Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns/optics/weights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Guns/optics/weights

As I have been trying to figure out what's a heavy gun or not a heavy gun for my go to rifle. I have had the opportunity to weigh difference setups to see how big of a difference there really is between them. I confess that there are others who could do a better job, but I hope this helps some to some degree. I believe there could be more exacts numbers but this was good enough for me to help me process.

I used a 30 round PMAG with 28 rounds of IMI 77grain (1.17lbs) and a Silencerco Omega 30 cal Can with The Q Plan B (14.3oz).

16 inch KAC Mod2 with NX8 in SPHUR mount/No light/ not suppressed = 9.2lbs

11.5 KAC Mod2 with NX8 in G mount/Peq15/Surefire light/Suppressor = 10.6lbs w/o suppressor - 9.8lbs

11.5 KAC Mod2 with NF ATACR 1-8 in SPHUR mount/Surefire light/suppressor = 10.8lbs w/o suppressor 9.8lbs

10.3 MK18 DD with NX8 in SPHUR mount/Surefire light/suppressor 10.6lbs w/o suppressor 9.8lbs

12.5 Hodge Defense with NX8 in SPHUR mount/no light/ suppressor 9.8lbs w/o suppressor 9.2lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Does it feel lighter than it is due to how much weight comes from the scope?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Does it feel lighter than it is due to how much weight comes from the scope?
    I'm sorry but I don't fully understand the question.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Sorry. Example: a standard M1A is a little over 9.3 pounds, which is close to the weight of some of your set ups. The M1A can feel a bit heavy. I was wondering if the seemingly heavy set ups such as the 12.5" build don't feel so heavy because of the ergonomics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Sorry. Example: a standard M1A is a little over 9.3 pounds, which is close to the weight of some of your set ups. The M1A can feel a bit heavy. I was wondering if the seemingly heavy set ups such as the 12.5" build don't feel so heavy because of the ergonomics.
    I would say that is exactly correct. Even though my 11.5 setup with a peq 15 and a can is the heaviest, it really doesn't feel that heavy.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDG8 View Post
    As I have been trying to figure out what's a heavy gun or not a heavy gun for my go to rifle. I have had the opportunity to weigh difference setups to see how big of a difference there really is between them. I confess that there are others who could do a better job, but I hope this helps some to some degree. I believe there could be more exacts numbers but this was good enough for me to help me process.

I used a 30 round PMAG with 28 rounds of IMI 77grain (1.17lbs) and a Silencerco Omega 30 cal Can with The Q Plan B (14.3oz).

16 inch KAC Mod2 with NX8 in SPHUR mount/No light/ not suppressed = 9.2lbs

11.5 KAC Mod2 with NX8 in G mount/Peq15/Surefire light/Suppressor = 10.6lbs w/o suppressor - 9.8lbs

11.5 KAC Mod2 with NF ATACR 1-8 in SPHUR mount/Surefire light/suppressor = 10.8lbs w/o suppressor 9.8lbs

10.3 MK18 DD with NX8 in SPHUR mount/Surefire light/suppressor 10.6lbs w/o suppressor 9.8lbs

12.5 Hodge Defense with NX8 in SPHUR mount/no light/ suppressor 9.8lbs w/o suppressor 9.2lbs
    Do you actually own any of these guns, optics, etc., yourself, or is it gun shop inventory ? IMHO, every different rifle set up is made of up compromises and trade offs, and only *you* can decide where you want those to be at.
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-20-20 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Do you actually own any of these guns, optics, etc., yourself, or is it gun shop inventory ? IMHO, every different rifle set up is made of up compromises and trade offs, and only *you* can decide where you want those to be at.
    Good question.

These are mine, sir. Just trying to figure out what my setup will be. I have a lot to learn, that I understand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    10-12" barrel suppressed with a LPVO; I want to be under 10 lbs loaded.

Weight is relative to what you're trying to accomplish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    10-12" barrel suppressed with a LPVO; I want to be under 10 lbs loaded.

Weight is relative to what you're trying to accomplish.
    Right. My 11.5 suppressed with peq 15 is 10.6lbs

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Weight is easy to quantify, "feel" is a bit harder to measure. IMO, the gun should balance well enough one handed with the butt in the pocket and be as heavy as it needs to be, but not more. That means evaluating each accessory for weight and capability and deciding what's more important to you.

Of your guns, I'd probably lean towards the 11.5 KAC w/PEQ15, although I'd probably try to find a lighter white light solution and a lighter scope mount (I have a strong preference for Scalarworks' art pieces) then goof around with buttstocks to see if I could get it to balance a bit better.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 01-22-20 at 10:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast