Page 286 of 353 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 3523

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm not sure how prevalent this is, but how has your churches handled this? I did see a church service ending in predominantly black church close to my place yesterday that was full of people coming out. It's obviously a difficult issue.

Florida Church Packed with Worshipers

The River Church in Tampa was packed to the gills with worshipers who clearly were looking for hope. Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, who presides over the megachurch and has been reportedly defiant over social distancing, has claimed he'll cure coronavirus just the way he did with Zika.

He has vowed he will never close his church ... despite every doctor and scientist saying social distancing is the only thing that will prevent the disease from spreading even more.

The Pastor boasted his place was white-glove clean, saying, “We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place, and uh, if somebody walks through the door it’s like, it kills everything on them. If they sneeze, it shoots it down at like 100 mph. It'll neutralize it in split seconds. We have the most sterile building in, I don’t know, all of America.”

Howard-Browne said on March 17, "We are not stopping anything. I've got news for you, this church will never close. The only time the church will close is when the Rapture is taking place.”

Cont:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/29/chruc...virus-worship/
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost, I saw discussion on the service, but not on this:

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tampa...LbooLGoCO7e2qw

Hot Take: This is blatantly unconstitutional. Yeah, they should have stayed home, and not risk spreading the virus. There are other options for spreading the word, and fellowship could still be had by organizing small groups. That said, it's still not justification for a direct violation of the First Amendment. The Consitution can not and should not be thrown out the window every time there's an emergency, or there really are no limits on government. I don't know or care about the policies of this mega-church or pastor. Honestly, he could be as crooked as a dog's hind leg, and it wouldn't matter. This is still a clear and direct violation of the free exercise clause.

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised by this. It's only a matter of time til we get another Waco out of this because not everyone will go quietly. This is the kind of overreach I've been worried about since before the initial restrictions were put in place. The number of people who are bootlicking over this is alarming, especially the ones that'll do so because of their hostility towards religion.
    Disagree. You don't do mass functions during a pandemic. Religious or not. If you said Church functions only, or it extended past the pandemic, then you could get injunctive relief. Otherwise, one of societies and govt's base functions is the common health. Literally prehistoric.

All I know is, those people better go to the back of line for vents. A choir in the PacNW that met on March 10 has 46 of 48 people sick with two dead and they supposedly spaced and Purelled.

If you are banning all big events, it means all big events.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    S. Korea. For those following the science, nothing new per se, but interesting to get the S Korean med POV.

Why have they had so few cases and deaths? Here's their head Covid expert discussing the topic, and it's well worth the watch. That people may re catch it is scary to be sure. He does not seem to put much stock the airborne route it appears, and the 6' rule applies well, so really a concern where there's people in enclosed spaces too dang close to each other, but not outdoors.

Note in the US, masks are a big debate, this doc says they're absolutely of value (min 16) and he's giving the real reasons why the US, WHO, etc does not recommend them: fear of hording masks making them scarce for medical professionals. That's a legit concern, but telling people masks don't work only makes them lose faith in other recs...

Very telling, doc thinks a key reason S Korea has much fewer cases of this virus is due to the fact most Koreans where masks.

Note, they actually learned something from the last few viral outbreaks and actually (wait for it!) were pro active about how to be prepared for the next outbreak. What a crazy idea no?! That's sarcasm all. There's reasons the US may not be able to replicate the S Koreans being different countries in size, demographics, culture, etc, , but the US et al should probably view the S Korean approach as the model to aim for as best we can. Not sure that self quarantine tracking app would go over too well in the US however, we 'Muricans are very sensitive about that type of thing. According to the doc, China is controlling it well but many, yours truly included, would prefer to take our chances with Covid 19 and dangerous Liberty over being "saved" by draconian approaches employed by that, or any other, communist government. Doc refers to it as a "cultural difference" but ya, no. That's a "culture" you can have.

Best case? If the world actually works together, July/Aug we may have this under solid control, if we don't, it will be back around typical flu season and be added to the other viruses we have to deal with, unless a vaccine is developed. Remember, only about 50% of people in the US get their flu shot cuz they're watching too much Infowars and other crap vs using their brains and such. Even if one is developed, will be used for those at high risk for a long time.

Thanks for sharing this one Will.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Remember Obama bailed out GM, the execs there are probably still holdovers from the US ownership period.
    Oh, I'm well aware. And considering governments of all types are going to be the primary customer of said ventilators, they really have no room to gripe.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    CZ pistols rock and it seems the Czech republic also knows how to rock Corona.

https://youtu.be/jZtEX2-n2Hc

The USA government lied to us. For good reason, if they said everyone has to wear a mask, we would have numerous murders to get masks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost, I saw discussion on the service, but not on this:

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tampa...LbooLGoCO7e2qw

Hot Take: This is blatantly unconstitutional. Yeah, they should have stayed home, and not risk spreading the virus. There are other options for spreading the word, and fellowship could still be had by organizing small groups. That said, it's still not justification for a direct violation of the First Amendment. The Consitution can not and should not be thrown out the window every time there's an emergency, or there really are no limits on government. I don't know or care about the policies of this mega-church or pastor. Honestly, he could be as crooked as a dog's hind leg, and it wouldn't matter. This is still a clear and direct violation of the free exercise clause.

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised by this. It's only a matter of time til we get another Waco out of this because not everyone will go quietly. This is the kind of overreach I've been worried about since before the initial restrictions were put in place. The number of people who are bootlicking over this is alarming, especially the ones that'll do so because of their hostility towards religion.
    Completely disagree. This is not a new concept. Medical quarantines go back at least to the 14th century. And there have usually been serious consequences for breaking quarantine. Take a look at Mary Mallon....aka Typhoid Mary. As an asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid in the early 20th century, she spread the disease to families she worked for as a cook. Officials figured it out and quarantined her I think on North Brother Island in N.Y. City for three years. They released her making her promise never to cook for anyone again. She lied...and she was captured and sent back to Brother Island for the rest of her life.

How about Andrew Speaker in 2007? He had an antibiotic resistant strain of TB. Yet he went beebopping off to Europe knowing full well he was contagious. Fearing quarantine overseas he returned to the U.S. where he was arrested by the FBI and quarantined in Denver. He was eventually released after treatment but he had to report to his local health official 5 days a week until he was deemed absolutely non-contagious.

These are criminal acts. If that asshole pastor gets anyone sick and they die, he should be held for manslaughter. Nothing in our Bill of Rights waives criminal behavior for freedom.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    “Scheduled Maturity Date: July 15, 2020”

W T F
    Someone please review this and tell me I’ve got this straight. Investors purchased in June 2017 and wouldn’t get paid, unless a pandemic hit before the maturity date in July 2020? World Bank, WHO, G7 all mentioned in article.

World Bank Launches First-Ever Pandemic Bonds to Support $500 Million Pandemic Emergency Financing Facility

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/pr...ncing-facility

“ The PEF covers six viruses that are most likely to cause a pandemic. These include new Orthomyxoviruses (new influenza pandemic virus A), Coronaviridae (SARS, MERS), Filoviridae (Ebola, Marburg) and other zoonotic diseases (Crimean Congo, Rift Valley, Lassa fever).”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    I suspect what sent everyone back to the drawing board was the spring breakers getting infected and then dispersing across the South East, spreading it to areas that would have most likely remained clear.
    Agree
    Today’s selfish selfie taking narcissistic people for sure did damage

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Completely disagree. This is not a new concept. Medical quarantines go back at least to the 14th century. And there have usually been serious consequences for breaking quarantine. Take a look at Mary Mallon....aka Typhoid Mary. As an asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid in the early 20th century, she spread the disease to families she worked for as a cook. Officials figured it out and quarantined her I think on North Brother Island in N.Y. City for three years. They released her making her promise never to cook for anyone again. She lied...and she was captured and sent back to Brother Island for the rest of her life.

How about Andrew Speaker in 2007? He had an antibiotic resistant strain of TB. Yet he went beebopping off to Europe knowing full well he was contagious. Fearing quarantine overseas he returned to the U.S. where he was arrested by the FBI and quarantined in Denver. He was eventually released after treatment but he had to report to his local health official 5 days a week until he was deemed absolutely non-contagious.

These are criminal acts. If that asshole pastor gets anyone sick and they die, he should be held for manslaughter. Nothing in our Bill of Rights waives criminal behavior for freedom.

Heavyweight
    I'd think that one comes under public endangerment? While I see how that's an issue of that would raise issues of Const. Rights, I'm thinking this one comes under "you can't yell fire in a movie theater" either. When you're endangering others by blatantly ignoring basic best practices to prevent others from getting sick, that's not how it works.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    “Scheduled Maturity Date: July 15, 2020”

W T F
    Someone please review this and tell me I’ve got this straight. Investors purchased in June 2017 and wouldn’t get paid, unless a pandemic hit before the maturity date in July 2020?
    It's the opposite. Investors get paid in full only if there is NOT a pandemic of the specified types. See this statement:

"The Notes will not be fully repaid if an event occurs"

The press release there doesn't explain it well, but this is a common though rarely publicized type of insurance called catastrophe bonds. Investors bet that some event will NOT happen, and if they are right then they get high interest payments at maturity. If they are wrong, their interest AND principal are at risk. For COVID-19, I'll bet the entire bond amount gets used up for pandemic relief and investors get nothing at all.

WHO actually delayed calling this a pandemic for a month longer than they should have, most likely because of this bond issue.

Press articles:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...means-for.aspx

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN20D2HI

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amiyato.../#778a9b323b7e
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 03-31-20 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    It's the opposite. Investors get paid in full only if there is NOT a pandemic of the specified types. See this statement:

"The Notes will not be fully repaid if an event occurs"

The press release there doesn't explain it well, but this is a common though rarely publicized type of insurance called catastrophe bonds. Investors bet that some event will NOT happen, and if they are right then they get high interest payments at maturity. If they are wrong, their interest AND principal are at risk. For COVID-19, I'll bet the entire bond amount gets used up for pandemic relief and investors get nothing at all.

WHO actually delayed calling this a pandemic for a month longer than they should have, most likely because of this bond issue.

Press articles:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...means-for.aspx

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN20D2HI

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amiyato.../#778a9b323b7e
    Thanks for explaining. To a layperson it’s not that clear.

Page 286 of 353 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336 ... LastLast