Thread: 7,62 tokarev self defense loads ?

Feedback Score

7,62 tokarev self defense loads ?

I recently got a Tokarev pistol for target/fun Shooting and so far I like it. It is a neat litte pistol that shoots really well with FMJ rounds.

I am fully aware that little 7,62 round is normaly not considered a decent self defense caliber and that are better rounds out there. Point taken I am going to argue about it.

But for now the Tokarev is the only pistol I have. Going to get another 223 rem rifle again. Had to sell my old old one years ago.

As far as I know there are some 7,62 tokarev soft Point or JHP rounds available. Do you guys have any experience with them? Are they likely to expand or Fragment when hitting something, or woud they act like plain FMJ bullets and it would be a waste of Money to get them?

I know this not a very common round for tactical applications these days, and so the possibilty that lots of People know about that is rather slim.

But Maybe I am lucky and somebody knows something.

And please no replies like get another gun with a bigger caliber.I am fully aware of the lmitations of the small 7,62mm.

I am only curious if Looking for expanding type bullet would increase the effectiveness of this small round or not..

thanks for the help in Advance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    EDIT: I just realized you're in Austria. Some of what I said towards the end may or may not be a viable option for you. However, I'm not going to edit my post in hopes you get the general idea of what I mean

7.62 Tok was one of my first handguns way back in 01. It is a cool little historic caliber but that's where it should stay.....in the pages of history.

The caliber itself isn't bad. FMJ has energy somewhere between 40 S&W and 357sig. So it's certainly not lacking, and you don't need a "bigger caliber", however.......

There isn't any really good self defense ammo in that caliber. Yes PPU makes some, as seen in the video, as well as Wolf Gold, if you can find any, and a few other Russian ammo manufacturers. Problem with all of them is they're inconsistent. PPU probably has the best reputation but even their self defense loads are inconsistent. Sometimes they don't open and sail through like fmj. Sometimes they partially open, sometimes fragment. Russian commercial ammo can have the same issues along with inconsistent pressures. I've seen their 9mm barely make it out the barrel and 380s clocking in at 9mm +p+ velocities. A few years ago on a different forum there was a debate about PPU published velocities vs actual velocity until someone did a little digging and turned out that PPU was using 10 inch test barrels for published velocities.

I know you don't want to hear it but the guns are also a problem. Design is at least 68 years old if you have a CZ. 87 years old for a TT33. And while they were made at different times by different countries what they all have in common is the use of surplus parts. Even the new Yugo Tokarevs. New gun may have a mix of new and surplus parts. How old and how used those parts are is anyone's guess. If you take enough of them apart you'll begin to see none matching electro-penciled serial numbers. Sometimes partially scrubbed. I had one of the Polish M48 Toks that came in around 2000. These were made in the 50s and unissued. First time loading it I could only extract by firing it. Couldn't manually extract a live round without complete disassembly.....very dangerous! Later I had parts breakages from casual shooting.

This doesn't even touch on their manual of arms. Never designed to be carried loaded. The half cock isn't all that strong depending on the wear of the pistol and the new 1911 style safety is an afterthought for importation. Again, it's function will depend entirely on how used the interacting parts are, and how careful they were made that day at the factory (read Quality Control).

If you like the gun and want to have as a collection but don't have the funds to buy a modern one I urge you to go and put a modern gun on layaway. If that's not an option or you for whatever reason can't then I strongly urge you to trade this in towards a modern gun. Doesn't have to be brand new. Many modern used guns run under $500. Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, Shields...etc... A brand new S&W Shield is around $300 with sales they're $199. Used they're about $200. You get a modern, safe, gun in a caliber with plenty of excellent self defense loads, holding the same amount of ammo as the Tok, sometimes more, that's also easier to conceal if you carry.
    Last edited by Arik; 01-23-20 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    @Arik Thanks for your answer. To be frank I consider the Tokarev mainly as a collectors item and target/fun Shooting gun. I never had the Intention to use it as main Home defense gun. I just wanted to check out my options if it would be possible to use it as such until I get a modern gun that recently made.

I am fully aware of the dangers that such old gun could present.

Eventually my main defense gun is going to be my 223 ar or I am also interested in getting a modern 9mm. Either a glock 17 or a USP from H&K. The 9mm options for self defense are not as vast in Austria as there are in the states but the ammo options are quite good notheless.

Like fiocchi Emb, some controllex Expansion rounds from geco, magtech bonded jhp and some plain 115 grain jhp from federal and remington.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sure it's possible! Anything capable of sending a chunk of lead at high velocity can work. Just that there are better options. Since you're not carrying it, having a loaded or unloaded chamber isn't as big a deal although ideally you'd want it chambered.

If the data is correct on the modern 7.62Tok ammo it's similar to modern 9mm 115gr +p+. About 1400fps @ about 500ft-lbs of energy. Assuming good quality ammo. Military surplus fmj can be hotter depending on country of origin and whatever their standards were. But then you're just poking holes. Some of it is capable of defeating soft body armor.

So, going by the numbers it is a very capable round just the overall package is lacking

Feedback Score
    Back when i was younger. I used 762x25 out of a CZ52 to shoot a deer. I used a drill bit and made a poor mans HP round. It worked very very good. Wished i had a cell phone back them to photo the wound. Made some decent damage to the lungs. That round is still my personal fav, just wished they made more guns chambered in it. Like a glock or something.

Anyways, that might work for you, tho i would just use FMJ's. Incase you have to explain to a jury why you altered ammo.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure this is what i used.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1574610B