Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with S&W model 669

Feedback Score

Help with S&W model 669

I recently came across a model 669 for a good deal, and being a fan (mostly nostalgic) of the older smith autoloaders, I jumped on it. Only problem is it came without any box, manual, etc, and has a horrible set of aftermarket pachmayr grips. The original Smith grips are long gone.

My question is, are there still any of these (genuine S&W) grips available as surplus anywhere? I can find aftermarket, unbranded grips that will fit, but any legit Smith grips I come across are worn to shit. The little pistol is in great shape for its age and I would like to have grips that are the same.

This is mostly just a nostalgia piece...it’s definitely not going to replace my M&Ps in the main carry role, but it will be shot some, and possibly carried on occasion. So, any holster recommendations would be welcome. I know some of this gen pistol will cross-reference with other models re:holsters, so any info regarding that would be appreciated as well. Like I said, no manual was included so I don’t know what I don’t know at this point.

Except for needing a thorough cleaning, I’m pretty pleased with the condition...

Any other info or history you guys might have would be appreciated.

Thanks

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try a S&W forum!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Try a S&W forum!
    Yeah I thought about that, but this is the only “gun forum” I frequent currently, and thought somebody here might know.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Sam.

That link doesn’t mention the 669 specifically, do you know if they are the same? It says the de-cocker cutout isn’t on these, but I don’t know if it matters?

I understand between the different gens of these pistols, some things are compatible and some things aren’t. I’m not well enough versed, and don’t know enough to really even research to a level I’d feel confident in what I found.

Kinda like researching seiko or Rolex...so many variations between models that often look the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Not knowing much about the minute differences between the models, I can't confirm your question. Like others said, try asking at the Smith and Wesson forum.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

As for the safety lever cut, I think a little work with a dremel will fix that.

Good luck.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    Thanks Sam.

That link doesn’t mention the 669 specifically, do you know if they are the same? It says the de-cocker cutout isn’t on these, but I don’t know if it matters?

I understand between the different gens of these pistols, some things are compatible and some things aren’t. I’m not well enough versed, and don’t know enough to really even research to a level I’d feel confident in what I found.

Kinda like researching seiko or Rolex...so many variations between models that often look the same.
    The look like they do have the cutout. Notice how is higher towards the front and lower towards the back? I believe thats the "cutout" if you compare to yours

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had 669 w/those exact grips.They worked for me alot better than the factory ones which felt too slick for my hands. IIRC correctly, I think Hogue made grips for them also as a friend had some wood ones on his. If your going nostalgic, any leather pancake by Galco, DeSantis etc will look and feel great. I still have a 6906 and a cordovan Desantis thumbbreak pancake along with matching belt and double mag pouch. Fun for a day on the range and to keep DA/SA skillks up!Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast