Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guns/optics/weights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Weight is easy to quantify, "feel" is a bit harder to measure. IMO, the gun should balance well enough one handed with the butt in the pocket and be as heavy as it needs to be, but not more. That means evaluating each accessory for weight and capability and deciding what's more important to you.

Of your guns, I'd probably lean towards the 11.5 KAC w/PEQ15, although I'd probably try to find a lighter white light solution and a lighter scope mount (I have a strong preference for Scalarworks' art pieces) then goof around with buttstocks to see if I could get it to balance a bit better.
    I didn't think about a lighter stock, and or light. Thank you. I need to check how much lighter the Scalaworks mount is as compared to the G mount. I did like the G because it is 1.93

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDG8 View Post
    I didn't think about a lighter stock, and or light. Thank you. I need to check how much lighter the Scalaworks mount is as compared to the G mount. I did like the G because it is 1.93
    To be honest, we're talking about saving maybe a total of 5-8oz between a mount (consider non QD), a light and playing around with stocks. It's probably not worth $400 to save 2oz on the mount. But you do have that Surefire Mini Scout on the Mk18 and a few stocks already on hand to play around with. This is one of those "Do it right the first time." situations. Ask me and my wife's 26oz 1-8x optic in ADM Recon QD on top of her SOCOM barreled Colt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I agree ergos mean a lot. When you put a pound on the end of 16inch barrel is different than when its on a 10.3. Short offers or shorter offers many advantages. You can still make easy hits to 3-500 yards which is more than even SHTF guns will usually need.

My Colt6945 with T2 and Sig can is my goto.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I agree ergos mean a lot. When you put a pound on the end of 16inch barrel is different than when its on a 10.3. Short offers or shorter offers many advantages. You can still make easy hits to 3-500 yards which is more than even SHTF guns will usually need.

My Colt6945 with T2 and Sig can is my goto.

PB
    My real world experience is zero. I have 4 kids, family business which I work 6 days a week. I am an elected city council member and Sunday is our church day. These are not excuses but simply the reality of all my guns and setups are theory. Sure, I dry fire and go NV shooting here and there but I don't have real world experience. So I do look to you guys for advice. So THANK YOU!

I was deciding between the kac 11.5 vs the DD mk18 for my SHTF setup with NV and a NX8. I chose the KAC because it added an inch and it was the same weight. But something in me tells me to goto the 10.3 but again, it is not a real world "feeling". Thanks again, guys.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDG8 View Post
    My real world experience is zero. I have 4 kids, family business which I work 6 days a week. I am an elected city council member and Sunday is our church day. These are not excuses but simply the reality of all my guns and setups are theory. Sure, I dry fire and go NV shooting here and there but I don't have real world experience. So I do look to you guys for advice. So THANK YOU!

I was deciding between the kac 11.5 vs the DD mk18 for my SHTF setup with NV and a NX8. I chose the KAC because it added an inch and it was the same weight. But something in me tells me to goto the 10.3 but again, it is not a real world "feeling". Thanks again, guys.
    Either would be just fine. Just take it to indoor range if your time is limited, and run some mags to make sure your gun functions. The KAC with added length and reputation would be my choice just for a better chance of reliability.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread got me interested, so I rounded up some guns and the kitchen scale. The results are as follows.

Gen 3 PMag loaded to 28 rounds of 64gr Gold dot: 1.07 pounds

16" BCM ELW barrel with 13" KMR (original) micro red dot and magpul buis(no mag): 6.5 pounds

10.5" with streamlite protac 2 and micro red dot (no mag): 6.5 pounds

14.5" Faxon gunner, with ALG rail 13", Steiner P4xi in aero mount, and VFG (no mag): 7.3 pounds

CZ scorpion evo w/ SB folding arm brace and micro red dot (no mag): 5.7 pounds

Overall I am pretty happy with the weight on my go to guns. Even with white light and optic my HD gun is still 6.5 pounds, before a loaded magazine. My Match gun is the 14.5 weighing in at only 7.3 pounds WITH an LPVO on it. Very happy over all.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    This thread got me interested, so I rounded up some guns and the kitchen scale. The results are as follows.

Gen 3 PMag loaded to 28 rounds of 64gr Gold dot: 1.07 pounds

16" BCM ELW barrel with 13" KMR (original) micro red dot and magpul buis(no mag): 6.5 pounds

10.5" with streamlite protac 2 and micro red dot (no mag): 6.5 pounds

14.5" Faxon gunner, with ALG rail 13", Steiner P4xi in aero mount, and VFG (no mag): 7.3 pounds

CZ scorpion evo w/ SB folding arm brace and micro red dot (no mag): 5.7 pounds

Overall I am pretty happy with the weight on my go to guns. Even with white light and optic my HD gun is still 6.5 pounds, before a loaded magazine. My Match gun is the 14.5 weighing in at only 7.3 pounds WITH an LPVO on it. Very happy over all.
    Interesting, thank you. Yeah, I was little surprised my 11.5 was 10.6lbs

Feedback Score
    BCM 11.5" with P4xi 1-4 Aero mt; SF SOCOM Mini; Magpul 29 rds Black Hills 77 gr TMK; no light: 9 lbs 01 oz

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Hodge 12.5 with AAC mini can, surfire scout w/ pressure pad, BUIS, and a leupold vx6hd 1-6 is 9lb 1oz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Hodge 12.5 with AAC mini can, surfire scout w/ pressure pad, BUIS, and a leupold vx6hd 1-6 is 9lb 1oz

Interesting!

I'm trying to figure out how this is lighter than my Hodge 12.5. And mine did not have a can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast