Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NF ATACR 1x8

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I need to correct myself, I have the NX8 not ATACR. After seeing Euros post jogged my dead brain. Kinda heavy for an AR15 IMHO.
    NX8 is just fine.

PB
    The ATACR is way better than the NX8 in almost every way (of course its like $1,000 more, too). But it is too heavy for a "fighting" gun (i.e. one that you plan on physically running and gunning with on 1x). It's 25% heavier than the NX8.

If you are a 3 weekends a year, shoot from the bench only, probably use a CPAP and have a 52" waist kinda guy it won't make a difference though.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-17-20 at 12:17.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The ATACR is way better than the NX8 in almost every way (of course its like $1,000 more, too). But it is too heavy for a "fighting" gun (i.e. one that you plan on physically running and gunning with on 1x). It's 25% heavier than the NX8.

If you are a 3 weekends a year, shoot from the bench only, probably use a CPAP and have a 52" waist kinda guy it won't make a difference though.
    fking CPAP , your killing me. Nope it wouldn't matter but you would have bragging rights. I love to see a fat guy riding a $6,000 bicycle.
    Im thinking, you paid $4k to get that bike 3 lbs lighter. No hay bueno but Prevalent in Snottsdale AZ

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    fking CPAP , your killing me. Nope it wouldn't matter but you would have bragging rights. I love to see a fat guy riding a $6,000 bicycle.
    Im thinking, you paid $4k to get that bike 3 lbs lighter. No hay bueno but Prevalent in Snottsdale AZ

PB
    Hahaha I never thought about that before. Those bicycles get stupid expensive quick. How much faster can a $6000 bike be over a $1500 one? Really...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Would it still be too heavy for a 11.5 fighting gun?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDG8 View Post
    Would it still be too heavy for a 11.5 fighting gun?
    IMHO, some questions are better answered by yourself. Excess weight can be a negative, but everyone can have a different point to where that negative starts to affect your performance using **your** SBR or rifle setup. Making the right decision, might depend on your age and overall fitness, upper body strength. Also, how your weapon is setup in regards to it’s barrel weight, handguard weight and what you hang on it, muzzle device weight, magazine capacity, etc..
    Sometimes you can pretty much negate the weight of a heavier optic, by choosing your other components wisely. Also, how often are you *really* going to be shooting past 300 or 400 yds, with a 11.5” inch SBR in a real non - combat, civilian defensive situation. For some perspective on weight, 25 quarters weigh 5 ounces, which is the *approximate* difference between scopes like the Kahles16i and NX8 and scopes like the ATACAR 1-8x , the Vortex Razor Gen2 1-6X and the new Razor Gen3 1-10x.

25 quarters weigh 5 ounces, or it's a little more weight for a little more capability, you may seldom use .
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-26-20 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    IMHO, some questions are better answered by yourself. Excess weight can be a negative, but everyone can have a different point to where that negative starts to affects your performance using **your** SBR or rifle setup. Making the right decision, might depend on your age and overall fitness, upper body strength. Also, how your weapon is setup in regards to it’s barrel weight, handguard weight and what you hang on it, muzzle device weight, magazine capacity, etc.. Sometimes you can pretty much negate the weight of a heavier optic, by choosing your other components wisely. Also, how often are you *really* going to be shooting past 300 yds with a 11.5” inch SBR? For some perspective on weight, 25 quarters weigh 5 ounces.
    I appreciate all this very much. It helps a lot. My thinking is, I see guys running the vortex razor hd and that is the same size and weight as the atacr, so it just got me thinking maybe it is not too big, but again, as you pointed out, everyone is different.
    Last edited by SDG8; 01-18-20 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Personally, for *me* and *my* aiming eye’s corrected vision, a RDS only works okay out to around 100yds. Past 100yds, I am better of with some magnification. From 0-400 yds, I still prefer the proven 16.9 oz, generous eyebox of the second focal plane, K16i 1-6X scope over all others. *I* very rarely shoot past 400 yds with my 11.5 and 12.5 inch barreled rifles, so more magnification is really not needed. When shooting past 400 yds, the added capability of a 8x or 10x first focal plane optic, is a better choice, You just have to deal with a little extra weight and a tighter eye box on their top magnification, and with some, even on their 1x magnification.I think the reality is, 5 more, or less ounces of scope weight, probably isn't going to make a difference if you win or lose in combat or a real gunfight, It really just comes down to, how much rifle weight do you care to deal with.

Here are some reviews of the ATACAR 1-8x scope:

https://youtu.be/3GFOkjK8VFk

https://youtu.be/kzPlsr5vjaM
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-20-20 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Got some trigger time behind an NX8 today and wow, incredible LITTLE optic. I can't imagine the ATACR offers much more for us normal folks that the NX8 won't do for half the price.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Got some trigger time behind an NX8 today and wow, incredible LITTLE optic. I can't imagine the ATACR offers much more for us normal folks that the NX8 won't do for half the price.
    Yea, Im pretty happy with mine and it has done everything I have wanted. And not that hard on the wallet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

That's a load of, well...

It's a fantastic "fighting" optic, as in for actual fighting. If your definition of "fighting" involves 2-gun or 3-gun matches, yeah maybe you're right. But that's not actual fighting. In actual firefights, even when having to hump it over many kilometers, it's not too heavy.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast