Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than Mil-Spec?

Feedback Score
    In the gun business braided springs are referred to as "nested springs" and they are really durable CIP AKs. The problems with most springs is they take a set or break.

The problem with springs is if not heat treated correctly they will take a set or break. Unless something has changed there is no way to test a spring except by compressing it a long period or it breaks as they are so small you can't ding it with a Rockwell checker. About all that can be done is check to see if it has enough energy as new with coppers and a bench inspection gage where the indent depth from the striker impacting the copper is measured in thousandths.

About the best an average user can do is restricted mostly to bolt rifles. You can get a new rifle, pull the bolt down, remove the striker spring, measure the free length with a caliper and record your reading. Then once a year pull it down and measure the free length again to see if it has become shorter.

On a real M16/M4 with burst control the striker spring on one side has less coils and as a result a few of the rifles that came in for M16A!E1 testing did not exhibit enough striker energy.

YOU CANNOT JUDGE STRIKER ENERGY BY LOOKING AT FIRED PRIMERS

Frankford Arsenal did a multimillion primer test and off set indents can cause them. By offset it is called "center fire ammo" right? The name of the game is for the striker to impact the center of the primer but when you are making thousands of rifles a week and you have folks that are making bolts that could care less because they are just there for a job. All they care about is getting paid.

One of the first things things my trainer impressed upon me was you can have a fine design but the "production floor" workers will take your marvel to it's knees. For instance I was given the "run" at a major vendor plant to just walk through the plant and observe all facets of production and I remembered my trainer so I stopped and talked to this guy who was making a part and asked him what the part did he was making and he had no clue.

A number of years ago the Shot Show was in Charlotte so my buddy and me went. I walked up to a vendor that I had just bought a rifle from and had checked the striker indent energy on and found it lacking so I walked up to this vendor area and asked if there was anyone there from engineering and they identified this one guy who proudly proclaims "I"M FROM ENGINEERING" and I asked him what the striker indent spec was and he did not have a clue of what I was talking about. He sent me to a technician from the plant who did not know either and told me immediately he did not but he was sure going to find out when he got back to work. Now that is an employee I would want.

I got home and wrote the company, told them what I had recorded in my testing and I got a email asking me to call their Public Relations manager as he and their chief engineer wanted to have a conference call with me and I learned that vendor had not checked striker energy on anything in over 15 years. They did not make their springs, they just ordered them in, put them in and shipped the rifles out.

There are several thing that will take your parade down quickly and a rifle going click instead of bang in a shootout is number 1 on the list. Clicks can be experienced from empty chambers (didn't feed correctly) FTC failure to close, FTL failure to lock, then you get a FTF. Such can be caused by mags. This is why in testing mags are numbered and at each failure everything shuts down while you figure out if you can thus the mag number is recorded and the round number in the mag is recorded and that mag is rotated through every other weapon to see if it repeats in that one, another one, or maybe two more. Then the paperwork is all changed blaming the failure on the magazine and not the weapon and the magazine is removed from the test and your very gently place it on a hard surface with surgical precision you take a hammer to it.

To be sure you can have the right spring, the correct energy and still get a failure to fire in cold weather due to your not using the correct lubricant for cold.

I am aware of one instance where a magazine caused multiple rifles to sustain catastrophic failures.

Had several of the coil springs in the 3 shot burst mechanism just break in my test.

Also had five (IIRC) failures to fire which really caused a stir. Five failures is allowed in 5 million rounds and I had that many in 244,000.

The normal human thought pattern seems to blame ammo for failures and yes this does happen but with new ammo right out of the cans the likelihood of it being just the ammo is somewhat reduced.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-22-20 at 05:55.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My previous comment on springs was solely meant for action springs (“buffer springs”), of which there are many gimmicky varieties on the aftermarket. I know close to nothing about other firearm springs except corrosion resistance of the materials. I apologize if I was not clear.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    We had a spring engineer at Picatinny Arsenal and he was a treasure trove of info and it was amazing what he could tell you about springs you never even wondered about. He was the one that told me they could not be "tested" which may have changed by now and I am not aware of it. No offense was taken

We had a spring engineer at Picatinny Arsenal and he was a treasure trove of info and it was amazing what he could tell you about springs you never even wondered about. He was the one that told me they could not be "tested" which may have changed by now and I am not aware of it. No offense was taken

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    He was the one that told me they could not be "tested" which may have changed by now and I am not aware of it.
    The testing I was referring to is an armorer or end user measuring length to determine if its time to replace the action spring. This is common practice with “milspec” action springs. Manufacturers can easily measure/verify the rate (tension, weight, whatever) of action springs, although I don’t know if they do.

Edit: 100% chance your buddy knows much more about this topic than me.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-22-20 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    One of the members here posted his build specs in another thread and this gas tube caught my attention. Anybody familiar with this V Seven gas tube? I had to google Inconel and it seems like a good material for a gas tube.

Attachment 60493

HEAT TREATED INCONEL CONSTRUCTION

IMPERVIOUS TO HEAT, COMPARED TO A MIL SPEC GAS TUBE

DESIGNED TO FUNCTION UNDER SUPER-HIGH TEMPERATURE FIRING SCHEDULES

ELIMINATES THE WEAK LINK IN DIRECT IMPINGEMENT GAS SYSTEMS

100% CORROSION RESISTANT

DLC BLACK FINISH

PISTOL LENGTH WEIGHS 14 GRAMS

CARBINE LENGTH WEIGHS 21 GRAMS

MID-LENGTH WEIGHS 26 GRAMS

RIFLE LENGTH WEIGHS 35 GRAMS

LIFETIME WARRANTY

MADE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    The Iconel gas tube is interesting.

Inconel is a family of austenitic nickel-chromium-based superalloys.[1]

Inconel alloys are oxidation-corrosion-resistant materials well suited for service in extreme environments subjected to pressure and heat. When heated, Inconel forms a thick, stable, passivating oxide layer protecting the surface from further attack. Inconel retains strength over a wide temperature range, attractive for high temperature applications where aluminum and steel would succumb to creep as a result of thermally induced crystal vacancies. Inconel's high temperature strength is developed by solid solution strengthening or precipitation hardening, depending on the alloy.[2][3]

Inconel alloys are typically used in high temperature applications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel
    It would seem that way, but has anyone identified issues with a "normal" stainless gas tube that would be resolved by the material change? Does the gas tube require further surface hardening, corrosion resistant & additional lubricity properties because of it's high wear application? Why add a DLC coating to an already hard and corrosion resistant material like Inconel?

The answer is: "No.", "No." & "It's a marketing gimmick to add 'value' to our expensive and largely useless product."

Going back to my original comments that folks need to quantify how and why something is "better". Otherwise, they might be duped into spending $80 on a gas tube or thinking that Melonite is "better" than chrome lining which literally depends on the product's application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Also had five (IIRC) failures to fire which really caused a stir. Five failures is allowed in 5 million rounds and I had that many in 244,000.

The normal human thought pattern seems to blame ammo for failures and yes this does happen but with new ammo right out of the cans the likelihood of it being just the ammo is somewhat reduced.
    Any basic quality system would isolate the test weapon (or batch of weapons) and lot of ammunition and conduct an unbiased root cause analysis or have the vendor conduct the RCA and report out findings. Was that type of reaction not common during your time at Picatinny?
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Unless something has changed rather than do what you suggest they just issue a destruct order on all remaining stocks of that lot number. Remember this is the same gov't that brings us so many worthless ideas. Weapons don't get fielded unless they have political support. In my incident the base lot of experimental ammo had misfires, then acceptance lot had misfires and finally the replacement lot had misfires so that only leaves the weapon system.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Unless something has changed rather than do what you suggest they just issue a destruct order on all remaining stocks of that lot number. Remember this is the same gov't that brings us so many worthless ideas. Weapons don't get fielded unless they have political support. In my incident the base lot of experimental ammo had misfires, then acceptance lot had misfires and finally the replacement lot had misfires so that only leaves the weapon system.
    I chuckled at the thought of destroying 2 or 3 lots of ammo before figuring out that the gun was the culprit...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The only lot destroyed on mine was below and it was leftover XM855. Take a good close look at this ammo and see how much you would have wanted.

Feedback Score
    The only lot destroyed on mine was below and it was leftover XM855. Take a good close look at this ammo and see how much you would have wanted.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast