Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Gov’t firing pin problem

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    The slight timing issue that chews up the firing pin and plunger isn't too uncommon.
    Yep. I've had this happen when I did some "home" gunsmithing work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    The slight timing issue that chews up the firing pin and plunger isn't too uncommon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You can replace the Series 80 junk with 70 Series and a TJ's shim:

Attachment 60518
    I like this idea. What all would I need? Just that shim to replace the plunger lever? And leave the trigger bar lever and plunger in place to keep the extractor in place? Or get a 70 series extractor and leave the plunger out? But then what about the firing pin stop?
    Last edited by matemike; 01-22-20 at 14:53.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    and you'll see it on factory Colt S80's too.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I like this idea. What all would I need? Just that shim to replace the plunger lever? And leave the trigger bar lever and plunger in place to keep the extractor in place? Or get a 70 series extractor and leave the plunger out? But then what about the firing pin stop?
    You can remove the Firing pin Plunger and spring from the slide, put them in a plastic bag and keep that with the manual. Then it will be just like a Series 70.

You can leave the levers in the frame or remove them. If you elect to remove the levers, you will need the shim to occupy the space in the frame originally used by the levers.

The plunger is not there to keep the extractor in the slide, the Firing Pin Stop does that job. (actually the extractor keeps the plunger in the slide).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Gotcha. So just remove the plunger and spring; the shim is needed in order to remove the levers. I’d like to do that much since I’ve gathered that the plunger lever could lift into the vacant plunger hole causing a slide movement issue.
    Thanks. Clearing it up more and more.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I suppose the firing pin safety system does exactly what it's supposed to -- keep Colt liability lawyers under-employed.

People all over the world must be dropping their 1911s directly on to the muzzle from 10 feet up. Certainly all the horsemen armed with government models who ride on pavement. Surely everyone knows of failed 1911 drops.

Otherwise there are at least seven unique Series 80 parts that must all work in harmony to give you the same peace of mind and smooth trigger as the legacy lockworks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12