Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brass to face.... with HK USP? *With pics*

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Brass to face.... with HK USP? *With pics*

I just finished my mid-90s pistol buying spree and I’m happy with al of them except my USP.

It shoots a bit left which I can fix by drifting the sights but it also has a serious brass to face issue. Probably one round per magazine hits me right in the eyes (I don’t wear glasses because I am young and invincible). I don’t know when this particular mode was made but the issue is annoying.

Is this common? Any fixes?

Also: $40 a magazine? Nice!
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-24-20 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have 2 USP (40 and 45) variants and have not experienced BTF issues in either of them. I had 2 other USP9s, which I have traded, and neither of them did it either.

Wish I knew what to tell you for a fix, need some more info. Is this a new or used gun?
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 01-22-20 at 19:19.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Must be a gen4

I would take it apart, clean the extractor, maybe replace the spring (assuming they have one), and inspect the ejector to make sure its not chipped or bent.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I would take it apart, clean the extractor, maybe replace the spring (assuming they have one), and inspect the ejector to make sure its not chipped or bent.
    USP's have extractor springs. Would be the first thing I replace. Replace the extractor spring plug as well. Also the extractor and extractor roll pin. Should be around $40 for parts. It could be the extractor and area of slide it sits in have buildup. I'd replace regardless just for PM. Pop out both roll pins in top of slide(for extractor and firing pin/firing pin disconnect--would replace this roll pin as well--), clean slide and reassemble with new parts. Just for PM and to be sure it isn't part of problem, would replace recoil rod buffer spring. Wolff 12# and 14# would be GTG. 14# may give a little more recoil. Remove slide and then recoil rod. Use small screwdriver to pry off c clip on recoil rod. Old spring will come off then. Easier to put back on.

Love me some USP's. Have a Tactical .45 and a Compact .45. Tactical is bedside gun b/c DA and cock and lock. Good when we have two little ones around. Have put prob. 10K rds. through in mainly training classes. Bullet proof and reliable. Not a single malf. Have had slide go forward on own when doing reload(when slamming mag in during El Pres.) Just rolled with it and may have decreased time ever so slightly. Hasn't ever happened since and don't consider it an issue. Actually wouldn't mind if it happened consistently.
    Last edited by 6933; 01-22-20 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I just finished my mid-90s pistol buying spree and I’m happy with al of them except my USP.

It shoots a bit left which I can fix by drifting the sights but it also has a serious brass to face issue. Probably one round per magazine hits me right in the eyes (I don’t wear glasses because I am young and invincible). I don’t know when this particular mode was made but the issue is annoying.

Ahhh....Glock fanboy satire. Let's play.

Well, I think you are limp-wristing it because everyone knows HK Perfection. If not, just get an Apex extractor on your own dime, that should fix it, never mind that HK won't acknowledge that the problem exists; so it doesn't and it must be you. Also, it's not the cheap plastic sights that come with it that's the problem, you are not squeezing the trigger correctly which cause you to shoot left.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-23-20 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post

Well, I think you are limp-wristing it because everyone knows HK Perfection. If not, just get an Apex extractor on your own dime, that should fix it, never mind that HK won't acknowledge that the problem exists. So it must not and it must be you. Also, it's not the cheap plastic sights that come with it that's the problem, you are not squeezing the trigger correctly which cause you to shoot left.
    God job. Don't baby him.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had Two USP compacts and neither one has given me brass to face...I agree with changing some parts to try and rectify the issue...Is there a bunch crud making it stick at the extractor?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post

Well, I think you are limp-wristing it because everyone knows HK Perfection. If not, just get an Apex extractor on your own dime, that should fix it, never mind that HK won't acknowledge that the problem exists. So it must not and it must be you. Also, it's not the cheap plastic sights that come with it that's the problem, you are not squeezing the trigger correctly which cause you to shoot left.
    Im so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    USP's have extractor springs. Would be the first thing I replace. Replace the extractor spring plug as well. Also the extractor and extractor roll pin. Should be around $40 for parts. It could be the extractor and area of slide it sits in have buildup. I'd replace regardless just for PM. Pop out both roll pins in top of slide(for extractor and firing pin/firing pin disconnect--would replace this roll pin as well--), clean slide and reassemble with new parts. Just for PM and to be sure it isn't part of problem, would replace recoil rod buffer spring. Wolff 12# and 14# would be GTG. 14# may give a little more recoil. Remove slide and then recoil rod. Use small screwdriver to pry off c clip on recoil rod. Old spring will come off then. Easier to put back on.

Love me some USP's. Have a Tactical .45 and a Compact .45. Tactical is bedside gun b/c DA and cock and lock. Good when we have two little ones around. Have put prob. 10K rds. through in mainly training classes. Bullet proof and reliable. Not a single malf. Have had slide go forward on own when doing reload(when slamming mag in during El Pres.) Just rolled with it and may have decreased time ever so slightly. Hasn't ever happened since and don't consider it an issue. Actually wouldn't mind if it happened consistently.
    So, I have never had an HK anything before. It actually took me getting on YouTube just to figure out how to get the slide off. I’d like to do everything you mentioned but:

I’m unsure where to get legitimate HK parts (it is a full size USP 9mm)

I’m unsure exactly what parts you are talking about.

I have no idea how to install them (see second sentence.) although I do see the roll pins in the slide.

This pistol, I’m guessing, is from the mid/late 90s. No idea of round count.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hkparts.net is the best place to start. Can you post pics of your ejector? That is where I would start.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Call HK USA and see what they recommend. I've found them to be very helpful.
    If the round count is unknown it might be best to send it to them for inspection. There were updates to some of the fire control group that came about later so it may need those updates. And they'll go thru the gun to see what needs to be replaced on top of that.
    Additionally, the parts are always cheaper thru HK USA than anywhere else.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 01-22-20 at 20:17.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast