Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40 MOA base SA base, who makes them ?

Feedback Score
    I think the recoil lug is added insurance.

Most of the gripping likely comes from friction between the base and receiver, especially if it is bedded.

But, the heavier the scope, and the heavier the recoil, the more a recoil lug is the sensible way to go.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Without that lug (or one that fits into a clipslot like the old Marine mounts) 6-48 screw heads can shear off right at the tops of the threaded shafts where they enter the top of the receiver (especially with heavier scopes and recoil) -- one of the reasons the military shops upgraded to 8-40 pitch.

EGWs don't have the recoil abutment. Nightforce, Near, Murphy, Seekins, and Badger do.

EGW:

This is a Badger Marine base. It butts against the inside-front of the ejection port and the rear lug fits in the receiver stripper-clip slot:

Huh. Nightforce makes a 40 MOA base now as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Well ****, I’m not using a base without a lug. Now that I know. But I’m having trouble finding SA 40moa WITH 8X40 screws. It’s the screws that are killing me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008998077?pid=286928

You may need to open up the screw holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I should have just done this from start. And have my riflesmith open it up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Maybe not critical for 6.5 but I like peace of mind as well. I just wish it were easier to buy. I called Murphy precision to custom make one and they don’t have anchor either. Bigger PITA please.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Well ****... I’m having trouble finding ... WITH 8X40 screws. It’s the screws that are killing me.

PB
    Brownells carries them -- straight blade, Allen, or Torx heads.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Brownells carries them -- straight blade, Allen, or Torx heads.

Sinister, it’s finding the base that takes 8X40 screws. NF makes one as Illsc pointed out. But I’d have to drill it out. Not finding the screws, but thank you for trying to help. I’m so fed up I may just slap the EDG on and press on. If it was a 300WM, I would insist on the extra security.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    NF makes one as Illsc pointed out. But I’d have to drill it out.
    If it's just a matter of opening up the holes to allow for the wider screws, I can do that, no problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If it's just a matter of opening up the holes to allow for the wider screws, I can do that, no problem.
    Cool, I just bought one. NF it is. I found some with 8X40 screws on Brownells. Like out of nowhere it showed in inventory.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-25-20 at 17:31.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123