Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virginia NFA Suppresor Question

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Wrong again.

In-state owner can xfer direct to out-of-state FFL.

Still wrong. As I already stated "SOTs do stamps if they are acquiring or disposing to/from an NON-SOT"
    Is it form 4'ed to their books? They then hold the stamp? Or does it get converted?

When I say they don't do stamp I was meaning that once on their books it's all form 3 between SOTs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    First a couple of Q's.

Does Virginia currently require state notification/registration of NFA items? In my state, they don't have ANY information on whether I own a single firearm or NFA item.
    VA has notification/registration for MGs.

Va does not regulate silencers (yet), they are no different than a pipe at Home Depot to Va.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Is it form 4'ed to their books? They then hold the stamp? Or does it get converted?

When I say they don't do stamp I was meaning that once on their books it's all form 3 between SOTs.
    It is easier to understand if you realize guns are not "on stamps or forms".

A gun xferred between SOTs or .gov is tax free - no stamp. All others are tax paid $5, $200, etc.

So an FFL/SOT getting a gun from out-of-state indivudual comes in on F4, Tax Stamp. If it goes to another SOT, it goes on F3, if it goes to .gov, it goes on F5, if it goes to individual it goes on F4, to a museum, F10, etc.

Now there are some exceptions, like estate transfers.
    Last edited by Renegade; 01-18-20 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Virtually zero only if you bought a shit can.

I have sold used Knights Cans for over $1500.
    This is a good point, especially those EM cans(PN:25847)

Anyone have one?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It is easier to understand if you realize guns are not "on stamps or forms".

A gun xferred between SOTs or .gov is tax free - no stamp. All others are tax paid $5, $200, etc.

So an FFL/SOT getting a gun from out-of-state indivudual comes in on F4, Tax Stamp. If it goes to another SOT, it goes on F3, if it goes to .gov, it goes on F5, if it goes to individual it goes on F4, to a museum, F10, etc.

Now there are some exceptions, like estate transfers.
    Thanks for this

Feedback Score
    I think all of this is moot anyway. I bought a machine gun from an individual out of state. It has to transfer from him to my dealer ($200) and then from my dealer to me. I was told that transfers to SOT's are fast because there's no background check required, so expect it to take about a month. It's been three months now. I'm thinking that it just got chunked to the bottom of the pile and could take a year. The process would be exactly the same if it was a suppressor. If the statists are going to outlaw suppressors in VA, by the time the transfer gets to the top of the ATF's pile, they'll deny the transfer because it's illegal for you to own.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I think all of this is moot anyway. I bought a machine gun from an individual out of state. It has to transfer from him to my dealer ($200) and then from my dealer to me. I was told that transfers to SOT's are fast because there's no background check required, so expect it to take about a month. It's been three months now. I'm thinking that it just got chunked to the bottom of the pile and could take a year. The process would be exactly the same if it was a suppressor. If the statists are going to outlaw suppressors in VA, by the time the transfer gets to the top of the ATF's pile, they'll deny the transfer because it's illegal for you to own.
    Then what? It is a year later. The seller has your money. The SOT has your MG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Then what? It is a year later. The seller has your money. The SOT has your MG.
    Once the seller gets the stamp, I pay him the other half of the money and he ships to my SOT. Then the MG transfers to me on a Form 4 after about another year wait.

SOT to SOT transfers have been taking less than a month. If individual to SOT transfers are taking as long as regular Form 4 transfers, then it makes anything other than machine guns very difficult for an individual to sell.

Feedback Score
    All good info.... appreciate it guys.

The reality is that nobody in VA is going to turn in, register, or get rid of anything. Yesterday proved it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123