Page 315 of 353 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 3523

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Wu Flu might be more than the flu but it also doesn't warrant this autistic response. In 2017 heart disease killed over 647,000, cancer 599,000 and diabetes 83,000 in the US alone, but nobody even cares about that shit. We're still stuffing our faces with fatty, sugary foods. COVID is scary because its new and the government and media is feeding the frenzy. One thing we do know is it mostly kills boomers. So, in reality, it's absurd that us younger people have to be locked up too, forced to wait until 0900 after boomer hour is over to get into Publix for our tendies only to find out that the same class of people thats been sucking social security dry also suck all the toilet paper, paper towels and tendies dry too.
    I know you’re opinionated, but this is an ignorant response even for you. None of the shit you listed is contagious so it’s literally worthless as a comparison. If someone stuffed their face for decades but died early because of it, that’s their fault. Not how this shit rolls. And the boomer shit is just childish. If nothing else, according to many reports they tend to lean conservative. Wipe out a whole bunch of that generation and the country is in even worse hands. Grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yes, what you state is correct.

I assume you are in the same general age group as myself (mid-50's). You led a pretty HOOAAHH career with a Ranger flavor, so no doubt had to be in top condition. But you're not a 30yo Ranger anymore. Surely you can't rule out that Father Time may have some "surprises" for you just below the surface like he has for many folks (actually most by that age have something either known or hidden.....that's why nobody lives forever). Hell, you even mentioned in previous posts about guys who had hidden little "gotchas" they didn't even realize until they were afflicted with something.

My concern with catching it stems from a couple of things:

1) I'm 54yo, not 24 or 34.

2) I've had high blood pressure since I was 21 and in the Army. Well controlled with meds, but the meds I'm on right now cause me concern (Lisinopril, which is an ACE inhibitor and it appears that doesn't play well with COVID-19. Trying as of now to get those meds changed to something else).

3) "Pre-diabetic". The beetus runs in my family, so not surpised. I exercise every day, cardio one day and weights the next, 7 days a week. I am convinced that is the only thing keeping me from being squarely in the diabetic range. How long I can stave it off is anyone's guess.

So I "check a few boxes" on the higher risk side, hence my wishes to not contract it. I don't smoke, so there's that.

Yep.

In my 50s.

No hypertension, morbid obesity, kinder disease, or diabetes.

But I have seen guys my age or younger with healthier eating habits, that don’t skip a bunch of their workouts have bad medical stuff.

My main frustration if this not being viewed with perspective.

And this cannot be the new normal.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    In a little over four weeks, more than three times as many Americans have died of this corona virus than did in the 9/11 attacks. Less than two recoveries per death(obviously many are unreported asymptomatic cases so this isn't going to hold up as true.) This number will look like child's play by next weekend. That isn't true of the freaking flu. Do I believe that the economic legacy will live long past the death toll? Absolutely.

I don't think it means we suspend the constitution or inherent freedom. However, the longer a bunch of people poo poo it, the longer we're going to need to stay in this really really restricted new reality that we have found ourself in.

Yes the Navy captain freaked out for 20-40 year olds. Yes half of them won't appear sick at all...and maybe only fifty would die if it went unchecked. Are y'all under the impression that the other 49% are just able to press on with duty? Not an insignificant percentage of cases are released as "recovered" with glassified lungs. Absolutely ****ed. No idea if it recovers eventually or not.

If the numbers being reported over the next three weeks don't make some of you question your positions...I don't know what to say. Read the end of the New Testament about how Christians are supposed to behave during plagues might be a good start.
    Keep things in perspective.
    About 250k people die in America every month.
    The USA had its first positive test in February.

And, overall, with different state, county, hospital, etc. policies-
    Testing is not performed on most.

We are coming up on 350k positive tests, and 10k dead.

This does not mean COVID kills 10,000 people out of 350,000 people that get it.

Between false negatives, people admitted with other sources of fever and not tested, people not meeting earlier testing criteria, etc.
    what we are looking at is that those 350k positive tests came from the fifteen percent of people symptomatic enough to seek care, and mostly from the twenty or so percent of those that were tested and or/admitted.

This means there are about 10 to 12 million people in America that have or have had Corona. And so far 10,000 dead.

Nobody is at zero risk. But, again, it is not a death sentence. We have about 15 to 65 million people get the flu each year. With deaths ranging from about 15,000 to 60,000 each year. With vaccines that vary each year but overall are about 60% effective.

It seems to have found this horrible spot between flu and MERS in terms of severity rates and transmissibility, , but non severe enough in most to get widespread instead of burning out human transmission like SARS.

This virus is not a good thing. Too many people with mild symptoms for it to burn out and only reside back in its original/animal host. The genie is out of the bottle geographically. You are going to get exposed to it. This year, or the next, or the one after that. This is painting a pattern for very likely becoming seasonally endemic.

Odds of severe complications are worse than the flu. But it’s not a death sentence.

But the world cannot function the way it is now. The odds overall are highly in the majorities favor. While MERS and SARS never panned out with a vaccine, if it’s possible, this will get one.

Society cannot function long term like the current situation, nor take a time out for months each year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    WTF is with you and all these weird ass descriptions of worthy and unworthy people?

Is it okay to just be a productive member of society, or did I miss the boat by not being a fvcking Army astronaut?

So what two examples would you have used to demonstrate?

Would nonexistent characters from entertainment like Khan Noonien Singh’s parents compared to Clevon Jr. with Kayla, Katelyn, Rebecca, Gabriela, Becky, Meg, etc. work?

Do you have some kind of complex and hate these types of people or don’t think they exist or something?

I have never been anti productive members of society. People that work for what they have, have pride, don’t take handouts, and suck up the tough times are what made America what it was. Leapfrogging ahead of countries with ten or twenty times the history.

Do I have disdain for non productive members of society? Different story.

The now single mom that had her husband die in Iraq and slogged out her ADN at the local community college is a good, productive person. But she’s not going to be coming up with novel medications or a vaccination for corona virus. The guy that spent four years in the USMC and is now a cop is a good productive person. But he’s not going to be coming up with the solution or breakthrough to the weight to power storage lithium battery ceiling for electric vehicles. I don’t understand the baseline animosity overall in society nowadays towards the people that are. I come from lineman, loggers, miners, and farmers. I have an appreciation for but no animosity towards them.

But I have lived in a very different world since leaving.

Is one of the guys I was Infantry with in Ranger Bn a Ph.D. Department chair at a university? Yes. Do I know a married test pilot/MD couple. Yes. Is another former enlisted infantry guy I knew the chair of a department at a medical school? Yes. Is another former enlisted Infantry guy I know an MD/Ph.D? Yes. Do I work with a guy that was a naval aviator and TopGun? Yes. Did a bunch of guys I was in with become operators through E9 and O6 level? Yes. Was an Annapolis grad SEAL I knew now a trauma/critical surgeon? Yes. Did guys I used to know and work with in the military now still work for the government at HRT or OGAs? Yes. Is a guy I know and used to work with on the space station right now? Yes. Was I long term involved with wartime and peacetime CT response to CBRNE with the appropriate brains and education? Yes. Could I give a bunch more examples but won’t? Yes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I call up and say “oh, you’re home”.

Kind of the reverse of when I was in China and I asked people if they had any brothers or sisters.
    I text from the living room and then follow up with “#social distancing”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Wu Flu might be more than the flu but it also doesn't warrant this autistic response. In 2017 heart disease killed over 647,000, cancer 599,000 and diabetes 83,000 in the US alone, but nobody even cares about that shit. We're still stuffing our faces with fatty, sugary foods. COVID is scary because its new and the government and media is feeding the frenzy. One thing we do know is it mostly kills boomers. So, in reality, it's absurd that us younger people have to be locked up too, forced to wait until 0900 after boomer hour is over to get into Publix for our tendies only to find out that the same class of people thats been sucking social security dry also suck all the toilet paper, paper towels and tendies dry too.
    This is an absolutely incorrect way of thinking about this IMO. This is a true pandemic and it warrants a proper response. What we really need (and we needed this from the start) is widespread testing for both infection and for immunity. Those individuals who are immune can go on about normal business and keep the economy rolling.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-06-20 at 06:11.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

We are coming up on 350k positive tests, and 10k dead.

This does not mean COVID kills 10,000 people out of 350,000 people that get it.
    What is known as of today is that 336k people have tested positive. Of those 336k cases, 28k have resolved. 18k have recovered and 10k died. So... it's actually 10k dead from a total of 28k resolved cases, not 336k. The remaining 300k known active cases have not yet been reported as resolved one way or the other. The number of active cases is increasing by the tens of thousands each day.

The number of untested/unreported recovered cases is pure speculation at this point. Won't know much until antibody testing is done.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-06-20 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    So what two examples would you have used to demonstrate?

Would nonexistent characters from entertainment like Khan Noonien Singh’s parents compared to Clevon Jr. with Kayla, Katelyn, Rebecca, Gabriela, Becky, Meg, etc. work?

Do you have some kind of complex and hate these types of people or don’t think they exist or something?

I have never been anti productive members of society. People that work for what they have, have pride, don’t take handouts, and suck up the tough times are what made America what it was. Leapfrogging ahead of countries with ten or twenty times the history.

Do I have disdain for non productive members of society? Different story.

The now single mom that had her husband die in Iraq and slogged out her ADN at the local community college is a good, productive person. But she’s not going to be coming up with novel medications or a vaccination for corona virus. The guy that spent four years in the USMC and is now a cop is a good productive person. But he’s not going to be coming up with the solution or breakthrough to the weight to power storage lithium battery ceiling for electric vehicles. I don’t understand the baseline animosity overall in society nowadays towards the people that are. I come from lineman, loggers, miners, and farmers. I have an appreciation for but no animosity towards them.

But I have lived in a very different world since leaving.

Is one of the guys I was Infantry with in Ranger Bn a Ph.D. Department chair at a university? Yes. Do I know a married test pilot/MD couple. Yes. Is another former enlisted infantry guy I knew the chair of a department at a medical school? Yes. Is another former enlisted Infantry guy I know an MD/Ph.D? Yes. Do I work with a guy that was a naval aviator and TopGun? Yes. Did a bunch of guys I was in with become operators through E9 and O6 level? Yes. Was an Annapolis grad SEAL I knew now a trauma/critical surgeon? Yes. Did guys I used to know and work with in the military now still work for the government at HRT or OGAs? Yes. Is a guy I know and used to work with on the space station right now? Yes. Was I long term involved with wartime and peacetime CT response to CBRNE with the appropriate brains and education? Yes. Could I give a bunch more examples but won’t? Yes.
    All your examples are either fat sick retards about to die or Supermen! No normal

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    As far as the ChiComs go, I will echo WillBrink: Fvck China!
    We need to apply that sentiment to our elites as well. Without their decades of effort, covid would not have had the mass of carriers enter the US from China.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    What is known as of today is that 336k people have tested positive. Of those 336k cases, 28k have resolved. 18k have recovered and 10k died. So... it's actually 10k dead from a total of 28k resolved cases, not 336k. The remaining 300k known active cases have not yet been reported as resolved one way or the other. The number of active cases is increasing by the tens of thousands each day.

The number of untested/unreported recovered cases is pure speculation at this point. Won't know much until antibody testing is done.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    It is my understanding that most, to all, of the tests are being administered only to the serious cases in Kentucky which will skew the results.

Page 315 of 353 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325 ... LastLast