Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Alternate buffer tube question

Feedback Score
    They’re easy to change, but you do need a specific wrench. It’s up to you if you’d rather buy the wrench or have someone change it for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ghosttwofive, If I had your SOCOM, my first choice would be the Colt, even though it cost more. That's how I roll!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854016110

2nd Choice would be LMT

https://blackphasetactical.com/produ...extension-tube

After that, take your pick. BCM, DD, Sionics, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The SIONICS is the only REASONABLY priced one I've found that is 7075-T6 and states:

Coating: Type III, Class 2 Hard Coat Anodized. Dry Film Lube applied inside

LMT does state: black anodize finish with dry film lubricant to enhance performance but is easily $10.00 more.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I hear ya, I can fk up a bowl of soup when cooking and have about the same luck working on rifles. I can field strip mine no problem at all and clean it like no one's business but something like this, I'm bound to lose a spring or a detent or something vital to the procedure...lol I have a Daniel Defense stock so I'm wondering if the DD buffer tube might match up well with it but I'm also leaning toward the Colt or LMT just to have the same type of tube pretty much exactly.

Feedback Score
    Yep and I do not have a castle nut wrench as of yet. Guess I'll need to add that to the list of items.

Feedback Score
    The staking part worries me. Is it absolutely necessary to stake the castle nut and, I'm assuming the one I'll be removing is staked also most likely....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttwofive View Post
    The staking part worries me. Is it absolutely necessary to stake the castle nut and, I'm assuming the one I'll be removing is staked also most likely....

Yes, stake it.

No, it's not hard at all.

On a Colt the one you're removing should be staked but using the correct wrench it doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The staking doesn't make it difficult to remove at all. Locktite DOES.

When you stake the end plate, you really need to support the inside of the tube to keep from smashing the end plate. It won't affect function, but makes it a bitch to get off next time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttwofive View Post
    Don't worry about staking, it is easy peasy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq20jkpKIH4

The reason you want to stake it down is that the parts involved - the buffer tube/receiver extension; the castle nut; and the receiver end plate - are not matched tolerance wise. What I mean is that there is probably some play between the tang on the receiver end plate and the locating groove on the bottom of the receiver extension. Likewise there is probably some degree of slop in the fit of the receiver endplate's 'dimpled' section and the corresponded hollow on the back of the receiver. The movement allowed by these tolerances could allow the castle nut to loosen.

If the castle nut is properly torqued to between 35 to 40 foot pounds and the carbine is not subjected to rough handling that torques the stock, and therefore the receiver extension, from side-to-side, the castle nut is likely to stay in place with just the proper torque.

Military and duty weapons, however, should be assembled with the expectation of rough handling, thus the use of staking to ensure that the castle nut doesn't loosen.

If you absolutely don't want to stake the castle nut, and alternative is to use blue loctite - sparingly.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-23-20 at 20:44.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Ugh.....starting to think I need to go ahead and have the install done..lol. I don't want to gum this up...lol.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast