Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noveske or KAC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    He'd be just as well served with a cheap PSA AR15 than he would be with a Noveske or KAC if he doesn't plan on shooting it...
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    2. If he wants any AR - he can buy the cheapest one, most likely it won't matter for him. Just buy a larger brand so it's not a total trash and has some warranty - Palmetto, Aero, or something along those lines. Budget brands are budget brands, and quality will always be debatable. Functionally, they'll probably work okay...
    Something like a PSA is the LAST AR I'd recommend for someone needing one strictly as a tool. ARs like the PSA must be shot- and shot a lot to expose any fixes they need such as extractor springs, hammer springs, over sized gas ports and so on- before they can be considered reliable enough for use as an emergency tool.

The PSA I had was rock reliable, but not until I'd put out through its paces and addressed its shortcomings.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-19-20 at 09:44.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Something like a PSA is the LAST AR I'd recommend for someone needing one strictly as a tool. ARs like the PSA must be shot- and shot a lot to expose any fixes they need such as extractor springs, hammer springs, over sized gas ports and so on- before they can be considered reliable enough for use as an emergency tool.

The PSA I had was rock reliable, but not until I'd put out through its paces and addressed its shortcomings.
    I agree, and would like to clarify my statement - I would not recommend a budget brand as a reliable tool (PSA, Aero, or otherwise). Not even a range toy for myself now. I was specifically referring to his BIL's situation of basically never using it besides zeroing. It's unlikely he would know the difference if the use is nil.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't understand why everyone is trying to convince the dude to not spend KAC money. Guy said he wants the best, the easy button, and has the money to do so.

He said he doesn't want to shoot much and proof the gun/optic/etc. Who cares if he "appreciates the nuances?"

KAC SR15
    Aimpoint T2
    Surefire Scout
    PMag M3s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Noveske or KAC

I would try and explain how a SOLGW, LMT, Sionics, BCM, Daniel Defense, Centurion or Geissele would be more than adequate for your BIL’s needs and that he should invest the difference in ammo and training. If your BIL won’t be swayed towards something a little less expensive then I also vote KAC if those are the only two options he’s considering. I’ve heard too many reports that the quality of Noveske has slipped substantially since the death of John Noveske to discount. One of my friends has a KAC SR15 that I’ve gotten to shoot and it’s a fantastic gun. Lightweight and accurate with very little felt recoil.

Since the purpose of this rifle is to “deter” looters, you should find out if your BIL is mentally prepared to actually shoot another human. If he’s not, it doesn’t matter what gun he buys.
    Last edited by ruckusjuice; 01-19-20 at 12:39. Reason: Had the wrong word quoted from the OP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is trying to convince the dude to not spend KAC money. Guy said he wants the best, the easy button, and has the money to do so.

He said he doesn't want to shoot much and proof the gun/optic/etc. Who cares if he "appreciates the nuances?"

KAC SR15
    Aimpoint T2
    Surefire Scout
    PMag M3s
    This. Times two.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

I sent a link to this thread to my BIL and he appreciates the help.

I did mention to him that if he had to use it, the police could hold on to it for a while as evidence.

I think from his research, my BIL thinks a semi SG would be better than an Ar for him. I think he is going to compare them.
    (I suggested a semi SG over a pump - easier to manipulate > greater reliability)

Or the Ar may be for his wife.

I have nothing against psa for someone with a small budget but he is well off and can easily afford 2 colt oems...which is only a little more than a psa (when your rich)

He has been in martial arts since high school but had to stop when he had kids and now he also helps his parents a lot.
    He would use the rifle if he had to...but he is somewhat versed in escrima, stand up and jiu-jitsu. He is not fat. He has gained muscle and is fairly lean. This Vulcan is pretty tough. I think he used to help his police officer friend train other police and maybe a few swat. (His friend is pretty tuff too. While a cadet at the academy, I think he was better than the instructors so they asked him to help teach the other cadets)

Point is he is smart, rich and can go hands if needed.....so he’ll use it....but only if necessary .....like Spock :-)

My wife, her dad and her brothers are good in art and music. My BIL may be slightly attracted to the aesthetics of some “tools” and may be why he was leaning to a Noveske.

Thanks again for your advice!! It’s always good to get other perspectives
    Last edited by tim808; 01-19-20 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just have him get the Noveske first since he's into aesthetics, then he will eventually get the KAC to try out later. I don't think anyone really stops after the first rifle if they are actually interested in shooting. He can't go wrong with either choice.

Feedback Score
    KAC. It’ll run forever and is a top performer. Shotguns are nice but don’t have range or capacity like an AR. We had rioting / protesting near us about 4-5 years ago. I bought a chest rig to carry 8 AR mags and 4 Glock mags from SKD. I figured if 30 rounds of BH 77 gr TMK, 240 rounds of XM193, and 85 rounds of 124 gr HSTs couldn’t get us out.

It probably wasn’t going to happen.

God Bless you guys,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

MistWolf,

I didn't explain myself very well with that post. My point I was trying to make was that, if one is buying an AR to not shoot and only to wave at looters, then they are best served with something that looks like an AR, no matter how it was assembled or functions. PSA was just the cheapest brand I could think of. I would never advocate anyone serious about the defense of self or others to buy one.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim808 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

I sent a link to this thread to my BIL and he appreciates the help.

I did mention to him that if he had to use it, the police could hold on to it for a while as evidence.

I think from his research, my BIL thinks a semi SG would be better than an Ar for him. I think he is going to compare them.
    (I suggested a semi SG over a pump - easier to manipulate > greater reliability)

Or the Ar may be for his wife.

I have nothing against psa for someone with a small budget but he is well off and can easily afford 2 colt oems...which is only a little more than a psa (when your rich)

He has been in martial arts since high school but had to stop when he had kids and now he also helps his parents a lot.
    He would use the rifle if he had to...but he is somewhat versed in escrima, stand up and jiu-jitsu. He is not fat. He has gained muscle and is fairly lean. This Vulcan is pretty tough. I think he used to help his police officer friend train other police and maybe a few swat. (His friend is pretty tuff too. While a cadet at the academy, I think he was better than the instructors so they asked him to help teach the other cadets)

Point is he is smart, rich and can go hands if needed.....so he’ll use it....but only if necessary .....like Spock :-)

My wife, her dad and her brothers are good in art and music. My BIL may be slightly attracted to the aesthetics of some “tools” and may be why he was leaning to a Noveske.

Thanks again for your advice!! It’s always good to get other perspectives
    What a strange post. Possibly the strangest I have read on this forum.

Anyways...

Okay. Tell him to enjoy his shotgun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast