Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When you clean your bolt guns, how many patches, how clean, when is enough enough?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I meant cut rifled or button rifled, and hand lapped or not but I mixed the two together.

Thanks for catching that. You earned one internet point today.
    Yay! I’ll try not to spend it all at one place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Boretech products are all good stuff. There factory is around the corner from my house and the owners are excellent people

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am a little late to the party on this one.

If it is a rifle I shoot in competition, I have a fairly good idea of how often it needs cleaned, and I make sure to clean before I get to that point as I don't want accuracy to degrade mid match.

Everything else, I clean when accuracy begins to degrade.

Or if I am bored.

Or if I pissed off the Mrs.

Regardless, I use Boretech Cu2 (Copper Remover) until the patches stop making blue, then Boretech C4 until patches come out clean (or cleanish).

Barrels like some carbon in them, getting a feel for how clean your patches needs to be will depend on the barrel.

Finally, bore finish will determine just how clean you can get your barrel.

A hand lapped, stainless, cut rifled barrel cleans infinitely easier than an off the shelf factory cmv barrel.

Feedback Score
    No hard and fast rule on removing copper. Some rifles won't shoot till they are "shot in" and copper is deposited, other rifles quit shooting well when they get the copper in place. The main thing is to not shoot them in a cold, dirty condition.

You might try this to see how yours do.

Start with a cold clean barrel and shoot one round per minute for 25 minutes from the bench and clean it quickly with just the way you clean except don't use a copper defouler and then shoot another 25 rounds. Save both groups and then defoul with copper cleaner and do it another 25 rounds and see if you have a change of impact at first or change in group size.

If there is change for the better with no copper then you know what that barrel wants to eat. If there is no change don't worry about the copper.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    No hard and fast rule on removing copper. Some rifles won't shoot till they are "shot in" and copper is deposited, other rifles quit shooting well when they get the copper in place. The main thing is to not shoot them in a cold, dirty condition.

You might try this to see how yours do.

Start with a cold clean barrel and shoot one round per minute for 25 minutes from the bench and clean it quickly with just the way you clean except don't use a copper defouler and then shoot another 25 rounds. Save both groups and then defoul with copper cleaner and do it another 25 rounds and see if you have a change of impact at first or change in group size.

If there is change for the better with no copper then you know what that barrel wants to eat. If there is no change don't worry about the copper.
    Yep, let the results do the talking.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am on the verge of cleaning some long guns due to extreme boredom. EXTREME. I worked over some handguns that were so fkg dirty I made myself laugh. My Sig Legion 226 SOA produced so much filth patch after patch, ( not in the barrel just in the gun ). that I chuckled that the gun actually ran well.

This is now the Covid19 cleaning regime thread. Just gotta run one patch with alcohol then proceed.....Isllc & Titsonritz are the nominated sponsors now that it is this serious.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I haven’t descended to that level of boredom yet! Perhaps when I run out of projectiles and the loading ceases.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234