Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a bit intimidated here...lol

Feedback Score

Feeling a bit intimidated here...lol

I've been a member here for quite a while, but the amount of knowledge everyone seems to have here is a bit intimidating so I wanted to ask a few things about my AR-15 yet not incur the wrath of those who know more than me which is quite a few....

Anyway, if anyone has any good info for me, please let me know.

I'm getting away from a forward grip I had on my Colt LE6920 SOCOM. The forward grip, I've tried several, never did feel right. The most recent grip I had had a built in tac light which was very handy. I'm now shopping around for some other type of setup and I came across a UTG Gen 2 flashlight/laser combo. It looks nice, generally good reviews but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this model, how long the pressure switch cord is for the flashlight and what's a good method for hiding the excess wire but not showing all the wire all over the place. I prefer my rifle to have a "clean" look to it so I'd hope to not have pressure switch wire all over the place. I have a Larue 10-inch rail so it's got plenty of space to run the wire between but, just being honest, I've never ran a flashlight/laser combo before.

I'm also getting a Sig Sauer Juliet 4x magnifier to go with my Eotech EXPS2-0. Has anyone ran this setup on their rifle? Here's my stupid story. I had the HHS II combo Eotech sight and G33 magnifier back in 2016 which, like a dumbass, I traded back in to Eotech when all the bad press came about the return and the lawsuit. Probably the biggest rifle related mistake I've ever made, I freely admit, it was a very nice setup. I've finally gotten the funds to get myself an Eotech EXPS2-0, which I love, I like it better than the one I had with the combo due to this one only has one dot in the middle of the ring. It's a great site, but I'm curious if I should just go back and get an Eotech G33 magnifier which is 3x or go with the Sig Juliet 4x magnifier. My eyes have gotten worse, so the 4x is attractive but not sure if it would link up with the Eotech sight as well as the G33?

Anyway, I very much appreciate any info anyone out there might have. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by ghosttwofive; 01-20-20 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We all come out sometime … er …

Anyhow, I'd suspect the general consensus is to not use a laser for non-night-vision purposes (invisible only only). I suppose it could be a foundation for training for night work, but otherwise I'd avoid it.

On the magnifier, be honest with yourself … what does your heart want? I'd guess the G33 … but you are maybe seeing the 4x as a justifier. The 1X probably shouldn't make that much dif, especially in use as intended.

You already seem to regret losing the Eotech setup once …

I don't have any personal experience with the SIG, so I am not commenting on quality, per se. Just saying don't play mind-games with yourself over it.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    Thank you sir. The Eotech G33 was my one and only thought at first, but then when I compared length, specs, etc I started considering the 4x as it is pretty close in size and weight to the G33. For continuity sake, yeah, the G33 and sight combo really was a bad ass sight as far as both tactically and aesthetically, but I do like the thought of having a bit more magnification. As far as the laser, I appreciate the info. Other than just watching videos, I've never used or had much experience with laser on handguns or rifles, I could never see the use in them, but this combo I'm purchasing has a very ergonomic look to it so I guess I might try it. Anyway, I appreciate your info sir, thanks.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    UTG is typically regarded as junk. I had some when I played paintball back in high school (2010ish) and it was junk then. I doubt they’ve come very far, so I really wouldn’t recommend that route. I like the BCM stubby grip as a VFG due to the angle. I use it kind of like the AFG/hybrid concept as opposed to a traditional vert grip like in 2002. I wouldn’t be opposed to ditching the VFG altogether, but mobility issues in my wrist and shoulder make it difficult to really pull the gun into my shoulder without it. I have various setups for lights, either activated by my thumb just above the grip or from a pressure pad on the top rail.

Can’t comment much on the optics, I liked my G33 a lot and want one again some day. But the newer Vortex micro is also tempting due to price and size. I never used the magnifier much, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I may go another route than the UTG. I had a forward grip with a tac light built in for years and it's been sturdy, but left shoulder issues are making me not want to use a forward grip these days. I had to have some major surgeries to repair my shoulder and for some reason, either the way I grip the forward grip or something makes my shoulder hurt like hell, but when I just use my left hand to grip the rifle on the rail, it doesn't hurt at all. Not sure what the deal with that is. I've heard good things about Vortex but I've never used any of their products. I've always trusted Sig Sauer equipment but it's hard to beat the Eotech G33. Mainly I'm considering the Sig due to the 4x over the 3x. My eyes suck. I previously has an Aimpont PRO on my Colt, but as the astigmatism condition has gotten worse in both eyes, the Aimpoint PRO dot looks looks like a starburst unless I remove my contacts. The Eotech sight picture is much easier on my eyes but definitely want a magnifier to go with it, I've always like the holo + magnifier set up, it seems to work better for me than a LPVO. I used a friend's rifle that had a Burris LPVO and I just couldn't get used to it. I'm much more comfortable shooing a holo sight with a magnifier. I very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by ghosttwofive; 01-20-20 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    OP,

If you are having shoulder issued using your vertical foregrip, there are solutions!

BCM Stubby Grip, BCM KAG, Magpul AFG, or really any handstop out there will aid in your desired hand placement without hurting your shoulder.

As far as UTG goes, if budget allows, please stay away from it. UTG is Chinese made for airsoft guns, how it ever made it into the firearm world I do not know.

I own an Aimpoint 3xC magnifier and an Eotech G33. The Eotech is a far superior magnifier to anything else on the market, especially some cheap Sig glass.

Lasers are fairly worthless if you are actually aiming, which you will be with your Eotech. Get a BCM KAG grip, and a Streamlight HLX/LCS kit and your grip and shoulder issues will be gone, plus you'll have a helluva setup for not alot of money. See links below, and pics of my carbines setup with what I mentioned.

KAG
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfi...version-black/

HLX/LCS
    https://clouddefensive.com/product/l...light-hlx-kit/

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for the info. So the Sig uses cheap glass? That's disappointing. If you have time, can you give me some tips on the grip you referenced? The only relief i seem to get when I use my left arm now is when I grip the rifle itself like you would hold a normal deer rifle. Any forward grip I've tried starts making my shoulder sing soprano pretty quickly, even a year post surgery which the doc said would be about as good as it's going to get, I suppose it's just the position my shoulder is at. I've never used the kind of stop your link references. So do you use that type of grip to "pull" the weapon into your shoulder more securely? Also, starting to lean toward canceling the UTG, not a lot of good reviews here. I'm on a bit of a budget but I think I can do better. I'm thinking of ditching the laser part and just getting a tac light set up. BTW, both of your rifles are bad ass. So between the Aimpont and Eotech magnifier, the Eotech wins out?
    Last edited by ghosttwofive; 01-20-20 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttwofive View Post
    Thank you so much for the info. So the Sig uses cheap glass? That's disappointing. If you have time, can you give me some tips on the grip you referenced? The only relief i seem to get when I use my left arm now is when I grip the rifle itself like you would hold a normal deer rifle. Any forward grip I've tried starts making my shoulder sing soprano pretty quickly, even a year post surgery which the doc said would be about as good as it's going to get, I suppose it's just the position my shoulder is at. I've never used the kind of stop your link references. So do you use that type of grip to "pull" the weapon into your shoulder more securely? Also, starting to lean toward canceling the UTG, not a lot of good reviews here. I'm on a bit of a budget but I think I can do better. I'm thinking of ditching the laser part and just getting a tac light set up. BTW, both of your rifles are bad ass. So between the Aimpont and Eotech magnifier, the Eotech wins out?
    I'm trying to picture what you are talking about as far as the deer rifle comparison. If you mean you are basically resting the rail in your palm, then I don't think any grip is gonna solve that. If you mean that you need to wrap your hand around the rail instead of a vertical grip, then any of the above mentioned grips will work as they simply help you pull your rifle tighter into your shoulder.

I wouldn't use UTG for anything. Save the pennies if need be, we've all had to do it too, but get the best quality you can afford. UTG aint it chief!

Sig Glass, especially the Romeo line, is not quality stuff. I've seen enough Romeo's go down to know to stay away from it. And yes, the Eotech is the better magnifier. However, if you want to save some money, the Aimpoint 3xC and Larue combo is pretty affordable for what you get:

https://www.larue.com/products/aimpo...arue-qd-mount/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttwofive View Post
    I've never used the kind of stop your link references. So do you use that type of grip to "pull" the weapon into your shoulder more securely?
    If you are most comfortable with your grip parallel to the bore, like a slick handguard, but you want something to help you pull the rifle into your shoulder, you can try a small fingerstop between your index and middle finger. Which Larue rail do you have?

I’d skip the UTG, and suggest an Arisaka Scout with one of their mounts, a Surefire tape switch and a Cloud Defensive LCS. I think Weapon Outfitters has a build-your-light tool to set this up. Also consider the Cloud Defensive OWL or Elzetta. Although, I do not recommend the Elzetta remote switch.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I changed all my forward grips out for Arisaka finger stops. I mount so index finger rests in front and thumb is in position to click a scout light. I’ve only used Mlok and Keymod so can’t say if picatinny version is as comfy. But it’s cheap enough. And if you don’t like it I’d buy it from you for my quad rail that needs one.

https://arisakadefense.com/products/...stop-picatinny
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast