I am thinking about picking up a Savage 12V (26" bbl, blind mag, plastic stock) in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 4-16X Nikon scope. Rifle will be used for informal long range target and prairie dogs. Targets out to 1000 M eventually/optimistically, prairie dogs considerably less. I have a 26" CZ varmint in .223 now and would like to extend my reach a bit, especially during windy days. The wind never stops in the dog towns.

I can pick up a Nikon Black X1000 4-16 scope and a Savage 12V (26" bbl, blind mag, plastic stock) in 6.5 Creedmoor for $700 total, plus tax and shipping on the scope. I should come under $900 tops including mounts and rings. I handload, for what it's worth.

Is it reasonable to think the combination has enough capability to let me learn a bit about precision shooting, or will I be limited so quickly that it becomes false economy?

If the combination is viable, is a 6-24 Nikon Black a better choice? With Nikon getting out of the scope business, the prices are very attractive. I am planning on FFP, don't need illumination.

Thoughts?

Thank you
Andy