Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Update My Gun

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstrap View Post
    I'll echo the sentiment that it's fine as-is. Instead, how many ARs do you have? If just the one, I'd take the opportunity to buy new in the set-up of your choosing, make it your primary, and save this one as a proven back-up.
    I currently have 4 ARs. I have this one, a 20” in an A2 configuration, a 10.5” SBR, and a 7.5” SBR in 300.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn’t see a light on that rifle. Any consideration to what type you would like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_d_33 View Post
    I didn’t see a light on that rifle. Any consideration to what type you would like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Both of my SBRs have lights. Wasn’t sure if I needed one on this rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I would get a pile of ammo and shoot the rifle until whatever needs to be changed becomes evident. The exception would be the muzzle device. I'd change that for an A2 birdcage or BRT Covert Comp simply because I cant stand brakes. If you want a handstop, one can be added to the handguard you got with a little ingenuity.
    All of this. Stocks and grips are a personal thing, work that our for yourself. If nothing becomes evident that you need to change through use, then probably nothing needs changing.

However... if you just want to stimulate the firearm accessory industry Centurion Arms just released MLOK C4 handguards. And I won't steer you away from Primary Arms for a value oriented optic. The new FFP SLX 1-8X RAPTOR is gonna be worth the money over the 1-6x only a 1oz penalty too. But yeah, get rid of that brake. Everyone hates you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Will do. I’ve got an A2 hider someone in my parts box.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    Hey guys, I built this gun quite a few years ago and I’m thinking it might be a little outdated in terms of overall setup. I wanted to get some thoughts on how I could freshen this gun up and bring it more current.

I think those are the main areas of the gun I wanted to change. Lower, trigger, upper, BCG, and barrel are all still good to go. Let me know what you all suggest. Thanks!
    OP - notice how reading comprehension isn't a requirement for this forum.

Seriously, these are some questions I have:

What kind of shooting do you do with this rifle, is it usually prone, or off a bench of some sort? The reason I ask is because for me anyways, I prefer a more vertical grip on the rifles I shoot standing, kneeling, and from barricades. Those rifles all have B5 Type 23 grips on them. Otherwise I use standardish angle grips.

Likewise with the stock it is pretty much the type of shooting you do, the way you mount the rifle, and your build. The ACS stock on your rifle has wide 'shoulders, and if that is the style you want, you could go with the Magpul MOE SL which is more sleek and would save you 4.5 oz of weight:

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

The MOE SL also has QD attachment points for slings, which may or may not be an enhancement in your eyes. The butt pad configuration, particularly the rolled/angled toe also suits me well.

Otherwise for a similar mount/cheekwell profile, these are my other favs:

TI-7 STock - (probably my favorite stock) https://ar15sport.com/product/colt-t...arpart-clt-ti/

B5 Bravo: https://www.b5systems.com/products/bravo-stock

As I said though, there are a lot of considerations in choosing a stock, as you can see from my first two examples, wide shoulders and angled/rolled toes, as well as either QD sockets, or a vertical sling slot are important selection criteria to me.

As far as your rail goes, your 15 inch tube offers plenty of length to stretch out, add accessories, and also doesn't leave much barrel exposed. This is the profile I prefer for several reasons. I actually have a nearly identical MI tube to which I'm particularly partial. I have mounted a QD socket cup to the end of the rail by using the end most screw hole, you could do the same on any of the screw hole locations so long as the gas block doesn't interfere. As far as a VFG goes, your profile looks identical to mine, except mine is a 13 inch rail on a 13.7 upper, flip your rifle over and make sure the 6 o'clock slots aren't keymod, mine are.

If you want to get a new rail, the LaRue and the ALG Defense offerings are the best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned.

Hope this helps.

ETA - looking at your picture this is what I'd do:

1) TI-7 stock (Magpul MOE SL second choice)

2) B5 Type 23 grip

3) Ambi-safety (not listed but one of my requirements for anything I own)

3) QD socket attached to rail (use screw holes)

4) MagPul VFG - Keymod if your tube is like mine, if not get an MLOK, use the first attachment hole to screw into the screw hole on the rail and the back MLOK to span the slot - that is what I had to do to get the placement I wanted on mine, even though it has Keymod slots at the bottom, solid as a rock.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-23-20 at 17:44.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    If you don't plan to mount a light or anything to the handguard, why change it out?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    If you don't plan to mount a light or anything to the handguard, why change it out?
    Agreed. If there is nothing getting attached but a grip, then buy a rail panel and save some money for the optic.

Feedback Score
    I agree with others to leave as is. Of course, I never change any of my ARs once built. I keep them the same FOR EVER. If I want something different, then I build it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post

Starting from the rear, it’s a Magpul stock of some kind. I don’t remember which though. The little compartment in the stock is kind of useless to me. I’m ambivalent to the stock. I could be convinced to swap it or I could be talked into leaving it.
    As mentioned above the stock is a Magpul ACS-L, which is the Lightweight version of the ACS (regular ACS has battery storage tubes running down both sides, -L does not). I have one. It's a fine stock. Not overly heavy, nice cheek weld, the friction thing (Magpul seems to have moved to internal leaf springs now but the friction lock thing works fine), and the little storage compartment to me is useful. I like to put a couple foam earplugs, a little vial of oil, sometimes light/optic battery (like 1-2 CR123), hell I'll even put a couple cartridges of ammo in there because why not? Use the right number of foam ear plugs and you can have no rattling around and still have useful earplugs should the need arise.

Stocks are a pretty personal choice as also stated above though and there are tons of choices out there.

It sounds like this is not a duty or professional use rifle or even a home defense or patriot use rifle, just another in your stable that you take to the range sometimes, so as said if you only want a handstop or grip on the rail that's easy enough to do no need to spend money on a rail, or a light. Now if you want it to be go-toable for social work or whatever else, I'd upgrade that optic and mount a light and some sling attachment points and probably do a new m-lok rail as part of that. 13", 15", other ", whatever floats your boat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast