Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virginia NFA Suppresor Question

Feedback Score

Virginia NFA Suppresor Question

For those of us in Virginia with NFA items, specifically cans, what is the resale market for them?

They're trying to outright ban suppressors. NO grandfathering. If passed you would have to destroy, send them out of state (sale/store them). Of course nobody would comply.

For those that were to follow the law the question is do they hold any resale value out of state? What would that process even look like? Wouldn't it need two stamps? Via an FFL then to the purchaser? or direct to teh purchaser after their stamp is approved?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwtrfwler View Post
    For those of us in Virginia with NFA items, specifically cans, what is the resale market for them?

They're trying to outright ban suppressors. NO grandfathering. If passed you would have to destroy, send them out of state (sale/store them). Of course nobody would comply.

For those that were to follow the law the question is do they hold any resale value out of state? What would that process even look like? Wouldn't it need two stamps? Via an FFL then to the purchaser? or direct to teh purchaser after their stamp is approved?
    I don’t think there’s a resale market for them.

You have to be pretty knowledgeable to buy a used one.

I’d be concerned about bafflestrikes, broken internal components, or excessive debris.

Would a warranty be transferable from the original user to another individual? Most companies do not honor a transfer, for example, in other gun related accessories except Vortex. I don’t know of any NFA companies that honor that kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If its under a trust, find a friend in WV and add them to it.

Feedback Score
    All good points on the previous posts!

My .02 cents....

You would also have a 2 stamp transfer at this point. From you mto the out of state FFL/SOT and then from them to the buyer...adding $400 to the cost of a used suppressor is what would stop me, even if you split the cost.

Best of luck.
    Saiga S12 is my new Homeland Defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    You have to be pretty knowledgeable to buy a used one.
    If you can look at a can in person, you don't have to know very much. Buying one blind however might be a gamble.

However, in the big picture. Anyone suggesting the seizure of legally owned property needs to catch a bullet immediately. "Nip it.... Nip it in the bud"
    Last edited by markm; 01-17-20 at 16:07.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCASSgt New River View Post
    All good points on the previous posts!

My .02 cents....

You would also have a 2 stamp transfer at this point. From you mto the out of state FFL/SOT and then from them to the buyer...adding $400 to the cost of a used suppressor is what would stop me, even if you split the cost.

Best of luck.
    SOTs dont do stamps. They are an intermediary, it's just goes on their books. You sell it to Joe Schmo in FL > You find an SOT here in VA to take the transfer (they will probably charge you for this) > your SOT does the paperwork to transfer the can to their books > Joe finds an FFL that will do his transfer for him > your SOT will will then transfer it to his SOT in the ATF system > when they receive it Joe does standard paperwork to put the can under him personally or his trust by paying the tax ($200 tax stamp).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you can look at a can in person, you don't have to know very much. Buying one blind however might be a gamble.

However, in the big picture. Anyone suggesting the seizure of legally owned property needs to catch a bullet immediately. "Nip it.... Nip it in the bud"
    True

I just can’t see how a Virginian can sell to someone, sight unseen.

If necessary, I’d move my things to another state where they’re legal, pick them up if they become legal again or just move to that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    All good info guys. I think what most will do is sit on them and use them as normal. But if it really does hit the fan where they start looking for this type of thing if they do band them, which they most likely will, I would imagine most would add somebody out of state to the trust as mentioned previously. I would not buy a used can personally.

If One is to add somebody out of state on their trust then wouldn’t you have to notify the ATF of a relocation to that state. Or does that not apply?
    Last edited by tmwtrfwler; 01-17-20 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    OP I’m not dogging in your personally but Cmon dude.

If folks are coming for your cans they’re coming for your guns too. Are you just going to surrender or hide those too?

The state will LITERALLY be in the overt act of trying to confiscate your lawfully owned property and you’re still going to be concerned about notifying the ATF of your change of address??

Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    If they come to take them, it's time to use them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast