Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NF ATACR 1x8

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Classic Eurodriver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Any thoughts by those that have the ATACR 1-8 as to any reason not to choose VORTEX GEN 3 1-10 over it with what little we know thus far or vice versa?
    Last edited by Sabre675; 01-26-20 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre675 View Post
    Any thoughts by those that have the ATACR 1-8 as to any reason not to choose VORTEX GEN 3 1-10 over it with what little we know thus far or vice versa?
    You can get an ATACR today but the Vortex will be OOS forever.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Pap smear,

You thought I was without an OIF DD214 and wanted to insinuate to everyone how you have so much combat experience (lol you still in? It’s been a while since I’ve had to measure dicks)

We just have different definitions of the word “fighting”, and I didn’t bother pointing it out since it was 4am and I was tired from my night out with your mom. (Maybe I’m your Pappy?)

My days of carrying rifles with or without an optic on humps are over. I suspect the OP isn’t going to Afghanistan or to fight ISIS with his ATACR either. Where I, and many others, apply the term “fighting” gun are CONUS self defense shootings. For that I want something on the lighter end that isn’t too heavy to hold up on target for a long time. Truthfully, I like Aimpoint micros for everything.

But either way, I was wrong. No sarcasm. No BS. It’s really not too heavy for a “fighting gun” on any account. My preference would be to go with something lighter, though.

Thanks

PS I’ve never shot a 3 gun match.

PPS Is the M3 in your screen name from the car? I’m actually shopping for one. Any suggestions?

I'm not a BMW fan, but if I were, and wanted an M3, I'd stick with a low mile E92 after they did the HPFP fix. I feel like the whole appeal of BMW is as a purists vehicle + German Mousetrap. The V8 NA E92 fills this role very well. The E46 was also a very good car, in this sense, but something about a German V8 wailing away at 8K+ is just sexy.

Back on topic, the ATACR is a proven viable optic. The Vortex has yet to distinguish itself as reliable, and the "3" is "just out", so it has an up-hill battle in my mind, to overcome the poor reputation of the 1-6 in the reliability dept. AND build a rep for itself. The NX8 and ATACR had an easy job, as the NXS series optics were proven and reliable.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I'm not a BMW fan, but if I were, and wanted an M3, I'd stick with a low mile E92 after they did the HPFP fix. I feel like the whole appeal of BMW is as a purists vehicle + German Mousetrap. The V8 NA E92 fills this role very well. The E46 was also a very good car, in this sense, but something about a German V8 wailing away at 8K+ is just sexy.

Back on topic, the ATACR is a proven viable optic. The Vortex has yet to distinguish itself as reliable, and the "3" is "just out", so it has an up-hill battle in my mind, to overcome the poor reputation of the 1-6 in the reliability dept. AND build a rep for itself. The NX8 and ATACR had an easy job, as the NXS series optics were proven and reliable.
    Reliability issues with the Razor Gen 2 1-6? Do tell.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You can get an ATACR today but the Vortex will be OOS forever.
    I really think this new Vortex Gen 3 1-10x will put a sizeable dent in the sales of other companies high end LPV scopes, and will see some very good deals on lightly used LPVO like Nightforce, Vortex Gen 1 and 2’s, Leupold MK6’s, Trijicon,Kahles, etc. in the next six months. I also think there is a good chance we will also see better deals/prices on the aforementioned scopes, when buying new, because of this new Vortex scope. Today, If *I* were needing more magnification than my current 1-6x LPV, and didn’t mind adding 5 oz in weight, *I* would order the new Vortex Gen 3 1-10x scope without any hesitation. Vortex Optics has excellent customer service, and this scope has a **unlimited, unconditional, lifetime warranty.**And the odds are, you will never need to use it.
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-28-20 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That cannot really be answered until the Vortex gen3 1-10 is in the wild. My personal feeling is that people get too wrapped up over exhaustive “research” instead of buying and trying, change as you find you have needs that are not being met by your current setup. I am guilty of this behavior in the past, but corrected the error in my ways a long time ago. Don’t overthink these things. Buy what you can afford, shoot and make changes as your needs/wants dictate.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I really think this new Vortex Gen 3 1-10x will put a sizeable dent in the sales of other companies high end LPV scopes, and will see some very good deals on lightly used LPVO like Nightforce, Vortex Gen 1 and 2’s, Leupold MK6’s, Trijicon,Kahles, etc. in the next six months. I also think there is a good chance we will also see better deals/prices on the aforementioned scopes, when buying new, because of this new Vortex scope. Today, If *I* were needing more magnification than my current 1-6x LPV, and didn’t mind adding 5 oz in weight, *I* would order the new Vortex Gen 3 1-10x scope without any hesitation. Vortex Optics has excellent customer service, and this scope has a unlimited, unconditional, lifetime warranty And the odds are, you will never need to use it.
    I cannot wait for the waves that this new optic is going to make on the retail and secondhand markets. While 1-10x is going to be the next new "hotness" for many, that doesn't mean that LPVO with lesser magnification magically became irrelevant or ineffective overnight. I think it's quite the opposite. There is such a thing as too much magnification, and for some, 10x in an LPVO is too much optic in certain cases. I bet that, for many, cheaper LVPO in the 1-4x, 1-6x, and 1-8x range will be a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Don't overthink these things. Buy what you can afford, shoot and make changes as your needs/wants dictate.
    But that would be entirely too... rational?

All joking aside, I agree with you. The Equipment Exchange section on M4C is also pretty great when you want to make changes... funny how that works!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Reliability issues with the Razor Gen 2 1-6? Do tell.
    Mainly lack of holding zero solidly. Also reticle delamination could occur, but not an issue for the 1-10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had an ATACR 1-8 the summer they came out.

I liked a lot about it except the ocular that turns with the magnification. That's a bigger pain in the ass on an AR than I ever thought it would be. And I still think it would be a better optic if it was second focal plane.

I just don't get any utility out of a FFP with less than about a 16X top magnification.

I really wish Nightforce would have updated the NXS 1-4. Better optical quality on that one would be the optic to have on a 5.56.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast