Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stribog and 10rnd mags.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Stribog and 10rnd mags.

Issue Solved: Magazines require light lubrication.

From Reddit, YouTube, observation, guessing, pondering, it has been determined that ALL Stribog magazines are subject to last round or next to last round failure. The universal cure is to simply apply a light coat of your favorite slick stuff. 3in1, WD40, whatever. Everything is working 100% for everyone after that.
    ===============================

A friend bought a Stribog 9mm. Shoots great. no problems except for one.

When he got it they gave him a 10rnd mag with it. Every time he uses that mag the last round jams FTF. It dents the case badly. The larger mags all work fine. Never an issue. So he calls the place where he bought it and they ordered another 10rnd mag and sent it to him.

Same exact behavior. Last round FTF and puts a major dent in the case.

Every time he talks to a dealer, supplier, whatever he asks if they have ever heard of this 10rnd issue. No one has. I've watched it happen over and over at the same time he shoots all day with 20rnd mags and no issues.

Anyone every heard of this?
    Last edited by tb-av; 07-15-20 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    They may have a bad batch of magazines and are unaware of the problem. He doesn't need to talk to the place he bought it, other dealers or suppliers. He needs to get this information to the importer, which is Global Ordnance. He should make a video of the gun working 100% with the larger capacity magazines and then one with the gun failing with the 10rd magazine, call them and then get the video to the person he's speaking with.

The problem is most likely with the magazine spring, follower or magazine body. Prior to doing the above, he could swap the followers to see if that makes a difference. Another thing to check is the length of the magazine springs. If they're using the same length spring in the 10rd magazine as the 20rd magazine, then that could also be the issue. The problem could also be due to a combination of the magazine and a more recent design change. If he wants to send the 10rd magazine to me for testing, I'd be happy to test it in my Stribog which was one of the first imports.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking it must be spring related too. All else looks the same. I can make a video the next time we go out. I'm sure he will part with a mag as well. Once I get that I'll PM you and get your info to mail it to you.

We have not taken the mag apart to see if the springs look identical.

Feedback Score
    I've got the Gen 2 Stribog with the non-reciprocating charging handle and have not yet experienced this issue with my 10 rounders. If you can't get to the bottom of the problem on your own give Global Ordnance a call. They are the importer and have top notch customer service. I had significant issues with my Stribog out of the box....could not get through a single mag without multiple malfunctions. They figured out that the wrong recoil spring had been installed. I got the replacement and the gun has been 100 percent.

Be safe.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you. My internet is down. We were going to make some vids this week but got delayed. Will move forward with advice.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    He is calling GO tomorrow. We will test / vid per their instruction.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Well here's an update. So he made some calls and basically everyone says "no issues". A while later he bought two more mags from someone, I forget who it is which really doesn't matter. So for whatever reason these two new mags worked for a while. Last two outings were a no go.

It's a bizarre thing. I've witnessed it multiple times. Today though I saw a considerable difference in the way the 10s are made vs the 20s.

If you have 10s and 20s please turn the mags sideways.

20s --- The top edge is a curve like a quarter moon.
    10s --- The top edge is an L shape

Next difference. Face the magazine to you as though the round would be aiming at your face.

20s ---- the front edge is flat across and not notched out. It has what looks like a half moon molding mark top front.
    10s --- top edge is notched out.

Next difference. - Place one round in each mage. It will sit on left side if again you have the round pointed at your face.

20s --- you will notice it looks like it can just push forward unonstructed.
    10s --- we noticed that the round looks as though it will scrub the edge of the magazine. Sits a bit more tucked in, and I believe the case edge could even snag the case the way it notched, unlike the 20s.

Here's the kicker though. When this fails the bullet is jammed pointing up past the chamber and the bolt pushed against it. Like a roof rafter. So then, and I've seen this three times, when you go to clear it the round --- can--- fall back against the retracted bolt... BUT... it can also turn sideways 90 degrees and become lodged in the receiver, bolt against shell and round perfectly sized to lay right in there and not be shaken out. So you have to open the weapon and then push a small screwdriver, Allen wrench or whatever and push the bullet nose at which point it will dislodge.

The gun is new but broken in. It's generally clean. No suppressor. So no unusual situation. Gen 2.

I told him to send it back. He says it has to be the mags. I am heavily inclined to agree. Everyone swears no one has had this problem. That tells me it's gun. Whatever it is it's a recurring nightmare and it only happens on the last round of those 10 round mags. Always the last round only and only the 10 rounders.

He would probably just ditch the 10s but he has this small case and wants to be able to carry it with a 10. Plus it shouldn't do that.

We considered a heat issue but he's not burning through rounds.

Mainly I'm trying to find out now are there two different styles of 10 round mags. These 10s are in no way simply shorter 20s. Two completely different shapes at the top of the mag. The rest looks identical as far as I can tell.

I can post pics but if you have 10s and 20s it is visually obvious. Not subtle by any means. Two completely different shapes.

Earlier I had said ..... "All else looks the same." .... I obviously wasn't really giving it a good look. More a casual observer. Today I had both style mags and they are ---clearly--- different. 20s are smooth curves and 10s are "notchy" for lack of a better term.
    Last edited by tb-av; 05-26-20 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Why not take some pictures of the differences and reach out GO to see what they say with the photos. I'm thinking they would probably just swap out the mags. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 06-05-20 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    He has 4 10 rounders now. All look the same. all malfunction.

He took some tools to one the other day and shaped it like the 20 rounders. He said it worked for like two mags then started failing the same way. Variety of ammo.

Global says they have never heard of the issue. Dealer says they have never heard of the issue. I can't find anyone on the Internet that had had the issue.

Everyone is willing to do whatever but nothing ever works. He's reached the point now that he said he would simply never trust a 10 rounder. So he's looking for a new case to carry it in that is small but will hold a 20 round.

It's the strangest thing I have seen. The other really odd thing is that second set of two mags he got, worked for maybe 2 mag loads. then failed. When he reshaped the mag himself, it worked also for about two mags then it's just fail fail fail.

I mean he's done this I know about 10 times ane I've witnessed it at least 4. 20s, 30s, no problem. stick a 10 in and that last round sticks up at a 45 degree angle missing the chamber and the bolt slams a good sized dent in the case.

So yeah, I've told to call Global but he gets would up and says F it. I've told him I'll video a session and post private link on YT for Global to see but he's at the point now he has no faith in it.... as a 10 rounder.

I've wondered do most people even shoot their 10 rounders? I would expect not.

Feedback Score
    I'm willing to try those 10rd mags in my Stribog if you'd like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast