Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noveske quality post ‘13

Feedback Score

Noveske quality post ‘13

I regularly hear around here Noveske’s have lost quality since John passed away and my question is, in what way? Can someone give me personal or first hand information on what isn’t as good anymore or where they’re using cheaper parts? I’m not accusing anyone of anything but many here have a dog in the fight and it sounds like baseless accusations.

My opinion is Noveske is really known for a proprietary chamber and a well spec’d (over gassed) chrome lined barrel. Their stainless barrel also a proprietary chamber and 1/7.7 twist (now everyone has a 1/8 twist) polygonal rifled barrel which in my opinion will take more abuse and stay accurate longer than most other stainless barrel designs. While non of this is new to anyone here, everyone here at the time drank the koolaid! Reminds me of Pliney the Elder, one of the first beers to do a DIPA really well but now many have caught up and some have surpassed. Same with Noveske, at this point I’m sure you can get an equal or slightly better rifle for the same money or less but you’re still spending real coin to do it.

I’m sure many had respect for or had a personal relationship with John and since his passing many things have changed at the shop. I don’t know personally but I can guess that there have been some personnel changes and some slips in QC but overall are they building an inferior product than before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    I regularly hear around here Noveske’s have lost quality since John passed away and my question is, in what way? Can someone give me personal or first hand information on what isn’t as good anymore or where they’re using cheaper parts? I’m not accusing anyone of anything but many here have a dog in the fight and it sounds like baseless accusations.

My opinion is Noveske is really known for a proprietary chamber and a well spec’d (over gassed) chrome lined barrel. Their stainless barrel also a proprietary chamber and 1/7.7 twist (now everyone has a 1/8 twist) polygonal rifled barrel which in my opinion will take more abuse and stay accurate longer than most other stainless barrel designs. While non of this is new to anyone here, everyone here at the time drank the koolaid! Reminds me of Pliney the Elder, one of the first beers to do a DIPA really well but now many have caught up and some have surpassed. Same with Noveske, at this point I’m sure you can get an equal or slightly better rifle for the same money or less but you’re still spending real coin to do it.

I’m sure many had respect for or had a personal relationship with John and since his passing many things have changed at the shop. I don’t know personally but I can guess that there have been some personnel changes and some slips in QC but overall are they building an inferior product than before?

Definitely not inferior, BUT the industry has caught up to them and many are doing the exact same thing, if not better. 1/7 seems to be the industry standard for quality manufacturers as well.

My SBR lower is Noveske, and my upper will be too. Hopefully someone answers your questions properly.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I’ve wondered about this myself. I think it ultimately comes down to other manufacturers turning out comparable products at a lower price.
    Mr. Noveske was a genius; a trailblazer. His fingerprints are all over the modern black rifle.
    EE and GB ads that reference “pre-2013” and “before John’s death” are macabre

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have a recent manufacture 12.5” Crusader barrel that’s a laser beam. I don’t believe the hype that they are not the same.

But - I also don’t think they are worth the $2400~ they command. And this is not coming from a cheap penny pincher.

I can buy a BCM, literally throw it away, buy another BCM, and still be several hundred dollars ahead. Noveske’s cost to value ratio is more ****ed up than DD’s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    I’ve wondered about this myself. I think it ultimately comes down to other manufacturers turning out comparable products at a lower price.
    They factually are not the same products today which they were when John was alive.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    They factually are not the same products today which they were when John was alive.
    What is different now?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score

Noveske quality post ‘13

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I know you’re an industry insider and you have a financial interest but do you also have an NDA or gentleman’s agreement to not discuss further? I also like hi end audio and unfortunately there’s still mountains of more BS in that industry than firearms but some still remains. Not accusing you of peddling said BS but are you legally allowed to uncover some BS with current Noveske? If quality and craftsmanship has declined, by how much?

I’m not a big fan of, “some guy on the internet said they suck so it must be true”...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Back then the juice was worth the squeeze - at the time the 14.5 middie with an adjustable gas block wasn't available from any other mainstream players and the whole "carbine gas for 16 inch or less, middie doesn't work well on those" was the party line, which he proved wrong. Now people are doing 12.5" mids and mid on 14/16 is accepted as good to go.

But the industry has caught up with a lot of what Noveske was doing and after his death the innovative thinking / design was gone from the company.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    The older stuff seemed to be better IMO, fit and finish and QC were top notch. The last couple Gen 1 uppers I bought had dust covers that were kind of loose/wobbly when they were closed. I even switched one out for a Colt dust cover/pin/spring, and it was still loose when closed. I plan to eventually swap these uppers out for BCM, or Zev.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-22-20 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    The old switchblock barrels, and for the most part even current production, are my favorite barrels for suppressed SBRs, problem being finding a rail to work with them. Beyond that, Noveske R&D is stuck in the past. Their quality remains high, but there is nothing at Noveske worth what they charge anymore unless you just love the brand

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast