Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Shadow Systems MR920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Any problems running OEM Glock Gen5 G19 magazines with or without the magwell or any other OEM Glock magazines with the magwell?
    I am using G5 mags with mine but am not running the mag well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A DR920 pic I found on socialized media:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Anyone have the MR920 and dislike it?

TL : DR that's me, and I prefer gen5 stock G19 to MR920. OR get MR920 combat, not elite

I missed the MR918 when they were on sale when they went end of life and the MR920 was announced. So I had it in back of my mind I really wanted one and it was kind of gnawing at me for a good while. So when I found in stock online, I couldn't decide if I'd like the combat or elite, and no local LGS had any so I could handle both and decide. So what does a normal person do in that situation? Buy both of course

So I've never been a "Glock Guy". I did finally get a gen 5 G19 when they came out as my first Glock. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I shoot it well, and I get why a lot of people say "if you can only have ONE handgun, get a G19". But, I simply prefer Sig....and several others over a Glock. But even at that and putting lots of rounds thru the G19, I still wanted the MR920. I figured if I can do X with the G19, I can do X much faster or much more accurately or much more something..... And here's where the disappointment comes in...on a shot timer, I run my bone stock gen 5 G19 better than either MR920. Almost the same with the combat, noticeably slower with the elite. I run an X5 faster than a P320 and an X5 Legion faster than an X5. I run a CZ Shadow2 faster than a CZ75. I run LTT 92FS faster than M9. You see where i'm going....my expectations were I'd run MR920 faster than a stock G19 because in every other case a tuned gun or higher "trim level" factory gun that has always been the case. Mostly anyway - If you put an SRT trigger in a P226 I'll probably do the same on it as the P226 Legion, but it's not as different than it's vanilla counterpart other than cosmetics mostly.

And that kind of sums up the MR920 for me. It looks better than a G19, but even though the spec sheet says it's > than a stock G19, the performance just isn't there. The cosmetics are there, and if looking cool is half the battle, well MR920 then. So here's what I like about it:

- The grip texture is nice

- I like the magwell and with magwell installed, it fits my hand better (and no half-moon cutout), I really prefer the feel in my hands vs G19. The undercut isn't much, but helps too

- The barrel is good and both shoot very well - tight groups, I'm not going to miss anything I aimed at

- Cosmetics - yes it looks good, esp the elite. Mine are both blacked out - I didn't get the pimp copper (but in all honesty would have got the elite in copper if it was in stock)

- PMags - Glock guys have told me both: PMag in gen 5 G19 is a no-go, PMag in a gen 5 is perfectly fine and 100% as reliable as OEM. Since not a "Glock guy" I have no idea which statement is true but my gen 5 G19 seems to not care if OEM or PMag.

- Backstraps are better. This might be in my head or due to the better grip texture and overall feel, or the added pinky support with magewell, or lack of half-moon cutout....but each backstrap insert feels like more of an angle change vs just making the grip longer. Feels like the backstrap inserts on the SS frame are 3 separate feels vs 3 shades of same color - if that makes sense.

- 2.4 oz lighter*

- Extended beavertail. Out of a CompTac I draw either the same. Don't have an ALS for the G19 yet, but suspect will be a hair faster with it due to that beavertail. I don't think I can grip a G19 badly enough to get a slide bite, but if hands were fatter could be added protection there too.

So far sounds like MR920 is much gooder, right? well here's where reality smacked me around the head and neck....Some of the MR920 "upgrades" really aren't. They actually make the gun worse (to me, maybe to others they make it better and I'm just an oddball)

- Slide lock - upgrade on SS frame is the the little guard shelf under it. My grip naturally doesn't interfere so it isn't an upgrade to me. however, the G19 has ambi slide release, MR920 does not. And I can hit slide release with my thumb on G19. SS I can barely - and i mean just barely - use right thumb to actuate slide release. Reality is slingshot or hit it with support hand, but it seems odd you can't [without much difficulty] hit the slide release one-handed with right thumb.

- Trigger - other than being flat face they are the same. I was expecting a sweet ass trigger. Reality is average 1/2 lb lighter (and it has lots of variation on the trigger scale) but it has a noticeably longer "creep". You take up to where there is resistance, from there the trigger press to breaking the shot is 1.5x longer on the MR920. The stock G19 trigger is superior and this "upgrade" is lacking

- Trigger reset - if you let off the MR920 trigger slowly to reset, you feel 3 separate steps - or grit - or drag - or whatever you want to call it, but release it slow and you feel it hit 3 walls on it's way to reset. The G19, just smoothly resets. Distance is same for both

- Sights. Front sight is same as my factory NS but green circle vs orange. Rear sights are blacked out. G19 has tritium dots on rear sight too. Basically it's personal preference 3-dot vs blacked rear, but you get 2 more specs of tritium on the plain Jane gun... Elite with threaded barrel does come with suppressor height sights so that's cool....

- ...but here's what isn't cool....can't mount my suppressor to the MR920!!! The guide rod contacts it and interferes. Barely - it needs about 1/16th" to clear. Thread length is .440" which is good, but the barrel OAL needs to be maybe 80-100 thou longer. Who designs that and calls it good? Most popular commercial cans with a smaller diameter booster will work, but not all, and some will depend on how they clock. An A2 FH (yeah, don't do that but for illustration) barely clears the guide rod when cycling slide so anything slightly larger in diameter at very end won't work.

- The "grippy gas pedal" for your support thumb. Sounds dumb, but I was stoked for that! Reality is, it sucks. It's flat, not at an angle. And [most likely for holster compatibility] way too narrow. My left thumb flies off it like it's a little ski jump for your thumb! It makes it worse and if the ledge/gas pedal wasn't there and it was all a flat pad of rough stippled texture, that would be MUCH better. As it is, it makes me milk my grip, but with my support hand. You know how novice shooters (or when you were learning/breaking bad habits) milk their firing hand due to bad grip? Well I find myself doing that with my support hand! Never ever has that been a problem, but this cool "upgrade" but poorly designed/executed actually does the opposite of what it should!

- And that leads to overall control. The elite - even with extended threaded barrel - is 2.4oz lighter than G19 (and that's the * above on weight). All fine & dandy, but all [ok most] of that weight is coming from lightening cuts forward of the ejection port. It's deceiving because the gun feels very well balanced in your hand and if you swap back & forth between it and G19, the G19 feels "nose-heavy". The MR920 doesn't feel "ass-heavy" it just feels balanced really well. But that lack of weight up front makes it snappy in recoil. Similar to a smallish .380 or a .40SW of similar size but more weight (think P229). So the muzzle wants to flip and your left thumb gets launched off the pad designed to help it dig in. Result is much slower transition to next target. --^-- that's what front sight does and split times will quantify just how bad it is. I don't think it's me. I have 20 or so different 9mm pistols and run any compact or larger frame size faster than the elite. it's on par with something like P365 that takes a bit longer for followups or transitions due to size. It's not as bad as a SW shield ver 1.0, but slower than stock G19, MP 2.0, P10C, VP9, P320, CZ75, P226, XDM, 92F, P229, etc etc.

- Match barrel. Yeah, it's good for tight groups. I know whatever the FS is covering that's where the round will land. Exactly. However, it's too tight and after a few hundred rounds still that way. both of them. It will sometimes fail to go into battery. Kind of like how sometimes you cerakote a gun and that eats up the clearance for the barrel hood and needs a slight chamfer to run again....these are same way. Why isn't that hand-fit at factory? You either file on it or do an excessively long break-in, or just run hotter loads maybe, but out of the box, neither was reliable. And I did try OEM Glock mags to make sure it wasn't a Pmag issue. My range loads are on the milder side @ 1,125fps 115gr, but they function in everything else with no issues. If it cleared up in a mag or 2, I'd say that's fine and just needed some break in, but 15 mags in and can still hang up not going into battery? I don't think it's a light recoil spring issue, just the fitment of the barrel to slide. Simulate a press check and you can really see & feel how it hangs up. Very infrequent, but both have done it more than once and after several mags.

- Striker spring. Not sure if this is a legit con, especially since I find nothing wrong with Sig striker fired guns (after factory recalls, upgraded versions from the beta public release ). But the G19 striker hits "with authority". The MR920 is kind of a twangy ping vs the Glock "thud". Still better than the Sig "unhh" and I got no light strikes, failure to fire from it. If I got a great trigger and that banjo string sounding striker spring was part of the reason, that would be fine. But the trigger is "meh" at best, so give me that Glock positive striker hit on the primer and no worries about sub freezing temps + heavy oil/light grease in striker channel or just an abnormally hard primer. If there were a pistol equivalent to a CCI #41 primer in cup hardness, I wouldn't think twice about G19 igniting it. MR920....I wouldn't bet on that being 100%. But again, I had no failures, this whole part is conjecture.

I like the little range bag cases the MR920's came with, the tool for changing backstraps and adding the magwell looked iffy but actually works great, the packaging was nice how they taped little baggies to lid vs random stuff just floating in box. Overall, I don't want to sound negative because they are nice guns. Just disappointing because I was expecting better performance vs a stock gen5 G19 and reality was (for me, my grip, my style of shooting) the stock G19 performs better by most measures.

Note....as I'm typing this, I'm frequently picking up all 3 to compare and remember differences and I keep going back to 2 things. (1) the MR920 is much prettier. Much prettier. They are very good looking guns, and esp compared to G19 don't have that chunky, bulky, dated look. (2) The handling and my support hand [thumb] issues don't seem like they should be. The G19 has nothing there for the thumb, yet my grip is consistent and rock solid. But I can't keep left thumb in place on the MR920. Maybe that's me unconsciously trying to dig that thumb in harder to use the gas pedal as intended or to trying to get more positive control and keep the FS from moving farther up than normal? Don't know. I'm not the guy who wonders why every new gun out of the box needs sights adjusted because every factory sets its guns to shoot low left. to you if you get that. I spent a metric fkton of time - and still do - working on draw and grip (let's not even talk about mag changes). If I ever have grip issues - and i run against a shot timer a lot to highlight deficiencies and identify where I need to improve (or something I worked on and slipped back to old habits) - I stop and fix that and do some basic drills. The stuff is perishable and age (~50) doesn't help, so I'm always working. So of everything, I think that's biggest disappointment and what keeps from running these faster than a G19. And what's really weird, just handling them and dry firing - the MR920 seems better! If you were choosing in LGS, you'd pick the MR920 for it's feel in your hands. It isn't until live firing and recoil is introduced the issues are apparent.

In all, a stock gen5 G19 with factory NS gives you ambi slide release that you can actually use with average guy hand strength, same front sight, better rear (arguably, user preference for 3 dot), better trigger (which is a huge miss for SS on that!), 3 OEM mags vs 2 Pmags (although the combat came with extra 10 Pmags for free, elite only 2), and for hundreds $ less. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get the MR918 before I got a G19 and am glad I got the G19 prior to MR920. Again, not being a "glock guy" (never owned one, was never issued one, and was always that whiny tit saying "I don't like the grip angle") I think it's a good perspective. I never disliked Glocks (had trash to talk since I preferred many other competing models, but no hate), just always preferred something else. Before finally getting a G19, I went to LGS 3 separate times with the intent to get a G19 - just because I didn't have a Glock. Left with VP9 first time, P10C 2nd time, and [gasp] TP9SFX 3rd time. Wasn't until 4th time I specifically headed out to get a Glock I actually came home with one I only babble on about that to illustrate I'm not bashing MR920 from a Glock fanboi perspective...quite the opposite and my intent was to NEVER get a Glock but get an MR918 instead. Timing, availability, good deal on a gen5 at the time they were hen's teeth, just worked out I have G19 in the mix. So I think my evaluation/comparison is very unbiased. In fact, since I dropped $1900ish on the MR920's vs $525 on the G19, you'd think I'd be rationalizing like hell on how they are superior.....like I do on my P226 Legion (but by any measure other than sights and pretty gray color it isn't superior).

If you do want an MR920 (and please don't let me dissuade you! - that's not my intent), I suggest the combat vs the elite. The combat has fewer lightening cuts so it's closer in weight, esp up front, to a G19. It doesn't have those serrations on top of slide either which is probably a plus. Those serrations are cosmetic or lightening, but not useful to even press check. If you have gorilla hand strength, you're still not going to use those serrations and you'd never use them on anything to rack one-handed like you can hooking your rear sight. Elite vs combat was tough for me since not having in front of me, hard to decide from pics, reviews, SS website. The frames are the same. Triggers are same. The only difference in elite is more slide cuts, thus ~1oz lighter, and RMR cut (or whatever - I think it accepts just about anything and I'm using RMR cut as a generic term for "ability to mount an RDS"). My elite has extended threaded barrel but that's an option on any. If using something like a Ti-Rant 9 it would work. A Dead Air Wolf, might not - looks like it would not, but don't have one to say for sure. I can say 100% for certain a 1.25" diameter direct thread won't work - not even close (unless you wanted to get stupid and shim it out).

Anyway, I shoot the combat faster than the elite. It is very close to same times as G19. The elite is where it really shows up in split times and I think that's all due to the weight removed from front of slide but not compensated for in frame or somewhere else. Take X5 Legion for example, they lightened slide a lot, but put tungsten inserts in frame, and that gun runs fast. The difference in "controlability" is obvious even without a timer - you just put that FS where it should be - your good grip just translates to the FS going form target to target or staying on the same target. I expected that from the elite and it just isn't there. It's acceptable as-is. Don't get me wrong, the gun isn't a turd. I was just expecting a little more "race gun" feel and it being slower was a big let down. I think the combat - esp with the extra 10 Pmags for 12 in total deal - is a good gun for the money ($800ish). Even vs a gen 5 G19, you get front slide serrations (mine doesn't have, newer gen 5 do have ), night sights (FS only, but factory NS is $$$ upgrade on G19), no half moon cut out, mag well, carry case/range bag. A new G19 gen 5 with front serrations and factory NS is what - $650ish? I got a killer deal on mine but no front serrations. Blue label probably more of a bargain. So for $150 more give or take, the 10 extra Pmags pretty much makes them cost the same (assuming you want 12 mags or will sell what you consider excess). So at that point when comparing stock G19 with front serrations and factory NS to the MR920 combat with 10 Pmag promo (I don't know if that's everywhere or just a KY Gun Co thing), you can about say cost is same (if you can't get blue label Glock). At that point now it comes down to user preference, does your grip benefit or fail with the gas pedal design, do you value cosmetics/cool factor over [slight] difference in split times, you cool with loooong break in or light filing to get 100% reliability, are you going to pay $80ish for a G19 mag well, etc. Even though my tone was negative overall on MR920, I could easily argue either way G19 vs MR920 combat w/ extra 10 mags. Throwing the elite into the mix is probably what jaded me since it's much less gun (functionally/performance) for much more money. I would take a TP9 SFX over an MR920 elite. Actually, for same money, I'd take 2 TP9 SFX. Or just about any Sig Legion or Elite, Walther PPQ Q5 Match, CZ Shadow, Sig P210, Ernest Langdon M9, or even a fun toy like a Scorpion or Stribog - there are plenty of other $1k-ish 9mm that make the MR920 elite a poor choice. Again, could argue the combat easily, but the elite gives nothing more than prettiness and muzzle flip for much more $. Maybe at $750ish since you're getting the RDS cut? Would be interesting to hear more opinions on them, esp the combat vs elite. My research (and research = youtube videos, forum posts, mostly paid shills or conjecture from spec sheets or handling without firing) led me to believe the MR920 was superior to the combat and vastly superior to the G19. In all honesty I haven't even read all the posts prior to this one on this thread - I read the first post and replied, so I might be repeating what others have said or hurting feelings of other owners in love with these, IDK??? But I am curious what others think.

And lastly, If I'm full of poo.....I have a private range to 300M. If you're close to NC, come show me what I'm doing wrong. That's not an arrogant call out - that's a for real invitation. If you run an MR920 very well, and you're in my area, come show me what I need to do to be better! I'm always happy to learn how to improve or see how others do something that I can incorporate into my training
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    Anyone have the MR920 and dislike it?

TL : DR that's me, and I prefer gen5 stock G19 to MR920. OR get MR920 combat, not elite

I missed the MR918 when they were on sale when they went end of life and the MR920 was announced. So I had it in back of my mind I really wanted one and it was kind of gnawing at me for a good while. So when I found in stock online, I couldn't decide if I'd like the combat or elite, and no local LGS had any so I could handle both and decide. So what does a normal person do in that situation? Buy both of course

So I've never been a "Glock Guy". I did finally get a gen 5 G19 when they came out as my first Glock. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I shoot it well, and I get why a lot of people say "if you can only have ONE handgun, get a G19". But, I simply prefer Sig....and several others over a Glock. But even at that and putting lots of rounds thru the G19, I still wanted the MR920. I figured if I can do X with the G19, I can do X much faster or much more accurately or much more something..... And here's where the disappointment comes in...on a shot timer, I run my bone stock gen 5 G19 better than either MR920. Almost the same with the combat, noticeably slower with the elite. I run an X5 faster than a P320 and an X5 Legion faster than an X5. I run a CZ Shadow2 faster than a CZ75. I run LTT 92FS faster than M9. You see where i'm going....my expectations were I'd run MR920 faster than a stock G19 because in every other case a tuned gun or higher "trim level" factory gun that has always been the case. Mostly anyway - If you put an SRT trigger in a P226 I'll probably do the same on it as the P226 Legion, but it's not as different than it's vanilla counterpart other than cosmetics mostly.

And that kind of sums up the MR920 for me. It looks better than a G19, but even though the spec sheet says it's > than a stock G19, the performance just isn't there. The cosmetics are there, and if looking cool is half the battle, well MR920 then. So here's what I like about it:

- The grip texture is nice

- I like the magwell and with magwell installed, it fits my hand better (and no half-moon cutout), I really prefer the feel in my hands vs G19. The undercut isn't much, but helps too

- The barrel is good and both shoot very well - tight groups, I'm not going to miss anything I aimed at

- Cosmetics - yes it looks good, esp the elite. Mine are both blacked out - I didn't get the pimp copper (but in all honesty would have got the elite in copper if it was in stock)

- PMags - Glock guys have told me both: PMag in gen 5 G19 is a no-go, PMag in a gen 5 is perfectly fine and 100% as reliable as OEM. Since not a "Glock guy" I have no idea which statement is true but my gen 5 G19 seems to not care if OEM or PMag.

- Backstraps are better. This might be in my head or due to the better grip texture and overall feel, or the added pinky support with magewell, or lack of half-moon cutout....but each backstrap insert feels like more of an angle change vs just making the grip longer. Feels like the backstrap inserts on the SS frame are 3 separate feels vs 3 shades of same color - if that makes sense.

- 2.4 oz lighter*

- Extended beavertail. Out of a CompTac I draw either the same. Don't have an ALS for the G19 yet, but suspect will be a hair faster with it due to that beavertail. I don't think I can grip a G19 badly enough to get a slide bite, but if hands were fatter could be added protection there too.

So far sounds like MR920 is much gooder, right? well here's where reality smacked me around the head and neck....Some of the MR920 "upgrades" really aren't. They actually make the gun worse (to me, maybe to others they make it better and I'm just an oddball)

- Slide lock - upgrade on SS frame is the the little guard shelf under it. My grip naturally doesn't interfere so it isn't an upgrade to me. however, the G19 has ambi slide release, MR920 does not. And I can hit slide release with my thumb on G19. SS I can barely - and i mean just barely - use right thumb to actuate slide release. Reality is slingshot or hit it with support hand, but it seems odd you can't [without much difficulty] hit the slide release one-handed with right thumb.

- Trigger - other than being flat face they are the same. I was expecting a sweet ass trigger. Reality is average 1/2 lb lighter (and it has lots of variation on the trigger scale) but it has a noticeably longer "creep". You take up to where there is resistance, from there the trigger press to breaking the shot is 1.5x longer on the MR920. The stock G19 trigger is superior and this "upgrade" is lacking

- Trigger reset - if you let off the MR920 trigger slowly to reset, you feel 3 separate steps - or grit - or drag - or whatever you want to call it, but release it slow and you feel it hit 3 walls on it's way to reset. The G19, just smoothly resets. Distance is same for both

- Sights. Front sight is same as my factory NS but green circle vs orange. Rear sights are blacked out. G19 has tritium dots on rear sight too. Basically it's personal preference 3-dot vs blacked rear, but you get 2 more specs of tritium on the plain Jane gun... Elite with threaded barrel does come with suppressor height sights so that's cool....

- ...but here's what isn't cool....can't mount my suppressor to the MR920!!! The guide rod contacts it and interferes. Barely - it needs about 1/16th" to clear. Thread length is .440" which is good, but the barrel OAL needs to be maybe 80-100 thou longer. Who designs that and calls it good? Most popular commercial cans with a smaller diameter booster will work, but not all, and some will depend on how they clock. An A2 FH (yeah, don't do that but for illustration) barely clears the guide rod when cycling slide so anything slightly larger in diameter at very end won't work.

- The "grippy gas pedal" for your support thumb. Sounds dumb, but I was stoked for that! Reality is, it sucks. It's flat, not at an angle. And [most likely for holster compatibility] way too narrow. My left thumb flies off it like it's a little ski jump for your thumb! It makes it worse and if the ledge/gas pedal wasn't there and it was all a flat pad of rough stippled texture, that would be MUCH better. As it is, it makes me milk my grip, but with my support hand. You know how novice shooters (or when you were learning/breaking bad habits) milk their firing hand due to bad grip? Well I find myself doing that with my support hand! Never ever has that been a problem, but this cool "upgrade" but poorly designed/executed actually does the opposite of what it should!

- And that leads to overall control. The elite - even with extended threaded barrel - is 2.4oz lighter than G19 (and that's the * above on weight). All fine & dandy, but all [ok most] of that weight is coming from lightening cuts forward of the ejection port. It's deceiving because the gun feels very well balanced in your hand and if you swap back & forth between it and G19, the G19 feels "nose-heavy". The MR920 doesn't feel "ass-heavy" it just feels balanced really well. But that lack of weight up front makes it snappy in recoil. Similar to a smallish .380 or a .40SW of similar size but more weight (think P229). So the muzzle wants to flip and your left thumb gets launched off the pad designed to help it dig in. Result is much slower transition to next target. --^-- that's what front sight does and split times will quantify just how bad it is. I don't think it's me. I have 20 or so different 9mm pistols and run any compact or larger frame size faster than the elite. it's on par with something like P365 that takes a bit longer for followups or transitions due to size. It's not as bad as a SW shield ver 1.0, but slower than stock G19, MP 2.0, P10C, VP9, P320, CZ75, P226, XDM, 92F, P229, etc etc.

- Match barrel. Yeah, it's good for tight groups. I know whatever the FS is covering that's where the round will land. Exactly. However, it's too tight and after a few hundred rounds still that way. both of them. It will sometimes fail to go into battery. Kind of like how sometimes you cerakote a gun and that eats up the clearance for the barrel hood and needs a slight chamfer to run again....these are same way. Why isn't that hand-fit at factory? You either file on it or do an excessively long break-in, or just run hotter loads maybe, but out of the box, neither was reliable. And I did try OEM Glock mags to make sure it wasn't a Pmag issue. My range loads are on the milder side @ 1,125fps 115gr, but they function in everything else with no issues. If it cleared up in a mag or 2, I'd say that's fine and just needed some break in, but 15 mags in and can still hang up not going into battery? I don't think it's a light recoil spring issue, just the fitment of the barrel to slide. Simulate a press check and you can really see & feel how it hangs up. Very infrequent, but both have done it more than once and after several mags.

- Striker spring. Not sure if this is a legit con, especially since I find nothing wrong with Sig striker fired guns (after factory recalls, upgraded versions from the beta public release ). But the G19 striker hits "with authority". The MR920 is kind of a twangy ping vs the Glock "thud". Still better than the Sig "unhh" and I got no light strikes, failure to fire from it. If I got a great trigger and that banjo string sounding striker spring was part of the reason, that would be fine. But the trigger is "meh" at best, so give me that Glock positive striker hit on the primer and no worries about sub freezing temps + heavy oil/light grease in striker channel or just an abnormally hard primer. If there were a pistol equivalent to a CCI #41 primer in cup hardness, I wouldn't think twice about G19 igniting it. MR920....I wouldn't bet on that being 100%. But again, I had no failures, this whole part is conjecture.

I like the little range bag cases the MR920's came with, the tool for changing backstraps and adding the magwell looked iffy but actually works great, the packaging was nice how they taped little baggies to lid vs random stuff just floating in box. Overall, I don't want to sound negative because they are nice guns. Just disappointing because I was expecting better performance vs a stock gen5 G19 and reality was (for me, my grip, my style of shooting) the stock G19 performs better by most measures.

Note....as I'm typing this, I'm frequently picking up all 3 to compare and remember differences and I keep going back to 2 things. (1) the MR920 is much prettier. Much prettier. They are very good looking guns, and esp compared to G19 don't have that chunky, bulky, dated look. (2) The handling and my support hand [thumb] issues don't seem like they should be. The G19 has nothing there for the thumb, yet my grip is consistent and rock solid. But I can't keep left thumb in place on the MR920. Maybe that's me unconsciously trying to dig that thumb in harder to use the gas pedal as intended or to trying to get more positive control and keep the FS from moving farther up than normal? Don't know. I'm not the guy who wonders why every new gun out of the box needs sights adjusted because every factory sets its guns to shoot low left. to you if you get that. I spent a metric fkton of time - and still do - working on draw and grip (let's not even talk about mag changes). If I ever have grip issues - and i run against a shot timer a lot to highlight deficiencies and identify where I need to improve (or something I worked on and slipped back to old habits) - I stop and fix that and do some basic drills. The stuff is perishable and age (~50) doesn't help, so I'm always working. So of everything, I think that's biggest disappointment and what keeps from running these faster than a G19. And what's really weird, just handling them and dry firing - the MR920 seems better! If you were choosing in LGS, you'd pick the MR920 for it's feel in your hands. It isn't until live firing and recoil is introduced the issues are apparent.

In all, a stock gen5 G19 with factory NS gives you ambi slide release that you can actually use with average guy hand strength, same front sight, better rear (arguably, user preference for 3 dot), better trigger (which is a huge miss for SS on that!), 3 OEM mags vs 2 Pmags (although the combat came with extra 10 Pmags for free, elite only 2), and for hundreds $ less. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get the MR918 before I got a G19 and am glad I got the G19 prior to MR920. Again, not being a "glock guy" (never owned one, was never issued one, and was always that whiny tit saying "I don't like the grip angle") I think it's a good perspective. I never disliked Glocks (had trash to talk since I preferred many other competing models, but no hate), just always preferred something else. Before finally getting a G19, I went to LGS 3 separate times with the intent to get a G19 - just because I didn't have a Glock. Left with VP9 first time, P10C 2nd time, and [gasp] TP9SFX 3rd time. Wasn't until 4th time I specifically headed out to get a Glock I actually came home with one I only babble on about that to illustrate I'm not bashing MR920 from a Glock fanboi perspective...quite the opposite and my intent was to NEVER get a Glock but get an MR918 instead. Timing, availability, good deal on a gen5 at the time they were hen's teeth, just worked out I have G19 in the mix. So I think my evaluation/comparison is very unbiased. In fact, since I dropped $1900ish on the MR920's vs $525 on the G19, you'd think I'd be rationalizing like hell on how they are superior.....like I do on my P226 Legion (but by any measure other than sights and pretty gray color it isn't superior).

If you do want an MR920 (and please don't let me dissuade you! - that's not my intent), I suggest the combat vs the elite. The combat has fewer lightening cuts so it's closer in weight, esp up front, to a G19. It doesn't have those serrations on top of slide either which is probably a plus. Those serrations are cosmetic or lightening, but not useful to even press check. If you have gorilla hand strength, you're still not going to use those serrations and you'd never use them on anything to rack one-handed like you can hooking your rear sight. Elite vs combat was tough for me since not having in front of me, hard to decide from pics, reviews, SS website. The frames are the same. Triggers are same. The only difference in elite is more slide cuts, thus ~1oz lighter, and RMR cut (or whatever - I think it accepts just about anything and I'm using RMR cut as a generic term for "ability to mount an RDS"). My elite has extended threaded barrel but that's an option on any. If using something like a Ti-Rant 9 it would work. A Dead Air Wolf, might not - looks like it would not, but don't have one to say for sure. I can say 100% for certain a 1.25" diameter direct thread won't work - not even close (unless you wanted to get stupid and shim it out).

Anyway, I shoot the combat faster than the elite. It is very close to same times as G19. The elite is where it really shows up in split times and I think that's all due to the weight removed from front of slide but not compensated for in frame or somewhere else. Take X5 Legion for example, they lightened slide a lot, but put tungsten inserts in frame, and that gun runs fast. The difference in "controlability" is obvious even without a timer - you just put that FS where it should be - your good grip just translates to the FS going form target to target or staying on the same target. I expected that from the elite and it just isn't there. It's acceptable as-is. Don't get me wrong, the gun isn't a turd. I was just expecting a little more "race gun" feel and it being slower was a big let down. I think the combat - esp with the extra 10 Pmags for 12 in total deal - is a good gun for the money ($800ish). Even vs a gen 5 G19, you get front slide serrations (mine doesn't have, newer gen 5 do have ), night sights (FS only, but factory NS is $$$ upgrade on G19), no half moon cut out, mag well, carry case/range bag. A new G19 gen 5 with front serrations and factory NS is what - $650ish? I got a killer deal on mine but no front serrations. Blue label probably more of a bargain. So for $150 more give or take, the 10 extra Pmags pretty much makes them cost the same (assuming you want 12 mags or will sell what you consider excess). So at that point when comparing stock G19 with front serrations and factory NS to the MR920 combat with 10 Pmag promo (I don't know if that's everywhere or just a KY Gun Co thing), you can about say cost is same (if you can't get blue label Glock). At that point now it comes down to user preference, does your grip benefit or fail with the gas pedal design, do you value cosmetics/cool factor over [slight] difference in split times, you cool with loooong break in or light filing to get 100% reliability, are you going to pay $80ish for a G19 mag well, etc. Even though my tone was negative overall on MR920, I could easily argue either way G19 vs MR920 combat w/ extra 10 mags. Throwing the elite into the mix is probably what jaded me since it's much less gun (functionally/performance) for much more money. I would take a TP9 SFX over an MR920 elite. Actually, for same money, I'd take 2 TP9 SFX. Or just about any Sig Legion or Elite, Walther PPQ Q5 Match, CZ Shadow, Sig P210, Ernest Langdon M9, or even a fun toy like a Scorpion or Stribog - there are plenty of other $1k-ish 9mm that make the MR920 elite a poor choice. Again, could argue the combat easily, but the elite gives nothing more than prettiness and muzzle flip for much more $. Maybe at $750ish since you're getting the RDS cut? Would be interesting to hear more opinions on them, esp the combat vs elite. My research (and research = youtube videos, forum posts, mostly paid shills or conjecture from spec sheets or handling without firing) led me to believe the MR920 was superior to the combat and vastly superior to the G19. In all honesty I haven't even read all the posts prior to this one on this thread - I read the first post and replied, so I might be repeating what others have said or hurting feelings of other owners in love with these, IDK??? But I am curious what others think.

And lastly, If I'm full of poo.....I have a private range to 300M. If you're close to NC, come show me what I'm doing wrong. That's not an arrogant call out - that's a for real invitation. If you run an MR920 very well, and you're in my area, come show me what I need to do to be better! I'm always happy to learn how to improve or see how others do something that I can incorporate into my training
    Very interesting points brought up.

I'm looking at these guns right now, as a vehicle to get into an mrds.

I'm wondering if the Elite's slide velocity would be tamed by the mounting of an mrds, and make it seem less snappy to you.. Do you have an mrds to mount on it to try?

Also, why not stipple the "gas pedal" yourself just on that slick part, it ought to be easy, of course you may want to sell the gun and not alter it. Or better yet stick a bit of 3M latter grip tape/skate board tape just on that portion to see if it helps.

And just thinking out loud here, but regarding the slide release my problem is usually pinning it with my support hand and getting failure to lock back, and I release the slide with my support side thumb anyway, so these wouldn't be issues for me..just trying to work through all the issues in my mind here! But thanks for your thoughts on this!
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678