then yes... an A5 is an improvement.
    M4A1 currently has H2. I think they switched with the newer barrels; not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What are your thoughts on the M4 profile barrel? Why is it smaller in the middle and bigger on the end vs a continuous taper?
    Current M4A1 has “SOCOM” profile barrel with the meat in the right spot. I haven’t seen a “GOVT” profile M4 barrel in a while on an Army issued weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Improved spring materials and/or designed Braided wire, captured, etc...
    What makes these better?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My recent research says that the burst M4 is an H1 and the full auto switched M4A1 is an H2, is that true, beats me but I trusted the source wherever I read it. Buying a civilian 'mil spec' rifle seems to only get an H1 at most though, with of course every 'as good as' having a carbine weight (no tungsten at all). FWIW (not much if anything) my decision was to buy an A5 system for my suppressed SBR that is gassing me out (and runs hard), but just do a Sprinco blue and up to an H2 (from OEM H1, stealing the H2 from the SBR that's going A5) in my 6920 as it's up for a PM spring change anyway.

Feedback Score
    Let me rephrase my comment to the OP. If I have a mil spec rifle and you have a better than mil spec rifle, what will yours do that mine will not do?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast