Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Geissele To Introduce Super Precision Optics at SHOT

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up.

This is an actual step forward in optics. There’s only so many ways to put an LED in an aluminum tube before I stop coming off my money.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Ask SIG, they are trying to do that with flashy lights on their BDX lineup.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/bdx.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

This is an actual step forward in optics. There’s only so many ways to put an LED in an aluminum tube before I stop coming off my money.
    Mind you, that's not a recommendation just a vector to look.

SIG isn't a company I'd buy much from, especially most optics since they are liable to drop the whole lineup overnight and never update the software, so you won't find me buying this - however I think the concept, wrapped tightly into a single optical unit (scope with LRF / ballistics) will someday be 'the way it is'. Some companies have tried it and of course until its well done, rugged, and repeatable, things won't take off but when you think of aircraft weapon systems and dynamic aiming, you have to think at some point there may be viable attempts to start to bring that technology to the individual shoulder fired weapon. I'm sure it'll be 10-50 years before that happens but eventually (like you said) there are only so many ways to make a LPVO reticle, illumination, etc before its all been done.

Obviously we are in the FFP v SFP change, as well as the smaller lighter faster (in general), but eventually I imagine viable attempt to electronic ballistics / ranging will occur. Maybe.

Or we go to powered energy weapons with zero drop that travel at the speed of light, so the whole ballistics / ranging becomes moot.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 01-23-20 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not to hate on SIG, but I've been very unimpressed with their variable power optics and wouldn't purchase one - especially given the number of other players in the market at or near their price point. A friend of mine last weekend summed it up pretty well: "what do you call a 1/2 MOA accuracy, finely tuned, high-quality rifle with a low-quality optic and mount? A low-quality rifle."

While I admire what they are trying to accomplish, and see dynamic/"informed" aiming technology as empowering, until the Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) factors coincide with the right durability and price, I think that the technology will be a novelty.

RHINOWSO makes a really good point about the possibility of SIG dropping parts of their optics line, or just not updating software/firmware. I don't think that it's inconceivable, especially as SIG seems to be evolving into a company which is a government contractor that makes firearms and ammunition for the public and private sector, as opposed to a firearms company that bids on government contracts and wins them. I'd bet that at least some of their optic offerings were directly influenced by what they viewed as low-hanging fruit within available solicitations.

I guess that only time will tell...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

I believe Steiner is going to be your Huckleberry, but be prepared to call your loan officer:

https://www.steiner-optics.com/rifle...8xi-ifs-1-8x24

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites...m8xi_ifs_0.pdf

Every time I see a basic LVPO weighing a pound and a half I have to ask, is it made of lead? I mean you're trying to load balance and come up with a package that's fast, maneuverable and still has the ability to reach out a bit, but you're going to throw a pound and a half on the highest point on the fulcrum? Ten years from now people are going to figure out that's not where it's at and all these high dollar boat anchors are going to be collecting safe lint.

What we really need is an advancement in construction and materials that will allow for a rugged LVPO with 8-10X on the upper end and a weight point around 15oz. The closest I've seen so far is the VX-6 Multigun (discontinued), superlight at 13.4oz but lacks a couple of features and Leupold hasn't had the best track record of late.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I believe Steiner is going to be your Huckleberry, but be prepared to call your loan officer:

https://www.steiner-optics.com/rifle...8xi-ifs-1-8x24

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites...m8xi_ifs_0.pdf

Every time I see a basic LVPO weighing a pound and a half I have to ask, is it made of lead? I mean you're trying to load balance and come up with a package that's fast, maneuverable and still has the ability to reach out a bit, but you're going to throw a pound and a half on the highest point on the fulcrum? Ten years from now people are going to figure out that's not where it's at and all these high dollar boat anchors are going to be collecting safe lint.

What we really need is an advancement in construction and materials that will allow for a rugged LVPO with 8-10X on the upper end and a weight point around 15oz. The closest I've seen so far is the VX-6 Multigun (discontinued), superlight at 13.4oz but lacks a couple of features and Leupold hasn't had the best track record of late.
    I mean let’s be real the future is a RDS with BDC adjustable turrets. LPVOs can gtfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I mean let’s be real the future is a RDS with BDC adjustable turrets. LPVOs can gtfo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll take the Aimpoint if they make it with a .6MIL dot... Who needs magnification for IDing targets at a distance anyway? We all know people just use the 1x and the tube/reticle is for coolness factor.

Also, is it just me or do those new Steiner optics look like a Star Wars spaceship:

Come to think of it, the Aimpoint doesn't look far off either!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I'll take the Aimpoint if they make it with a .6MIL dot... Who needs magnification for IDing targets at a distance anyway? We all know people just use the 1x and the tube/reticle is for coolness factor.

Also, is it just me or do those new Steiner optics look like a Star Wars spaceship:

Come to think of it, the Aimpoint doesn't look far off either!
    Quick! Call up a hammerhead corvette!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Quick! Call up a hammerhead corvette!

I see the similarities with the Aimpoint!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That Geissele optic just has a cheap look to it. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

Hopefully it has 1/10 Mil adjustments so you can be precise with your dope.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast