Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
SOTs dont do stamps. They are an intermediary, it's just goes on their books. You sell it to Joe Schmo in FL > You find an SOT here in VA to take the transfer (they will probably charge you for this) > your SOT does the paperwork to transfer the can to their books > Joe finds an FFL that will do his transfer for him > your SOT will will then transfer it to his SOT in the ATF system > when they receive it Joe does standard paperwork to put the can under him personally or his trust by paying the tax ($200 tax stamp).
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

If an NFA item is on a form 4, it stays on one. Selling out of state would require the owner to transfer the item to a dealer in the buyers state on a form 4 ($200 tax), and then that dealer would transfer the item to the buyer (second $200 tax). This is how most machine gun sales happen these days, and I can't see how a can would be any different. Other than not being worth enough to justify the investment in time and taxes.

As for VA, it's moot anyways. At this point if they outlaw them, the way the current house bill is written, a privately owned suppressor will be illegal to own before the first transfer (to an out of state dealer) has even cleared.

The only real option other than just keeping a can (or giving it up, I guess) would be to move it out of state, either to another responsible person on your trust, or placed in secure storage.