Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate buffer tube question

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For non-A5 setups, I like LMT REs. I left my Colt 6920 alone with the OEM Colt RE, but pretty much every other serious rifle has a BCM A5 or an LMT standard length.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you are going to the trouble of replacing the tube anyway and don’t mind spending a few more dollars, I would encourage moving over to the VLTOR A5 system.

VLTOR has “Vulcan” (blemished) A5 tubes for a couple dollars savings, and then you can get an A5H2 buffer and standard rifle from somewhere. BCM and SOLGW have complete kits, though if not on sale, pricing it together can save a few bucks.
    Or, the Magpul A5 receiver extension has some extra adjustment positions, so you would truly get the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I figured that would come up. The Vltor A5 is universally considered superior. Here's the problem: It's very difficult to find the stuff in stock where you can buy it, anywhere. The best starting point for a 6920 is probably an A5 tube with either a Vltor brand spring or a green Sprinco rifle spring plus an A5H2 buffer, but, those buffers aren't in stock anywhere. (midway USA does have a complete set that includes an A5H2 but it includes a new stock, the emod, and therefore runs $193...if you want to just rip the bandaid off right now go ahead and order that lol)

Otherwise just get the tube only and swap it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I can't think of a scenario where I would change out a 4 position RE and not go with an A5.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I can't think of a scenario where I would change out a 4 position RE and not go with an A5.
    Would you mind linking to the A5 buffer, in stock, available, right now, you'd put in an otherwise stock 6920 as part of the A5 changeover?

It's all just theory unless the parts are available. To do the A5 right now you'd have to spend $193 at Midway for the A5 EMOD kit, or $45 for the tube, $20 for a spring, and ~$45 for a really heavy A5H4 buffer that's generally recommended for suppressed SBR's and probably isn't the right 'fit' for a stock 6920...or $30 for a 6 position mil-spec RE that uses everything else you already have

Availability can hinder the best of plans. So can a price tag that's $140+ vs $30

OP: I literally replaced a 6920 4 position RE with a 6 position BCM tube yesterday lol. As it happens the 6 position tube was a hand-me-down because I just replaced it with an A5 system...but that's a suppressed SBR running the really heavy A5H4 so in full disclosure I got to have my cake and eat it too since I wanted the really heavy buffer that is actually available right now and I got to upgrade my Colt's RE without buying one for it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warp; 01-21-20 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    Magpul has a quality made “mil-spec” buffer tube/receiver extension that is standard lenght but has 7 positions for even more adjustability. I have the A5 lenght which is 10 position and it’s of good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I was going to suggest. Made of 7075-T6. Unfortunately they, as well as their A5 compatible enhanced buffer tube are hard to find in stock. Good solid tube.

IMO the extra holes (7 and 10) give a needed layer of adjustabilty.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    You can get the A5 kit minus the buffer tube at Optics Planet for about $60. AR10/AR308 buffer tube can be had for $20 and readily available. No need to spend $190.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 01-21-20 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Would you mind linking to the A5 buffer, in stock, available, right now, you'd put in an otherwise stock 6920 as part of the A5 changeover?

It's all just theory unless the parts are available. To do the A5 right now you'd have to spend $193 at Midway for the A5 EMOD kit, or $45 for the tube, $20 for a spring, and ~$45 for a really heavy A5H4 buffer that's generally recommended for suppressed SBR's and probably isn't the right 'fit' for a stock 6920...or $30 for a 6 position mil-spec RE that uses everything else you already have

Availability can hinder the best of plans. So can a price tag that's $140+ vs $30
    The Magpul® Enhanced Receiver Extension – SR25/M110 (A5 compatible) is in stock on their site for 59.95

https://magpul.com/magpulenhancedmil...obal_color=118

As far as buffers - MidwayUSA has A5H2's in stock for $40.46 shipping tomorrow: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100340914

opticsplanet allegedly has A5H 0 through 5 shipping within 7 to 14 days. If you trust them: https://www.opticsplanet.com/vltor-a...ty-buffer.html

BCM has A5H0: https://bravocompanyusa.com/vltor-a5-buffer/

The A5H2 probably would work for most, so we are at 92.00 absent shipping and the spring. Rifle springs aren't hard to source, it will run without a Springco (Gasp! The blasphemy! ).

If he needs a heavier buffer it is easy enough to build one IF you order tungsten weights, these are what I use: https://pur-tungsten.com/product/tun...uffer-weights/

Going to eat with F-in-L will post a layout of A5 buffer weights later.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh shit when did that A5H2 come back in stock? They weren't there like two days ago, or three days ago, or a week ago, lol

Crap I'm going to have to make my third Midway order in like a week's time. I literally just received a Midway order today with an A5 tube but there was no A5H2 available anywhere when I ordered it last week. That's the Achilles heel of going A5. You gotta be patient and/or happen to hit when stuff can actually be purchased

I trust optics planet for stuff that's in stock, but their estimates are...estimates.

Of course, this all still means spending ~$100+spring as opposed to spending $30 so there's that
    Last edited by Warp; 01-21-20 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    I didn't know Magpul made a 7 position buffer tube. I'm not finding it on a google search sir. Do you have a link?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast