Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on M81 Woodland Camo pattern?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question What are your thoughts on M81 Woodland Camo pattern?

I still have a couple of unissued sets of BDU left over from my days w/USAF. Wondering if there’s any point to keeping them. Surplus store in Phoenix pays pretty good for these right now, and they’re just hanging around in the closet for “just in case.”

Just in case of what isn’t really clear in my noggin’...

Good to keep?

Or not such a great camo option?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The old woodland camo works very well in my rural area of VA. It still sees use by tons of outdoorsman, hunters, some LE units, etc.
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    M81 in PHX? That ain’t gonna blend well.

If you have family to pass them onto, sure. Otherwise, the pattern seems ill-suited to that environment.
    I am impressed if you still fit in your BDUs. I do not rate a small or medium waist anymore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    What are your thoughts on M81 Woodland Camo pattern?
    Like and use a great deal in the woods, and I'm glad to see companies are still making gear and tech clothing in the pattern. Has the added benefit of not evoking the same milsim/poser/wannabe vibe that multicam can.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    M81 in PHX? That ain’t gonna blend well.

If you have family to pass them onto, sure. Otherwise, the pattern seems ill-suited to that environment.
    I am impressed if you still fit in your BDUs. I do not rate a small or medium waist anymore.
    Actually I’m in central AZ, but woodland doesn’t work so well here, either.

It does do well further up, around Flagstaff and Williams. Now you have me wondering if I should keep the DCU, that might do ok, here.

I appreciate the kind words, btw - I do indeed, still fit: Large Regular BDU trousers, Large Long BDU shirt.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 01-18-20 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Like and use a great deal in the woods, and I'm glad to see companies are still making gear and tech clothing in the pattern. Has the added benefit of not evoking the same milsim/poser/wannabe vibe that multicam can.
    Excellent points, all - last sentence in particular is a gem.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never been a huge fan of M81. It's far too dark for anything after early fall here in Kansas, and the BDU cut isn't my favorite. I wish they had stuck with the Jungle Fatigue-style pockets. Oh well. I've got a set, but that's more of a part of the collection than anything else. Not sure what else you have, so it's hard to say get rid of it, but it does sound like it doesn't really serve a role as a camouflage uniform for your area, so it's likely not the best option.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For a modern take on woodland pattern, Beyond Clothing has several styles, fabrics, and weights for both mil/gov type work and daily wear. Link to the pro line:
    https://beyondclothing.com/collections/mission. Other stuff is on the menu tabs. Axios is berry compliant, Kyros the import line (and GTG).

I'm a big fan of the Prima Lochi reversible layer: https://beyondclothing.com/collectio...31037427449918

Their "rustic green" color works well with several camo patterns and under patterned LBE and packs. In denser woods and rocky terrain, same for the mantee grey.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Has the added benefit of not evoking the same milsim/poser/wannabe vibe that multicam can.
    I'm seeing more and more used multicam and ocp in the local surplus stores, and it's getting much cheaper. so more and more is going to move into broader wear just like woodland did.

Over time I think that's going to change, just like it did for woodland. Used to be are you could get cheap was OG jungle fatigues and later, ERDL, and only the Tactical Timmy's of the day had woodland.

I have a bunch of 3 color desert that I bought cheap that I use as work jackets on the property to avoid looking like I'm tactical dress up. Then again sometimes I'm in DPN, a-tacs, and used multicam/OCP if I'm trying to sneak up on the beavers or other critters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of M81. It's far too dark for anything after early fall here in Kansas, and the BDU cut isn't my favorite. I wish they had stuck with the Jungle Fatigue-style pockets. Oh well. I've got a set, but that's more of a part of the collection than anything else. Not sure what else you have, so it's hard to say get rid of it, but it does sound like it doesn't really serve a role as a camouflage uniform for your area, so it's likely not the best option.
    Much of Yavapai County is ideally suited for MC - well, vice-versa. Different light and dark shades of brown, with green popping out. I have a Crye khaki G3 field shirt I use a lot, with a pair of heavy canvas, faded OD trousers I got in Japan.

MC Arid would work well here, no doubt.

For the reasons ST911 pointed out, I’m reluctant to use MC (though I do have trousers in that color), owing to the LARP/CosPlay factor ...
    Last edited by Buncheong; 01-19-20 at 15:42.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast