Page 263 of 353 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 3523

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Oxygen saturation should generally be above 90 in just about everybody but a specific few types of pathology, but greater than 94 is considered normal. Lots of things can alter that, and medical providers often get fixated on it as a metric when there are better parameters by which to judge oxygenation. ABNAK is a respiratory therapist, and this is definitely in his wheelhouse.

Pneumonia really is a disease of the lungs, infection, but it can be caused by a variety of different types of bugs. Not all pneumonias are created equally, some are worse than others. So no, not same bug.

The medical folks are happy to answer these kinds of questions, the more you know and all.
    I can explain why the viral pneumonia caused by COVID19 is particularly nasty. It attacks the lungs in three phases:

1. Your lungs have two types of cells....those that generate mucus and those that make cilia. Cilia are like little baseball bats. The mucus traps the virus or other contaminants and the cilia beat it out of your lungs. COVID19 does an excellent job of attacking the cilia which prevents you from effectively coughing up the viral laced mucus.

2. Next your immune system kicks in to battle the inflammation rapidly advancing in your lungs. The inflammatory response in the body is usually a very tight, controlled response. But with COVID19 we see the body flood the lungs with immunity response. Instead of those cells just repairing and clearing the damaged lung tissue, they kill everything they come into contact with. So you get more damage instead of less from your own immune response.

3. During the third and final phase your lung damage continues to build. The body’s immune response punches tiny holes in the lungs giving them a honeycomb appearance under fluoroscopy. These lesions cause scar tissue which can stiffen and protect the lungs. But in the short term this further diminishes lung capacity and this is generally when we put the patient on a ventilator. Meanwhile inflammation makes the membranes between the lung’s air sacs and blood vessels more permeable and this can then further fill with fluid.

Man...I hope this makes sense. I’m really tapped guys. Going back to bed.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    I can explain why the viral pneumonia caused by COVID19 is particularly nasty. It attacks the lungs in three phases:

1. Your lungs have two types of cells....those that generate mucus and those that make cilia. Cilia are like little baseball bats. The mucus traps the virus or other contaminants and the cilia beat it out of your lungs. COVID19 does an excellent job of attacking the cilia which prevents you from effectively coughing up the viral laced mucus.

2. Next your immune system kicks in to battle the inflammation rapidly advancing in your lungs. The inflammatory response in the body is usually a very tight, controlled response. But with COVID19 we see the body flood the lungs with immunity response. Instead of those cells just repairing and clearing the damaged lung tissue, they kill everything they come into contact with. So you get more damage instead of less from your own immune response.

3. During the third and final phase your lung damage continues to build. The body’s immune response punches tiny holes in the lungs giving them a honeycomb appearance under fluoroscopy. These lesions cause scar tissue which can stiffen and protect the lungs. But in the short term this further diminishes lung capacity and this is generally when we put the patient on a ventilator. Meanwhile inflammation makes the membranes between the lung’s air sacs and blood vessels more permeable and this can then further fill with fluid.

Man...I hope this makes sense. I’m really tapped guys. Going back to bed.

Stay safe

Heavyweight
    #2 is the dreaded "cytokine storm", your post was a good explanation for non-medical people.

#3 explains why COVID-19 patients seem to have pinkish frothy secretions that have to be constantly suctioned out of the ET tube. The increased permeability of the AC membrane allows blood to mix with the secretions and give it that pink color.

I hope you get better soon, REAL soon. Please keep us posted as there are several of us here who are HCW and will be all up in this crap.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer, but has it been shown one way or another if you can re-catch this damn thing once you've had it and recovered?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    #2 is the dreaded "cytokine storm", your post was a good explanation for non-medical people.

#3 explains why COVID-19 patients seem to have pinkish frothy secretions that have to be constantly suctioned out of the ET tube. The increased permeability of the AC membrane allows blood to mix with the secretions and give it that pink color.

I hope you get better soon, REAL soon. Please keep us posted as there are several of us here who are HCW and will be all up in this crap.
    Brother....you be careful around that shit. Don’t wind up like me. Let your guard down for a second and you’ll be sick.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    I don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer, but has it been shown one way or another if you can re-catch this damn thing once you've had it and recovered?
    Maybe. Truth is we don’t know yet.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    Brother....you be careful around that shit. Don’t wind up like me. Let your guard down for a second and you’ll be sick.

Heavyweight
    Where do you think you faltered? Like specifically if you can recall. I will be sure to heed it myself and pass it on.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Where do you think you faltered? Like specifically if you can recall. I will be sure to heed it myself and pass it on.
    I think I tore my glove intubating a patient and completely missed it. I was soooo tired. I washed up as soon as I noticed but too little too late. Professionally embarrassing.

Feedback Score
    I think I tore my glove intubating a patient and completely missed it. I was soooo tired. I washed up as soon as I noticed but too little too late. Professionally embarrassing.
    It's not absorbed through the skin though right? If you washed up it *should* have fixed the problem. Unless you touched your face before washing.

It's supposedly an airborne precaution right up there with TB. The whole skin thing is a little disheartening.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Look like Corona is sticking a fork into Playboy...

Playboy is pulling the plug on the print edition of the once-risque magazine — coveted by roughly half the population for its glamorous photos of nude women and even some of its articles — citing the novel coronavirus as hastening the decision.

The company has been mulling an end to the magazine for awhile, but the decision came more quickly "as the disruption of the coronavirus pandemic to content production and the supply chain became clearer and clearer," Ben Kohn, CEO of Playboy Enterprises, wrote in a Medium post on Wednesday. "We were forced to accelerate a conversation we've been having internally: The question of how to transform our U.S. print product to better suit what consumers want today."

Coronavirus kills 66-year-old Playboy
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    Here in Delaware our Democrat Governor got his wish to restrict firearms and ammo sales for the next month and half. The Delaware Legislature, with the backing of the Governor, have been trying to ban "assault" weapons for a few years now with no luck. But looks like they'll use this crisis as a backdoor way of preventing gun sales until the state of emergency is lifted on May 15. Never let a good crisis go to waste it seems.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...se/2915573001/
    Sporting goods also includes all the gear used for camping which is essentially survival gear.

Page 263 of 353 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313 ... LastLast