Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternate buffer tube question

Feedback Score
    I feel like an idiot for asking, but what does the "A5" designation signify?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttwofive View Post
    I feel like an idiot for asking, but what does the "A5" designation signify?
    I think it simply signifies Vltor's system that puts a rifle length spring into an 'intermediate' tube on a carbine action. You need to use a A5 (or A5 compatible, such as the Magpul UBR Gen 2, or the BCM intermediate) tube and an A5 buffer together with a rifle spring. There may be more history to the nomenclature but, well, I don't care about that I just care to buy parts that work with each other
    Last edited by Warp; 01-21-20 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn't know Magpul made a 7 position buffer tube. I'm not finding it on a google search sir. Do you have a link?
    7 position standard tube:
    https://magpul.com/magpulenhancedmil...n-ar15-m4.html

10 position A5:
    https://magpul.com/magpulenhancedmil...obal_color=118

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    SOLGW or Sionics. Both reasonably priced and just see good as Colt.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the info. I agree, I just don't want to buy a buffer tube that won't work with my Colt. So far the BCM or Daniel Defense 6-position models are both looking like likely candidates. I haven't found the 7 position Magpul version the other member posted about but I've always had good luck with Magpul products.

Feedback Score
    Thank you sir.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Would you mind linking to the A5 buffer, in stock, available, right now, you'd put in an otherwise stock 6920 as part of the A5 changeover?

It's all just theory unless the parts are available. To do the A5 right now you'd have to spend $193 at Midway for the A5 EMOD kit, or $45 for the tube, $20 for a spring, and ~$45 for a really heavy A5H4 buffer that's generally recommended for suppressed SBR's and probably isn't the right 'fit' for a stock 6920...or $30 for a 6 position mil-spec RE that uses everything else you already have

Availability can hinder the best of plans. So can a price tag that's $140+ vs $30

OP: I literally replaced a 6920 4 position RE with a 6 position BCM tube yesterday lol. As it happens the 6 position tube was a hand-me-down because I just replaced it with an A5 system...but that's a suppressed SBR running the really heavy A5H4 so in full disclosure I got to have my cake and eat it too since I wanted the really heavy buffer that is actually available right now and I got to upgrade my Colt's RE without buying one for it
    I'd go the other way and get a A5H1 currently available at SOLGW or be patient and wait for A5H2 or 3, which I personally have multiple spares on hand.
    https://sonsoflibertygw.com/a5h1-4-56oz-a5-buffer/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This is what I was going to suggest. Made of 7075-T6. Unfortunately they, as well as their A5 compatible enhanced buffer tube are hard to find in stock. Good solid tube.

IMO the extra holes (7 and 10) give a needed layer of adjustabilty.
    Magpul current has their 10 position A5 RE in stock, I just bought two myself last month. I have using the BCM version as they have been fairly consistent in stock, my buddy just pick up two Vltors from PA during one of their 12% off sales so he scored pretty good.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I think it simply signifies Vltor's system that puts a rifle length spring into an 'intermediate' tube on a carbine action. You need to use a A5 (or A5 compatible, such as the Magpul UBR Gen 2, or the BCM intermediate) tube and an A5 buffer together with a rifle spring. There may be more history to the nomenclature but, well, I don't care about that I just care to buy parts that work with each other
    Thank you for the info. I agree, I just don't want to buy a buffer tube that won't work with my Colt. So far the BCM or Daniel Defense 6-position models are both looking like likely candidates. I haven't found the 7 position Magpul version the other member posted about but I've always had good luck with Magpul products.
    That is exactly what the A5 system is and it is 100% compatible with a Colt 6920.

Here's some past threads on the subject....

BCM A5 Kit

The VLTOR A5 thread what doesn't it work with

Thinking of trying Vltor A5.......what spring

BCM 14.5 middy with VLTOR A5 system. Suggestions?

Vltor A5 Buffers , H0-H1-H2-H3-H4

If you want to stay carbine system than consider SIONICS.
    http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...3-carrier.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is not currently in stock at MagPul. In my experience both the 7 position and the 10 position are in stock as often as Umbrella Corporation lowers are on their site. Meaning hardily ever.

When I saw the 10 position in stock I nearly bought another one, but I've already spent February's gun money on ammo.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast