Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing 300BLK with Subsonic Ammo?

Feedback Score
    Yellow powder or filler?

Would think the gun could still run dirty though.

It’s a 10” noveske and it does this suppressed or not.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwtrfwler View Post
    Yellow powder or filler?

Would think the gun could still run dirty though.

It’s a 10” noveske and it does this suppressed or not.
    Never known commercial ammo manufacturers to use filler...

And yes, its powder. Low pressure subsonic doesnt produce enough pressure to completely burn the powder. Some is worse than others. A1680 is bad, but it runs subs really well. Whatever powder S&B uses seems to do it also. Its a by-product of subs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Never known commercial ammo manufacturers to use filler...

And yes, its powder. Low pressure subsonic doesnt produce enough pressure to completely burn the powder. Some is worse than others. A1680 is bad, but it runs subs really well. Whatever powder S&B uses seems to do it also. Its a by-product of subs.
    So what could I do to make it run with this stuff? Lighter buffer? Currently have an H-1 in there.
    Gun should run dirty like this correct? It’s not a build. Factory Noveske lower paired with factory Noveske upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    change ammo...

Its not the gun...

Nothing you can do to the gun to make it NOT run dirty... Thats the nature of SOME subsonic ammo... You take subsonic ammo that doesnt burn all the powder(nature of subsonic ammo), put it in a gun with can that produces backpressure, and you end up with a gun that gets filled up with unburned powder... Some are worse than others. You have stumbled on one on the worse end of the spectrum possibly.

If you ran my ammo, it would leave little specs of black ball A1680 powder in the gun... I simply deal with it because the gun runs great. Just need to hose it out with brake cleaner, scrub it a bit, and re-oil it regularly.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The load I’m using is not the same as yours, but a 50 yard zero works ok for me.
    4D674555-76B3-40D4-AD43-BDB576883D00.jpg

It’s a 190 grain BTHP over 9.5 grains of IMR 4227 with a CCI450 primer. It’s not super clean, but the residue it leaves is a fine carbon, which I like better than chunks of unburned powder.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 02-16-20 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    change ammo...

Its not the gun...
    any factory loadings you would recommend as I don't reload….maybe I should start!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    any factory loadings you would recommend as I don't reload….maybe I should start!
    How many rounds? Do you clean the gun in between outings?

I shoot the hell out of S&B 200s, I get the residue but it has never caused my gun to fail.

Feedback Score
    Clean it after each outing. Yesterday I couldn’t get 2 mags through it without it jamming up.

Then I took the can off, same issue. Then after some clearing drills, dropping mag, ejecting stuck round, insert mag, I was able to get off half a mag. Then next mag it happened again.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Does this happen with other subsonic ammo or just S&B?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont shoot factory, but any subsonic, as far as I know, is going to have this to some degree. It just doesnt produce enough pressure to burn completely. And if you use a faster powder for subs, it may not make enough gas to cycle the gun. Its a balancing act.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast