Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM Takes Delivery of new Sig Sauer MG 338 Machine Gun

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

USSOCOM Takes Delivery of new Sig Sauer MG 338 Machine Gun

One bad a$$ looking MG is is too. .338 Norma Magnum? Seems very niche round for them to adopt no? Is there anything else already in the inventory that could fill the gap between 7.62 and .50?

"Sig Sauer announced this week that the U.S. Special Operation Command has certified and taken delivery of the company’s new MG 338 machine gun system.

Chambered in .338 Norma Magnum, the MG 338 is billed on being able to deliver effective fire at ranges out to 2,000 meters, closing the gap between 7.62 NATO weapons like the M240 and .50 cal BMG platforms such as the M2 heavy machine gun. Weighing only 20-pounds, the MG 338 uses Sig-produced ammunition as well as the company’s suppressor design to create an all-Sig product.

“The safety certification of the complete Sig Sauer MG 338 system and delivery of the system to USSOCOM is historically very significant,” said Ron Cohen, the New Hampshire-based company’s President and CEO, in a statement. “For the first time in decades, the U.S. Military certified a new machine gun, ammunition, and suppressor at the same time, bringing innovation, portability, and increased lethality to our ground forces, with all components coming from one company.”

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/01/16...8-machine-gun?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd be interested to know the requirements that drove this design.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Sig has been on a roll lately with new toys.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Taken delivery as in (1) a few for testing and evaluation or (2) a large purchase for operational use?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Taken delivery as in (1) a few for testing and evaluation or (2) a large purchase for operational use?
    Operational use, with a weapon weighing substantially less and "The 300-grain belted magnum round is touted as having a recoil similar to a 7.62mm NATO round while still being lethal out past 1,700 meters. At 1,000 meters, the round is still capable of defeating Level III body armor and penetrating soft-skinned vehicles, thus considered a bridge between the current 7.62mm offerings and .50 BMG."

It converts to .308 as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Operational use, with a weapon weighing substantially less and "The 300-grain belted magnum round is touted as having a recoil similar to a 7.62mm NATO round while still being lethal out past 1,700 meters. At 1,000 meters, the round is still capable of defeating Level III body armor and penetrating soft-skinned vehicles, thus considered a bridge between the current 7.62mm offerings and .50 BMG."

It converts to .308 as well.
    Are they talking about the .338 Norma round, or this particular machine gun? If they're talking about the round, I don't see how that's physically possible. If it's the gun, seeing how the recoil system is, that's another story.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That looks dumb with the (comparatively) tiny M4 buttstock on it. But I guess aesthetics don't mean much.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What is that in the picture like a 25 round nut sack?
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Yamn.... wake me when they get the minigun version up and running...

Why not just go with a 338 Lapua? Granted, it would be a different round than the 338L sniper rounds, but at least the chamber is the same.

I can see that the Norma is bit more 'modern'- shorter, fatter for longer bullets at the same OAL, but another round? And the SIG 277 pussycat or whatever round?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Yamn.... wake me when they get the minigun version up and running...

Why not just go with a 338 Lapua? Granted, it would be a different round than the 338L sniper rounds, but at least the chamber is the same.

I can see that the Norma is bit more 'modern'- shorter, fatter for longer bullets at the same OAL, but another round? And the SIG 277 pussycat or whatever round?
    According to the .338NM wiki page, they can more easily load 300 grain low drag bullets without affecting the OAL of the round as might happen with a .338 Lapua
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast