Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low budget long range?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Low budget long range?

I am thinking about picking up a Savage 12V (26" bbl, blind mag, plastic stock) in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 4-16X Nikon scope. Rifle will be used for informal long range target and prairie dogs. Targets out to 1000 M eventually/optimistically, prairie dogs considerably less. I have a 26" CZ varmint in .223 now and would like to extend my reach a bit, especially during windy days. The wind never stops in the dog towns.

I can pick up a Nikon Black X1000 4-16 scope and a Savage 12V (26" bbl, blind mag, plastic stock) in 6.5 Creedmoor for $700 total, plus tax and shipping on the scope. I should come under $900 tops including mounts and rings. I handload, for what it's worth.

Is it reasonable to think the combination has enough capability to let me learn a bit about precision shooting, or will I be limited so quickly that it becomes false economy?

If the combination is viable, is a 6-24 Nikon Black a better choice? With Nikon getting out of the scope business, the prices are very attractive. I am planning on FFP, don't need illumination.

Thoughts?

Thank you
    Andy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would recommend looking at one of the Savage 110's in 6.5 and either a Lueopold or Vortex for a scope. The 110 comes with great after market support and since Nikon (from what I hear) is getting out of the scope game I wouldn't want to buy something that may not be supported in the future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That setup will definitely work. Though Nowski brings up a great consideration about the scope. Other than that the scope you are looking at is a nice piece of glass.

I would look into a different stock for the rifle. Something like a B&C is pretty cheap and will make the rifle much easier to shoot more consistently.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you are going to re-stock the gun I will recommend the 110 again if only since Magpul released their hunter stock for the 110 now.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Another cheaper consideration for you, the Ruger American Predator that uses AICS magazines. They seem to get great reviews for a starter precision gun and even have some aftermarket support if you decide to upgrade.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-american-...rd-22-3rd.html

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've shot with a lot of Savagites. And although the guns are always accurate enough, the awful action is the gun's downfall. If you don't need quick follow up shots, the savage is a decent shooter.

We just look at one another and chuckle when a savage guy is frantically un-f@#king a misfeed. Some people hate the triggers, but I don't mind them too much.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you for the replies, everyone.

Nowski, do you mean a rifle like the 110 Tactical Desert? https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/p...k+10%2b1+57008

Bud's price puts it about $200 more than the 12FV, but it has a detachable mag, better stock, and comes with a mounting rail.

Thanks, Vegas, I am looking for a 24-26" varmint weight barrel. I won't be carrying this rifle a lot.

Mark, what rifle would you suggest in lieu of the Savage?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-21-20 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You can go that route there are several versions of the 110. That's weird Mark I have never seen anyone have an issue with the Savage action.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The older savages had pretty inconsistent feeding but I think much of that is behind them on the newer guns. We have a Savage loving amigo that pretty much told us that. And we have witnessed in person and many a video's on you tube feeding issues.

The new guns on the block are Tika and Bergara for great guns at reasonable prices.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Get a Tikka in 6.5M with the heaviest barrel possible
    smooth action, accurate barrel

drop it into a KRG Bravo chassis
    use AICS mags

spend more on a the gun now and don't regret it with a gun you can't upgrade. Bergara makes great barrels, but in the long run the Tikka will be the best bet

still definitely budget for long range

I'm picky on glass, so use what makes you happy but I'd recommend Seekins rings for mounting the optic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast